SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#200123 - 04/11/02 09:50 PM A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Mosiqaar Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
Hi guys,

I just bought a used Live sound system that included (what I remember anyway)

-Fender (AMP A, AMP B) 600W power amp
-Fender 16 Channel mixer (dual effects, dual equalizer, and other functions)
-6 Shure Mics SM58's
-2 Fender 15" Speakers
-1 Fender Powered Monitor (300W)
-Another 300W power Amp (QSC)
-5 Mic Stands with BOOM
-AKAI 3CD , Dual Deck stereo (or is KAWAI? )
-Mic, Instrument and Speaker Cables
-SHURE Mic QG something...($169 brand new)
-Mixer, Power amp, and second power amp are all cased up.

When I went home, the package was missing the SHURE QG MIC and one BOOM Stand and the second Speaker cable. On top of that the Mixer has some channels that the volume slides on them make noise when moved (especially if there is sound going through). Its like a broken wire or something, very bad noise, and the worse part is the Master Volume slides have that problem as well.

I got the deal for $1500 (the system is over 5 years old), but the guy said if its missing something or something does not work right, he is willing to work with me and drop the price some. How much should I get him to drop?

I want to make sure that the problem on those volume slides is fixable other wise I will return the entire package. So considering the SHUR MIC , Cable, BOOM STAND, and FIXING the Mixer, what should I negotiate ON?

Thanks.

#200124 - 04/11/02 09:56 PM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Mosiqaar Offline

Really I originally wanted to ask, is the problem on the mixer something I can fix? or is it better to take it to a technician? I am handy on fixing things on my keyboards but I never messed with Sound Equipment (this is my first system).

Also if someone knows exactly what type of equipment I have, can you explain how to hook things up? I want to confirm that the way I did it is the right way and that its not whats causing the mal function in the mixer (even though I doubt that cause certain channels work just fine).

The mixer has AMP A in and AMP B in, and it also has MONITRO OUT AND MAIN OUT L AND R. The POWER AMP (600W) HAS AMP A SPEAKER OUTPUT JACKs (2 quarter inch jacks) and AMP B SPEAKER OUTPUT JACKs. The way I got sound is by taking AMP A OUT (from the AMP) to one of the Speakers (I only operated one speaker to test), then I took AMP B OUT (from the AMP) to the AMP A IN on the mixer. Can someone advise if this is correct? If I want to hook up the other speaker how do I do so? Am I getting full power by doing this? or is this only giving me half the power?

Thanks all

#200125 - 04/11/02 10:47 PM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Hi Mosiqaar,
Sounds like your slides are dirty!
Slids are very good at getting dirty!
Their open and dirt can easily get down in them. You will have to clean them.
Do they sound like static when you move them?
The problem is that people don't keep a dust cover on them, as much as they could, this would help a lot. If you got the right kind of cleaner you could spray them and move them back forth maybe 9 or 10 times, they will probably clear up.
I've did it on a lot of a lot of electronic devices when I was in the repair busness.
But that's a pretty expensive piece, you could go inside, but those slides are closed controls. So you might as well clean them from the top!
Go to Radio Shack or some place like that and tell them what you want to clean. Just try one at first when you spray in the slide groove, work your slide back & forth several times,. That cleaner will all evaperate.
Turn the power off while your cleaning,if it's poping a lot.
Hope this helps.
Nobby
PS: Be careful with that hookup, it don't
sound right! Without the proper load you could burn up a output transister! But I'm to tired to think.
I'll try to get back with you tomorrow!
Good Night,
Nobby

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 04-12-2002).]

#200126 - 04/11/02 11:09 PM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Mosiqaar Offline

Thank you very much NOBBY.

I will look for a cleaner, but do you happen to know a cleaner name or brand?

Also please get back with me on the hook before I do burn something.

Thanks

#200127 - 04/12/02 12:33 AM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
"Chemtronics" PR Contact Cleaner II

is a suitable product available in the UK.

#200128 - 04/12/02 12:37 AM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Mosiqaar Offline

Thanks Macallcock , I will check if we have it in USA.

#200129 - 04/12/02 05:05 AM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The price you paid is VERY fair .... if everything works. I wouln'nt worry about the missing items, because you got more than your money's worth - HOWEVER, I would ask that the seller reimburse you for a trip to the shop to "clean & service" the mixer. I'm not sure(shure?) about that missing mic model, but with all you got ..... it's stilla deal. I'd be happy if the seller took care of the repair, and maybe threw in that missing speaker cable too.
Don't split hairs about the mic unless it's really important to you. The 6 SM58's are worth almost $500 by them selves. You got a great deal .... if it works.

#200130 - 04/12/02 05:48 AM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I spent 10 years servicing organs and amps. You probably won't believe this but WD-40 works as well as anything for noisy volume controls. Just stick the red tube by the slider and give it a good shot. Then work the slider up and down fast about 10 to 20 times. I would purchase contact cleaner for dirty key contacts or relays but for noisy pots WD-40 works great.

Tom

Tom

#200131 - 04/12/02 06:21 AM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Be VERY careful about the way you hook it up. Generally Amp A output will go to one of the mains, Amp B output to the other main. You will find a monitor out on the board and this can be connected to your powered monitor.
The extra power amp can be used for another monitor system or . . .?
I don't think you should run Amp B output to the power amp input. It MIGHT give you a bunch of power for mono use, but it might be very dangerous. Find an experienced sound person in your area to show you the various ways you can configure your new system. Do this BEFORE you experiment.
DonM

#200132 - 04/12/02 08:33 AM Re: A question about FENDER 16 CHN Mixer
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Be VERY careful about the way you hook it up. I don't think you should run Amp B output to the power amp input

YES !!! YES !!! YES !!!

This is MOST important. Never connect the output of one amp to the input of another unless you are SURE that the connections are correct. If it's a speaker output, it will be like connecting two garden hoses from two faucets and turning the water on full blast, from both ends. BURST / SPLASH !!!
BIG, big trouble, my friend.

Only "LINE" outs, or "PRE"amp outs can feed another amp input. Please be sure before you try any of this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online