SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#199573 - 01/21/07 09:55 AM Demo: Roland V-Synth GT at NAMM 2007
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Check out Roland's new V-Synth GT demo showing how it can emulate all the nuances of a Violin:

Roland V-Synth GT Demo

It would take gigabytes of multi-samples to achieve this if done on a Rompler.

The V-Synth GT has created quite a stir over at the Roland Forum.

Tapas

[This message has been edited by Tapas (edited 01-21-2007).]

#199574 - 01/21/07 06:22 PM Re: Demo: Roland V-Synth GT at NAMM 2007
Canadian Mountie Offline

Loc: Canada
Seems like this new animal hasn't created a lot of discussion here. Could it be that us arranger folks wouldn't know where to begin with such a beast? Looks mighty impressive off the get go though...
-Jon

#199575 - 01/21/07 09:38 PM Re: Demo: Roland V-Synth GT at NAMM 2007
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
just listened to the Bert Smorenburg demo and the XS violin sounds every much as good and accurate as the Roland. What is the big deal ? I dont believe that the above violin demo shows the evidence of gigabytes of sound technology. The rompler did just as good a job using just Megabytes. Have a listen for yourselves http://www.yamaha.com/namm/w2007/videos.html?CTID=5041010&SUB_CAT_ID=5041675&VNM=LIVE&LGFL=N

#199576 - 01/21/07 11:54 PM Re: Demo: Roland V-Synth GT at NAMM 2007
F161 Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Spalding1:
just listened to the Bert Smorenburg demo and the XS violin sounds every much as good and accurate as the Roland. What is the big deal ? I dont believe that the above violin demo shows the evidence of gigabytes of sound technology. The rompler did just as good a job using just Megabytes. Have a listen for yourselves http://www.yamaha.com/namm/w2007/videos.html?CTID=5041010&SUB_CAT_ID=5041675&VNM=L IVE&LGFL=N

Agreed. The XS is stunning! Blows away the Roland imo. That is one of the most entertaining demos I've seen for a while.

Regards
James

#199577 - 01/22/07 12:57 AM Re: Demo: Roland V-Synth GT at NAMM 2007
spalding4 Offline

Loc: england
The funny thing is Berts demo is hardly any diferent to the demo he did featureing the motif ES and i challenge anyone to see if the XS sounds any different /better than its predecessor the ES.

It just amazes me as to how so many musicians are willing to hand over their hard earned dollars/pounds etc for marginal or minimal differences in the boards they already own and DONT FULLY UTILISE. I understand 6that certain individuials have a lot of cash floationg around and so a couple of grand here and there wont matter but this is not a phenomenon exclusive to the wealthy. I think the numbers of individuals willing to trade in their ES's for the new "improved " EX's is quite crazy.Its like the few individual that are selling their PA1Xs for the Pa800 which is essentially the same board (although granted the increase in polyphony and individual track EQ is a real difference).

Have a listen to Berts EX demo and then go to yamaha's site and listen to him demo the ES. The similarities are quite shocking.

#199578 - 01/22/07 03:05 AM Re: Demo: Roland V-Synth GT at NAMM 2007
F161 Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by spalding4:
The funny thing is Berts demo is hardly any diferent to the demo he did featureing the motif ES and i challenge anyone to see if the XS sounds any different /better than its predecessor the ES.

It just amazes me as to how so many musicians are willing to hand over their hard earned dollars/pounds etc for marginal or minimal differences in the boards they already own and DONT FULLY UTILISE. I understand 6that certain individuials have a lot of cash floationg around and so a couple of grand here and there wont matter but this is not a phenomenon exclusive to the wealthy. I think the numbers of individuals willing to trade in their ES's for the new "improved " EX's is quite crazy.Its like the few individual that are selling their PA1Xs for the Pa800 which is essentially the same board (although granted the increase in polyphony and individual track EQ is a real difference).

Have a listen to Berts EX demo and then go to yamaha's site and listen to him demo the ES. The similarities are quite shocking.

Yep agreed, Berts EX demo is similar to the ES one. I find him a true entertainer and he has a passion/enthusiasm for the Motifs.

I agree that the step up to the EX doesn't seem that much - the more technology progresses, it seems the harder it is to improve on already fantastic products (certainly sound quality wise imo). As an example, I think the Tyros 2 is a fantasic arranger keyboard, at the very top of it's league, but from my perspective, I can't really see how much more they can improve it, other than giving us more sounds and styles and a bigger keyboard.

To me, the best way companies like Yammie are making progress is in the new MM6 and PSR-S500 - offering cheap keyboards that give us the quality sounds/styles of the high-end models. To me this seems to be the way to go. That's why I can't wait for the PSR-S900 - I'm sure that this will be a Tyros 2, but for half the price.

As for people trading up to the new flagship models, I can sort of understand this - some people just have to have the latest models/technology, regardless of the benefits over the previous model. I've held off buying a Tyros 2 myself, as I can't justify the price with the PSR-S900 just round the corner. Don't get me wrong, I think the T2 is the best arranger keyboard on the market, and everytime I listen to one, I want one. But if I can save a fortune and get a similar performance out of another keyboard, then I'll plump for the cheaper one.

I owned the original Tyros, and when the PSR 3000 came out, I sold the Tyros for £1600 and purchased a brand new 3000 for £1000. Not only do I get more playing satisfaction form the 3000 than I did on the Tyros, I bagged £600 in the process.

Mind you, if I did have money to throw around, I would no doubt be buying every new top-end keyboard release on the market!!

Regards
James

#199579 - 01/22/07 04:04 AM Re: Demo: Roland V-Synth GT at NAMM 2007
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Spalding, would you mind fixing your ultra-wide links in your posts? You can do this with UBB URL code or by visiting http://www.tinyurl.com and convert your wide link to a short link. Thank you; these super-wide links make the page stretch way wide and it's hard to view.

------------------
Bill
SmallGig.com
:::
As a songwriter, I need feedback on songs posted! Thanks!

#199580 - 01/22/07 04:54 AM Re: Demo: Roland V-Synth GT at NAMM 2007
spalding4 Offline

Loc: england
Cheers semi live . will do when i get home. The screen looks fine to me on my computer though and not stretched at all. why is that ?

#199581 - 01/22/07 09:53 AM Re: Demo: Roland V-Synth GT at NAMM 2007
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Spalding ..it shows fine on my computers too..Bill I think the problem lies with your screen...try holding down the control button and adjust with the scroll wheel on your mouse.

Several other SZoners have complained, and in fact the views are fine.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online