SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#174484 - 07/24/02 05:24 PM Your Favorite Instrument and Song?
KnightRobby Offline

Loc: United States
Hopefully this an interesing topic for you. What would have to be your favorite instrument, and what song represents this instrument the best? Hmmm...quite curious myself

For my favorite instrument, I would have to say...the piano. We (myself, and two other brothers) were involved with playing the cello, and of course, it is a beautiful and graceful instrument. I recall when I found more interest in the piano, however. I would always be playing the piano after Strings Class, and I had more of a desire to play it.

I felt it was, for one, a more comfortable instrument that I could handle, and the capabilities - in my mind - were numerous. I also love the piano because of the various songs, tones, and other such things you can present with those 88 keys. And of course, with such immense variety, you can come up with practically anything!

The same probably goes for many other instruments, of course. And what song would display the piano the best? Hmmm...Well, I don't recall the name of the composer, but I remember listening to "Rain Drops" by one of the classical composers, and it was so varied, and vibrant. But then again, I have my own songs of course They're grrrrrreat (all bragging aside!).

See You Later and Can't Wait To Hear,
Robby

------------------
American Conquest RTS Game: http://ptrnet.tripod.com/ac/ "The First and Largest American Conquest Website." - Heavengames.com

"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experiences of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired and success achieved."
- Helen Keller

See You Around On The Forum(s)!

[This message has been edited by KnightRobby (edited 07-24-2002).]

"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experiences of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired and success achieved."
- Helen Keller

#174485 - 07/24/02 05:50 PM Re: Your Favorite Instrument and Song?
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
HAAAA ,
I like this "topic" and it`s waaaayyyyy easy
I "split my KB and have two "Organ sounds" (left & right ) Then "layer" --"Srtings" for the bridge , and my favorite song?
"Whiter Shade of Pale" --- IMO one of the best songs for an "organ" ( I need a B 3 )
jedi

#174486 - 07/24/02 07:02 PM Re: Your Favorite Instrument and Song?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Robby,
I'm with YOU and consider the piano my FAV instrument. I love most the 'acoustical' nature of the sound & richness of tone it delivers as it really can't be matched by even the best digital pianos/synths out there. Afterall, sound emunating from speakers can never duplicate the way the sounds emunates out from both the sound board and surrounding wooden surfaces. Also, the over 7 octave range of an 88 piano is unmatched by any other acoustic instrument (except the pipe organ). Because of it's playing range, the piano has historically been the single instrument used to compose, arrange, and emulate the 'entire' orchestra. I would be willing to sacrifice (if I had to) all my music gear (Synths, keyboards, guitar, etc) but NOT my piano (Steinway B) .
Many of the classical composers used the piano to it's full advantage, but having to choose a particular song which demonstrates the piano best is too difficult a choice for me to make, so I won't. - Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

#174487 - 07/24/02 10:46 PM Re: Your Favorite Instrument and Song?
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
As an old guitar player, I like the guitars the most; naturally.
With that being said my 2 favorites are:
Oye Como Va and Black Magic Woman.

Eric

#174488 - 07/25/02 04:45 PM Re: Your Favorite Instrument and Song?
KnightRobby Offline

Loc: United States
Sounds like you guys know your instruments!

Quote:
song which demonstrates the piano best is too difficult a choice for me to make, so I won't.

I know, but I tried my best. Truly, though, you are right. There are so many of them, so many tones, different styles, that they are unique, and because of this, uncomparable.

See You Later and Play On!
Robby

- Helen Keller

#174489 - 07/25/02 05:47 PM Re: Your Favorite Instrument and Song?
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Hello Robby

My favorite instrument is a coustic guitar.
My song : Luiza ( Jobim's slow waltz)
You can linsten Luiza : www.compumusic.hpg.com.br

Brasilian regards
Chico

#174490 - 07/26/02 07:31 AM Re: Your Favorite Instrument and Song?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Too hard to decide. My favorites often change daily, but at THIS moment .... I have a strong love for the song that Gary Chapman wrote for Amy Grant to sing (they were married then, I think) called:

"All I ever have to be".
Another favorite is:
"Love has no pride" (Bonnie Raite version)

Those are two mellow choices - for a hipper, more happening sound, I just ADORE the funk/R&B stuff that Tower of Power did.
"You're still a young man", "You ought to be havin' fun", "What is Hip"????.. I can't single just one out.

Acoustic guitar has always been a favorite sound for me and also the Fender Rhodes (suitcase) and Hammond B3 - all terrific instruments, but if I had to listen to ONE instrument all day, everyday ......

(You won't believe this)

I think it's the cello.
It has one of the largest ranges in the orchestra, and has a haunting, soothing element that pulls you INSIDE the music. When played well .....

There's ALWAYS room for cello !

#174491 - 07/26/02 08:29 AM Re: Your Favorite Instrument and Song?
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Woooo...tough choice!!
Favourite instrument: guitar, although the sound of a well played B3 can't be beat.
However, my favourite sound, and I know this is gonna sound odd, is from the Gaelic pipes as played in the "Riverdance" production...now that's a haunting sound.
In keeping with the guitar/B3 thing, my favourite songs & tones, off the top of my head would be: Summersong, Whiter Shade of Pale.(Hey I know it's old...but it's classic)
Just my thots.

#174492 - 07/26/02 11:27 AM Re: Your Favorite Instrument and Song?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Very interesting responses... I got a kick out of "A Whiter Shade of Pale" being an 'old' song .... these kids!!! ..
I agree with the comments about acoustic guitar (I've often envied the fact that guitar players could play unplugged, no headphones, nothing), and play only for themselves .. and in the days when I was playing St. Patty's Day parties, I looked forward to the pipers coming in to entertain .... for a guy raised on Italian music, that's a stretch .. and while most instruments in the hands of a master will sound good, I have to agree with some others and say that the one instrument I love to listen to above all others is the acoustic grand piano .... it fits so well into soooo many types of music .. it's beautiful!!! .... one promise I've made myself upon retirement (in about 4-5 yrs)is to take piano lessons, so that hopefully before I join that Big Band in the next world, I would play well enough to give myself the privilege of at least a BABY grand .... but NOT before I could do it some justice ..... having a somewhat eclectic taste in music, with jazz as my primary listen (not talented or learned enough to play it), second to the piano would be the saxophone as played by the late greats: Paul Desmond, Stan Getz, Gerry Mulligan ....
As for a favorite song, .. IMPOSSIBLE!!! .... too many styles, too many moods, too many too manys to pick one ... it's as if I was asked what I would want for my final meal ... "A Buffet!!!" ... BUT !!! ... I find that I always enjoy listening to "All The Things You Are" ... it lends itself to so many styles, tempos, arrangements ... an American Classic ! ...
..... but then....
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 07-26-2002).]

#174493 - 07/26/02 12:45 PM Re: Your Favorite Instrument and Song?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
No doubt not even have to think

Guitar and allthough I own a lot electrics
I love to play my classic guitar the most.
favorit song to play. chaconne-j.s.bach
(transcription of segovia)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online