SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#199270 - 04/02/05 09:25 AM using computer for music, need some help
Vadim Offline

Yesterday i bought m-audio 1x1 midi-usb interface and hooked up Roland va-76 to the computer. I made a set-up that va-76 is a controller and also a sound source, snd computer is just a sequencer. for now i have Cakewalk Music Creator, and Cubase SX Demo.
At first it was a night mare, sounds were doubled when i was recording the timing was off, some times it wasn`t recording at all, than there were different sounds playing that i didn`t select, than there were 2 different tones at the same time etc.... Well, now everything is clear to me (I lerned to turn off Local and stuff like that), exept that VA-76`s MIDI pages are a little confusing (like all keyboards have) it`s kind of hard to understand when there are all those Song parts keyboard parts TX RX Filters and all the other rocket science...

But my big concern is this:
In Cubase when I record first track timing is OK, second track timing is OK, but after 3rd track all the midi events are late!!! Is it beacuse my computer is too slow? Or because of the interface too slow? Or because I use my iterface as In and Out at the same time? I don`t know if in cakewalk it`s the same but I think in cakewalk it works fine, can it be the sequencer software?

#199271 - 04/02/05 03:18 PM Re: using computer for music, need some help
manic2257 Offline

Loc: australia
ensure that you are using the clock from within Cubase as the master, and set up VA's clock as slave(or as controlled by external clock source)..this prob doesnt really happen with sonar or home studio (both cakewalk progs)

peace, out

#199272 - 04/03/05 01:38 AM Re: using computer for music, need some help
Carrie-uk Offline

Loc: England
I know this could be blantantly obvious, but have you double clicked on the late midi tracks to look at the recorded note data? Do they all start at the beginning or do you need to select them all and pull them over to the left?

Sometimes when I record things like arpeggiators I need to select it all and pull it over a couple of notches into alignment.

Carrie

#199273 - 04/03/05 10:27 AM Re: using computer for music, need some help
Vadim Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie-uk:
I know this could be blantantly obvious, but have you double clicked on the late midi tracks to look at the recorded note data? Do they all start at the beginning or do you need to select them all and pull them over to the left?

Carrie

I opened the key editor, and all the notes are slightly off to the right ( late), and i recorded them in time.
Why does it happen?

#199274 - 04/03/05 10:30 AM Re: using computer for music, need some help
Vadim Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by manic2257:
ensure that you are using the clock from within Cubase as the master, and set up VA's clock as slave(or as controlled by external clock source)..this prob doesnt really happen with sonar or home studio (both cakewalk progs)

peace, out

It`s not the clock problem ( I record tracks 1 by 1), because first tracks are in time but when i record more tracks , than when I play them back the 3rd tracks and after are late, data is recorded late...

#199275 - 04/03/05 10:53 AM Re: using computer for music, need some help
Carrie-uk Offline

Loc: England
Vadim,

I've read lots of posts at Cubase.net where people have this problem. Are you using emulated midi ports? I know they have caused timing issues for people.

I'd suggest searching the Cubase.net forums and maybe posting your problem there.

Good luck!

Carrie

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online