SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#1862 - 01/03/06 07:23 AM Buying on Ebay
analogcontrolfreak Offline

Hi Gang,

Just wanted to share something with all of you. I got an e-mail last night from Ed, about buying a Waldorf Microwave XT off of Ebay, and he asked my opinion, about a particular auction for a Microwave XT. Mainly because I have had some good and bad experiences with Ebay. He had sent me a link to the auction and also asked what I thought about the price. I had to be honest with him in that: One the price was way too good to be true, and second I did not have a good feeling about the seller. For one thing the seller lives in China, and second has no feed back score. This person could be a new seller, or someone out to rip people off. Not only that the description for the item was vague. There was no way of knowing whether or not the item was in working order or not. Or if the picture was of the actual item. Ed even sent me a copy of the e-mail he had received from the seller. Which was very vague when I read it. Not much information. Even though the price was good, I told Ed he should not pursue this auction and look elsewhere on Ebay for another Microwave XT. Not everyone with a zero feedback rating is going to be a bad seller. Just remember to ask questions before you bid on an auction from a seller with a Zero or low feedback ratting. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Many of you know of my story about a guy in Israel wanting to sell me a Minimoog Synthesizer for $350.00. Even though it has been a couple of years since that happened. I have learned form this experience and decided that I should share this experience with others about buying on Ebay.

Ebay is a wonderful place to buy a lot of good stuff, as well as, a lot of junk. Provided you are careful, who you buy from. I have heard a lot of horror stories about people getting ripped off on Ebay, and then turning around and blaming ebay for being ripped off. Blaming Ebay for getting ripped off, is like Blaming McDonalds for getting a bad cheeseburger. As long as you are careful, and do your research you will have a very enjoyable experience.

Don’t jump at something just because the price looks good! As an online friend told me “If it’s too good to be true. It probably isn’t.” Point taken! For one thing a Minimoog for $350.00 is not going to be worth while. Also no one sells Minimoogs for $350.00, when they can get $1,300.00- $2,000.00 for one. $800.00 maybe, but that’s unlikely.

They best advice I can give to anyone who wants to buy on Ebay is this.

Always check the sellers Feedback rating. The higher the rating the better the seller. Although this is not always True. If they have 100% Positive feedback ratting then they are a safe bet. 98.5% I would ask questions. Anything lower. I wouldn’t bother.

Ask lots of questions about the item being sold. Plus get as many pictures as you can.

Make sure the description is thorough . “Works good” or “AS IS” is a RED FLAG in my book. Unless the seller explains why the item is AS IS or Works Good.

Check the location of the seller. Make sure the City and Sate or Country is listed. (East Cost or the Person’s Ebay ID does not count. East cost could mean anywhere?)

Make sure they have multiple forms of Payment, not Just Pay Pal only. Not everyone is going to feel secure with Pay Pal. Even though they are secure and safe.

Find out if the seller offers a refund. (I do this whenever I sell on Ebay.)

Check to see what shipping options are offered. FEDEX, UPS, DHL and the USPS are the best bets for shipping.

Also do a follow up email to make sure both parties are satisfied. Once the transaction is complete.

I always to my best to make sure my auctions go smoothly and with out a hitch. Honest is always the best policy.

In conclusion. If you do your research and ask lots of questions. You will have a wonderful experience buying and selling on Ebay.

If you would like to ask me any questions in private. You may contact me at analogcontrolfreak@verizon.net or pkondig@msn.com

Paul

BTW ED. I hope you don't mind I used your name?

#1863 - 01/03/06 08:02 AM Re: Buying on Ebay
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Paul,

Thanks for sharing with us. I am a seasoned Ebay and have learned the hard way myself. I agree with all of your tips and advice. I personally refuse to do any business on Ebay with people that do not have any feedback or have changed their user id.

Regards,
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#1864 - 01/03/06 08:06 AM Re: Buying on Ebay

Thank You Al!

I forgot to mention, that there are interactive tutorials for new users.

#1865 - 01/03/06 09:09 AM Re: Buying on Ebay
MrEd Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by analogcontrolfreak:
Hi Gang,

Just wanted to share something with all of you. I got an e-mail last night from Ed, about buying a Waldorf Microwave XT off of Ebay, and he asked my opinion, about a particular auction for a Microwave XT
Mainly because I have had some good and bad experiences with Ebay.

"He had sent me a link to the auction and" .... Paul

BTW ED. I hope you don't mind I used your name?

Paul,
You can use my name any time. No problem.
I just don't remember sending you a link last night.

Good tips anyway.
Ed & I thank you for your support

#1866 - 01/03/06 10:37 AM Re: Buying on Ebay

No problem Mr.Ed.

#1867 - 01/03/06 05:11 PM Re: Buying on Ebay
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Hi Paul,
Sure you can use one of my many many many names!

To be hundred percent honest it wasn't seller's location that made me suspicious. I mean I bought stuff from China before and I had no problems. by the same token I bought stuff from the US and had problems with that. Just shows that seller's location isn't everything. At least according to my experience.

In this particular case the seller couldn't even communicate right. Didn't answer any of my questions with enough detail. Couldn't even provide a serial number. Price also seemed unreal (mind you I bought stuff on eBay at super super super low prices. Mostly from sellers who didn't know that they were selling something worth more than what they wanted for it. Of coarse I couldn't help but take advantage of that! ).

It was a no brainer actually. I just wanted to run it by you anyway. Hey, thanks for the PrePal link there!
I was going to ask you about it actually but it's as if you read my mind.

Later!

-ED-

------------------
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
- - - Oscar Wilde

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online