SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#199392 - 07/28/02 12:34 PM Yamaha PSR2000 Owner's POLL !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Due to the recent PSR2000 problems reported by Beakybird (style control button: membrane contact problems) & Uncle Dave (arranger button(s) dropping beneath the kb frame's surface), I thought it would be valuable to take a poll to determine if these problems were just a fluke (isolated defective part), or actually a widespread potential problem among all PSR2000's. It's particularly interesting because both Don Mason & I (owning/performing regularly with our 2000's since Oct & Nov 2001 respectively) have not experienced these problems, yet probably perform/play on our boards as frequently, and as intensely!? as Beakybird & UD do.

Yamaha PSR2000 Poll Questions:

1) How long have you owned the PSR2000?
2) Are you a pro or recreational player?
3) How frequently do you play it (hrs/week)?
4) Have you experienced any problems similar to those listed above and/or had any others problems with this keyboard?
Please Describe.

Thanks in advance to all PSR2000 owners for your participation in this poll.

Scott

#199393 - 07/28/02 12:41 PM Re: Yamaha PSR2000 Owner's POLL !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Scott,
I can answer for 3 PSR2000 owners. Two of my friends ordered them after seeing mine.
Two of us play just about every night and the other every weekend.
As you know, I am a full-time entertainer, and the other two guys are "week-end warriers".
In fact I've played both the other keyboards on the job recently and can report no problems whatsover. They both play harder than I do, but not quite as regularly.
When I go to one of their jobs I can just slip by floppy in and start playing.
All keyboards were bought before Jan. 1.
Don

#199394 - 07/28/02 01:15 PM Re: Yamaha PSR2000 Owner's POLL !
Mario Offline

Loc: Wayside, New jersey, USA
Scott:
Outside of the lack of sufficient Ram memory, lack of provision for a Hard Drive, and the "pitiful/exasperating" Yamaha file saving system procedure (You can't save a registration in a floppy unless you have the style on Ram), the PSR200 hasn't had any malfunctions as of yet.
I have owned mine for over a year and experienced absolutely no problems with it.
I play on average a couple of gigs a week.
The only reason I am looking for another KB is that I need a better storage facility and a better file saving system.
As to any hardware problems I had no problems related to the buttons. I also try to "caress" the keys when I play and use the sensitivity feature built in on every sound. Based on all this, every thing being equal, I am going to wait for the advent of the Tyros and hope all the "quirks" of the 2000 will be eliminated. Maybe there is a Tyros in my future.
Mario

#199395 - 07/28/02 02:00 PM Re: Yamaha PSR2000 Owner's POLL !
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Scott,
The first "Y2K" I bought I had to return. That was in "Jan." The problem I had was "very poor" action of the "dimple-switches" have had "Yamaha" KB in the past I knew what to look for and they just didn`t "feel-right"
Also there was a "louder than Amp" noise (hiss) comming from the speakers even when there was NO volume
And last (I think because of the dimple problem) some of the "LED`s" would "flicker" even though they were off or not in use.
After waiting and looking for another KB and reading the "post" here at the "Zone" I decided to try another "Y2K" , (In mid to late Feb.) but only from a place where I knew I could get a Full -Refund if it didn`t work out.
So far (knocking on wood) my 2nd "Y2K" has held up.
The dimple switches have a more "tactile-feel" and there is a "hiss" but no where near as bad as the 1st (this one just "amp-hiss")
And although there are some "LED`s" that flicker when they shouldn`t, it so far has not been a major issue in the performance of the KB, (not as many "flicker" )
Overall I wish it was built better. In the past they have made "better quality" portable KB`s and there is realy no excuse for the "shoty-workmanship" in the "Y2K" except , fo course to save them (Yamaha) money and leave it`s customers wondering why.
Would I buy another "Yamaha" KB maybe maybe not it would depend if they learned from there "short-commings" and produced a quality product.
jedi

#199396 - 07/28/02 05:03 PM Re: Yamaha PSR2000 Owner's POLL !
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got mine in December
From Jan thru May I played 4-5 nights a week and gave it a good workout at home.
It's the "off" season now, fewer jobs, but still play at home and set up new registrations.
I have had NO problems with the buttons or keys.
Eddie

#199397 - 07/28/02 05:45 PM Re: Yamaha PSR2000 Owner's POLL !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
As I recall, wasn't the 2000 one of the first Yamaha keyboards NOT made in Japan?

#199398 - 07/28/02 07:07 PM Re: Yamaha PSR2000 Owner's POLL !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I think the Kenner or Mattel factories made the shell ..........

#199399 - 07/28/02 09:08 PM Re: Yamaha PSR2000 Owner's POLL !
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Just to rehash my story... I had my 2000 for about 4 months ( including the 2 months or so it was out for repairs that never came to be ). I wanted to use it in a professional ( live ) setting. I never did get to log very many hours on it. My 2000 came with a woefully defective OS. The settings I stored in the registration memories were often not accurately reproduced when I recalled the registrations. Worst of all the problems was intermittent.. sometimes they recalled correctly and other times they did not, rendering the board totally useless for the purpose I wanted it for in the first place.. reliable live play.

Having come from other PSR boards, I was familiar with the Yamaha OS in general and I was quite certain that this was not a result of my own error. I sent my 2000 out for repair / possible replacement and heard nothing for weeks. After a while the dealer became involved and he loaned me a PSR1000. My suspicions were correct. Everything recalled exactly as I had set it up in the registrations of the 1000.

After evaluating my board, the tech at the Yamaha authorized repair center was in complete agreement with my assessment. He also found other bugs that I was not even aware of. He stated that he had no idea when replacement parts or an updated OS would become avaiilable to him. I contacted Yamaha but got no real help. I put a little more pressure on the dealer, but he also could not get a new board or any meaningful help from Yamaha either.

As there was no resolution in sight, the dealer offered me a full refund. I thought back to my previous repair nightmare with my 740 .. I had waited 11 weeks for repair of a broken pitch wheel because that's how long it took Yamaha to get him an "authorized " Yamaha replacement part. I later discovered that the offending part was a common potentiometer, the equivalent of which can be found at any Radio Shack store. I have a background in electronics. Had I known that this was the problem, I could have made the reapir myself in a few hours or less.

The choice was simple. I got a refund for my 2000 and I've never looked back nor have I regretted not getting a replacement.

I'm glad too. The board felt as flimsy as anything I can ever recall playing on. I have a pretty hard touch when playing at times. It's quite likely that I'd have broken something by now. Also, the OS upgrade fiasco soured me a bit.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 07-28-2002).]

#199400 - 07/28/02 09:19 PM Re: Yamaha PSR2000 Owner's POLL !
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Got mine in December... play it daily, maybe 1-2 hours... no damage or trouble yet...

Tom G.

#199401 - 07/28/02 10:03 PM Re: Yamaha PSR2000 Owner's POLL !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Thanks to everyone who's responded.

So far it's: 5 satisfied PSR2000 owners vs 3 disatisfied. Looking forward to getting feedback from MORE PSR2000 owners out there. Please post !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online