SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#199978 - 06/14/02 10:03 AM Jam session yesterday at Bebop's home
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
HI All,
Yesterday I was honored to have Scotttyee, Dreamer, and Cliffand come by for an all day jam session. We played a ton of great music!
Scott brought his hopped up psr 2000, along with Dreamer (Andrea from Italy) playing my new 9000 and me playing my KN6000. It was a great day of music and singing. We really got a great comparison of the three boards and I have to say they are all just terrific. Cliff Anderson from this forum was here and he played my KN. He didn't bring his Korg, Darn!
Scott is a tremendous performer. Andrea has great talent, and Cliff and I listened a lot and played as little as we could get by with, so we could listen to these two fine performers. These boards all have their strength and weaknesses, just like all the people around the world that play them
I concluded it is the talent and not the board or operating system that makes the BIG difference. I can explain this remark in depth but I don't think anyone on this forum needs that explained
Thank you guys for coming by and please come again. My wife just loved the music and so did my little Pomeranian dog Rocky.
Thanks to Denny and Don Mason for the great stuff you emailed me. I will write you.
Best to all from Bebop, a happy fellow with three new friends

#199979 - 06/14/02 11:56 AM Re: Jam session yesterday at Bebop's home
Clif Anderson Offline

Thanks, Bebop

for hosting the get together. We had the pleasure of meeting Bill's (Bebop's) wife Janelyn (spelling?) and his "stud" Pomeranian, Rocky. Scott presented a full package of singing plus playing (including Bill Evan's style rootless chords), while "most" of us, soloed and joined in on the jams. A special thanks to Andrea (Dreamer) who initiated this get together by making music a priority during his visit to the San Francisco Bay area.

Clif

#199980 - 06/14/02 04:11 PM Re: Jam session yesterday at Bebop's home
rgtaa Offline

Sounds like Fun!
Arranger Jam session!
WOW!

#199981 - 06/14/02 08:27 PM Re: Jam session yesterday at Bebop's home
Dnj Offline

Sounds like you guys had a ball. Its always fun to get together with other musiciand and play together, have lunce and just talk shop. Goty any pictures we can see?

Dnj

#199982 - 06/14/02 11:12 PM Re: Jam session yesterday at Bebop's home
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Donny,
Yep we all had a great time playing & jamming and hanging out. As I suggested on a separate thread, I hope (when Tom Cavanaugh is visiting your area), that you East Coast guys can somehow arrange a get together like we did too. In addition to checking out each others acts, having a separate private get-together jam provides a better opportunity condusive to getting to know each other thru playing music together & just hanging out together. - Scott

#199983 - 06/15/02 03:50 PM Re: Jam session yesterday at Bebop's home
BEBOP Offline

Scott has pictures on his site for you. check his thread on this jam session for the URL.
Yes it was a fun day and we had a great lunch too at a place that Scott knew of in San Jose. Hey that dude must really get around. I think the waitress knew him too
I wonder who that old far_ is with that good looking young chick. Probably her Gramps
Bebop

#199984 - 06/16/02 10:15 PM Re: Jam session yesterday at Bebop's home
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Hey Bebop,

Was just thinking about your jam session with the three boards. The two thousand, the nine thousand and the six thousand. Did you realize you had seventeen thousand of keyboard going straight ahead. The ultimate board - Yee bebop’n dream 17000. Maybe Scotties Bebop’n Dream? Could be Dreamer’s dream. If Cliff and Bill sat out and listened to Scott and Andrea they would have 8500 of keyboard each. Awesome!! Was there any keyboard dueling going on? Who won?

OK, OK!! Just an old man playing the numbers game. After all what else is there to do for an old man sitting on the front porch in Grandpa land? Wouldn’t you know it, all the kids came over for fathers day. Even the grand kids, trying to make me feel good, remarked how good I looked. I know, I know, the part they left out was - for my age. They always say the same thing when your laid out at the - no no, I don’t want to say the word. Anyway, quote: He looks so good, so natural! Natural? Is that the way I look now? Dead? Is that my natural look? Depressing.

Anyway the grand kids get a kick out of old gramps popping out his teeth. They think it’s great fun. Sucking in my cheeks and talking funny is always a winner with them. False teeth is kind of like trying to make my keyboard with long black and whites' sound like my tenor sax with little round pearl keys. Sort of cuts the mustard but not quite. The mouth piece has changed. Oh well, grandpa’s are good at making the best of what they got or haven’t got.

Got something to look forward to. Can’t wait for this fall. When I get my seven thousand, add my six thousand five hundred to it and factor in my five thousand I’ll have a full hundred and a half more than you guys. I’ll invite a couple of my old arthritic friends over and we’ll have one thousand eight hundred and fifty of keyboard going straight ahead. The extra hundred fifty of keyboard should make up for any talent deficiency. What do ya think?? Come on guys, how about some feedback. Some day you’ll be here too.

Grandpa Doug

#199985 - 06/17/02 07:19 AM Re: Jam session yesterday at Bebop's home
BEBOP Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Douglas Dean:
Hey Bebop,

Was there any keyboard dueling going on? Who won?

Oh well, grandpa’s are good at making the best of what they got or haven’t got.

keyboard should make up for any talent deficiency. What do ya think?? Come on guys, how about some feedback. Some day you’ll be here too.

Grandpa Doug

Hey Doug. Enjoyed your amusing post here. Your great sense of humor is always refreshing.
I guess you weren't talking to me when you said, "some day you'll be here too", or else you didn't go to Scott's site and look at the pictures
I thot I might comment about the keyboard making up for any lack of talent. IT DOESN'T!!! The four of us discussed this at lunch and concurred that real talent can get the best music out of either the most or least expensive keyboards. Conversely lack of talent can't get much music out of any keyboard, even arranger keyboards. The music is inside the person and made up of all life's experiences, colored by studying, practicing, and performing, the on-going learning curve, as well as many other minor contributors.
The last song you submitted for my 20 for 1 song project volume 9 really shows that type of talent. This is one of the finest arrangements I have ever heard of this song in the key of Jazz. I have a number of your songs and they all show this real talent. I expect you are around my age, so I rest my case.

I didn't feel there was any keyboard dueling going on. Each person there tends to specialize and the others respected that, and we listened and enjoyed each other's talents.
Hope we get more feed back on this, or even start a separate topic for this type of discussion: Talent vs. Bells and Whistles.
Best to all from the Bebop

#199986 - 06/17/02 01:10 PM Re: Jam session yesterday at Bebop's home
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I'm jealous .... you "seasoned" citizens have all the free time AND all the money to buy, buy, buy !!

#199987 - 06/17/02 02:27 PM Re: Jam session yesterday at Bebop's home
BEBOP Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
I'm jealous .... you "seasoned" citizens have all the free time AND all the money to buy, buy, buy !!

RIGHT Eat your heart out I earned the free time and the money. I still have the money cause I buy a keyboard once a year not once a week
Best to ya,
Bebop

#199988 - 06/18/02 03:49 AM Re: Jam session yesterday at Bebop's home
Clif Anderson Offline

I think most of us that have met Bebop are a little envious. Here is a man who has lived two full lives--as a musician and as a businessman. He has emerged with a lovely wife (also a singer and a musician), a home built around a studio, an adorable pet, graciousness, and a bright future! Hard to top that.

#199989 - 06/18/02 06:27 AM Re: Jam session yesterday at Bebop's home
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:
I still have the money cause I buy a keyboard once a year not once a week

Ooooh - that hurt. I guess you think I get one more often than I change socks, huh? I am constantly searching for a better tool to facilitate my life's work. I can't help it if no one has figured out how to build a better keyboard yet !

#199990 - 06/18/02 07:02 AM Re: Jam session yesterday at Bebop's home
Dnj Offline

Fellas!...easy..fellas!

Whats next?.. A Synthzone Arranger Forum members Celebrity Boxing Match? :>)

#199991 - 06/18/02 08:23 AM Re: Jam session yesterday at Bebop's home
BEBOP Offline

Thank you Cliff for your reflections.
Dave, you keep on keeping on and you will ultimately find the right board for your talents. In the meantime it is good to hear the pro and cons of the boards you are checking out. Keep up that good work.
DNJ: At one time I would have thought that might be a great idea having been a boxer both in high school/college and pro for a time after that. I used to have a ring set up in my back yard and took on all comers every afternoon. Now I have a rocking chair and a keyboard instead
That is the reasong I had to quit playing horns. I always had fat lips, and no teeth

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online