SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#199276 - 08/20/06 03:26 PM WX5 wind controller
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Any horn (sax) players out there with experience on the WX5. I'd like to get more realistic sounding sax solo's. Although I don't play sax, I remember enough basic fingering to think that I could string together a passable (short and well-rehearsed) solo if this thing works like I think it does. Anybody ever use one? What did you think? Thanks,

chas

#199277 - 08/20/06 05:12 PM Re: WX5 wind controller
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
Sorry can't help with the sax bit, but as the WX5 is a midi controller only (no internal voices) you would need advice on an appropriate sound module to use. The standard module would be the Yamaha VL70m with Patchman's EPROM installed. Others may take over from here with some advice as I have never played sax.
Keith

#199278 - 08/20/06 05:30 PM Re: WX5 wind controller
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hello.

I have both the WX5 and VL70m module. Honestly, if you plan on using the WX-5 with a PCM source, then you will need to customise the patches you wish to have the WX5 control.

This will give you a far more natural performance, but it will still never come close to what the WX5 can do when connected to a VL70m.

Physical Modelling and the dedicated WX5 port on the VL70m make it hyper realistic.

Kind Regards.
Sharp.

#199279 - 08/20/06 11:55 PM Re: WX5 wind controller
Flavie Offline

Loc: Ontario - Canada
Hi Chas,

I am using every night the Yamaha VL70m with Patchman's chip installed and it is great. However, I don’t use the WX5 but the Yamaha BC3 breath controller and I trigger the notes with the keyboard via midi. The result is the same and the guests are impressed with the sound. I would like to buy the WX5 someday though and master the technique because show wise it looks much better than the breath controller does. Anyway, the BC3 allowed me to start using this fantastic technology right away when I first discovered it almost two years ago. Using the bender or wheels on your keyboard will give a more realistic touch to your solo.
Regards!
P.S. BC3 is much cheaper than the WX5!!

[This message has been edited by Flavie (edited 08-21-2006).]

#199280 - 08/21/06 11:44 AM Re: WX5 wind controller
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of using it with the Tyros 2 but I might invest in the VL70m, especially if I can find one on ebay. BTW, thanks Sharp, for all the help with the PA1x Pro, through your informative posts and development efforts, over on the Korg sites.

chas

#199281 - 08/21/06 12:20 PM Re: WX5 wind controller
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
The BC3 and PlgVL board is one of the very reasons I'm reluctant to ever part with my Motif ES. Nothing I've played on hardware or software sounds as real to me. The VL technology is well over 10 years old, but I've yet to hear anything better.

AJ

#199282 - 08/22/06 12:41 PM Re: WX5 wind controller
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
cgiles, you might try just using a regular breath controller with the T2. The SA sax already seems to get legato/staccato right, just add the breath controller for volume/filter adjustment and you might get pretty close.

I'm also a HUGE fan of the KX5 remote controller - although it's MIDI is primitive, that pitch bend strip is to DIE for for doing scoops, trills and bends, and it has a breath controller input....

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online