SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#1997 - 01/02/06 10:40 PM Softsynth query
2ndIrving Offline

I want to buy a softsynth for a laptop computer, to replace the bad default softsynth that comes with Windows. I have been very satisfied in the past with Yamaha XG, but it seems to be unavailable now. I compose classical music using Mozart software, which enables me to hear part or all of the composition without exiting the program -- but I need a softsynth that will produce realisitic imitations of acoustic instruments. Can you advise me? thanks for your attention.

#1998 - 01/03/06 12:33 AM Re: Softsynth query
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello There
1. The sound chips in most Laptop computers are normally total rubbish, and so no matter how good the soft synth is the sound that is output will still be awful, so your first port of call is to purchase a good quality external sound card.
2. The standard Wavetable synth that comes with Windows is based on Roland’s GS sound set, and with a good sound card is not to bad, (And its free) but it is more popular in the USA then Europe, which due to Yamahas dominance embraced the XG sound system.
3. Soft synths vary considerably in price, so what is available depends on what you have to spend. (Like all things you get what you pay for)
4. Many Synth Zone members use Laptops, so your best bet is to go to the search page and do a search for Laptops, Soundcards and Soft Synths, which will give you the details you need, and where to go from there.
Hope this helps.

Bill

#1999 - 01/03/06 06:44 AM Re: Softsynth query
2ndIrving Offline

I went to the list of soft synths, and I got dizzy because I don't understand a lot of the jargon. What I am looking for is something very cheap and basic (I paid $25 for my Yamaha XG software), and I don't need or want a lot of options for tweaking it. I just want my MIDI output to sound more like acoustic musical instruments. My limited experience tells me that Yamaha is superior to Roland in this regard, but I am hoping that someone with more experience can guide me to a product that is simple, affordable, and meets my needs.

#2000 - 01/04/06 06:05 AM Re: Softsynth query
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/trident/starwars.mp3

if you like the above, (it comes from a midi file I found on the net) check Edirol HQ Orchestral VST synth.

Basically it is a sofware synth (VST), focusing only in orchestral sounds and it sounds nice. Needs a virtual "rack" to be installed on, like Brainspawn's Forte. www.brainspawn.com

Check the General arranger keyboard forum for posts from frank rosenthal, bluezplayer and rikkisbears to get an idea.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online