SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#199791 - 04/15/02 03:03 PM Mackie
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Is the Mackie stereo powered mixers held in the same high esteem as the SRM 450 powered speakers are?

In other words, are they worth a lot more than say Yamaha stereo powered mixers? Or any other brands? It seems the Yamaha stereo powered mixers on Ebay go for a bit less than the Mackies. The Mackies are about $700.
Thanks again,
Boo

#199792 - 04/15/02 04:31 PM Re: Mackie
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I don't think anybody makes better equipment than Mackie. I have a Mackie 1204VLZ mixer and previously had a 1604.
Having said this, I think Peavey has by far the most value for the dollar spent. And their customer support and service is really great.
DonM

#199793 - 04/15/02 06:11 PM Re: Mackie
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The Yamaha powered mixers are the weakest link in the Yamaha line up. I would'nt recommend them. The Mackie, EV and Peavey are the top three that I like.

#199794 - 04/15/02 08:32 PM Re: Mackie
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Right, Uncle Dave. I borrowed a friend's new Yamaha powered mixer, the one with 3 power amps. Sure enough it was pretty neat to have stereo and monitor power at the same time.
However, the thing is way underpowered. I was pushing it to run 2 keyboards and 2 vocals. Also, the effects were very limited.
I haven't used many EV products lately, but the Peavey units have excellent digital signal processors, and also have the built-in Feedback Eliminators that show instantly which frequencies are peaking.
And Peavey has always had a great number of patching options.
DonM

#199795 - 04/16/02 06:30 AM Re: Mackie
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Boo, Don, and U.D.

Generally speaking you are right about the Yamaha powered mixers. I have the 3 amp one Don mentioned. The effects are almost useless. That being said, I use it with our
bigband and for solo jobs. I run all mics (including mine from output 3 of the x1) out of the monitor channel amp. I run my x1 out of the mains L & R. I pan my bass pedals totally out of the side 'L' going to a Traynor 15" cabinet and I use a 10" Traynor cabinet on the right. I use a pair of Peavey speakers for the vocals coming out of the monitor amp.

For solo work this 15" & 10" L & R combination gives me great bottom end without the need for a sub. The 15 is a pain to carry though. I don't use the Peaveys for solo or trio work.

There has been more than enough power for any of the clubs that we play (Moose, Elks, Country Clubs, VFWs and American Legions).
With the volume slider on my X1 at 3/4 this amp is LOUD.

The amp does all this for me in one package and I paid 589 dollars for it.

My criticisms of the amp are: poor input sensitivity (you need a strong input signal, my EV767 works very well, thanks for the recommendation on that one U. D.), poor effects, it is awkward to carry, there is no easy way to store the power cord.

I would buy it again for my type of use. Now for you guys with all your heavy metal sounds and your huge venues I'm sure you need MORE POWER. For me at the country club playing a little Satin Doll it works fine.

Tom

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online