SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#19872 - 02/13/00 12:40 PM Triton pro X or Kurzweil K2600
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hy there everybody!

Just finished my studies of computerscience
I'm about to make a 2 year old dream come true... Love to make music and gonna buy a
Synthie... But I can't decide between
the TritonProX(incl. MOSS option) and Kurzweil K2600 since it will be
my first device... Should by universal, easy to use and of good quality. I think costs are the same... So what would the experts say???

Many Thanks, greetings JOERG

#19873 - 02/13/00 04:16 PM Re: Triton pro X or Kurzweil K2600
Inray Offline

Loc: GREECE
If you are grand piano player and you need the most realistic sound then Kurzweil is your choice. If you really want a good synth engine (with sampling not as powerfull as Kurzweils but good enough for almost anything) with many preset sounds good and easy editing, cool present sounds, piano weighted keyboard (Pro X),nice midi realtime controllers etc then buy the Korg.
These two monsters are really different. From S&S engine to OS and from sound editing to sounding personality. It is not easy to give you an advice. Try 'em both and listen...
Until recently i had a Kurzweil 2500 in my home studio mainly to produce realistic piano sounds. Now i have Triton Pro (not X) with the extra piano PCM sample board but i found that piano sound is not as good as K2500. With a little editing on Korg's piano presets i found an interesting sound.

So the choice is yours. But believe me...
If you want one (maybe the only one) workstation synth with full extras buy Korg.

#19874 - 02/13/00 06:06 PM Re: Triton pro X or Kurzweil K2600
Matic Offline

Loc: Pace, Fl. USA
I plan on getting a Triton ProX next year when I graduate from college. These things are just too big for a dorm room! How's the piano expansion sound? I played on the Triton with the basic piano and I didn't favor it as much as my Trinity's. I don't know, maybe it was the effects settings.

#19875 - 02/14/00 12:42 AM Re: Triton pro X or Kurzweil K2600
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Matic:

Thanks for your answer. Well, since I don't need perfect piano-sounds at this time but I love synthie-sounds, I think I will decide
for the Triton. With the MOSS option it should be enough to discover for the next 6 month... I bet it's not gonna be the last synthie in my life (hehe)
Bye from Joerg

#19876 - 02/14/00 02:00 AM Re: Triton pro X or Kurzweil K2600
buinu Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
It's great that you've narrowed down your choices to only two synths but before you make your final decision, you may want to spend a considerable amount of time with each. Ask the sales person to set the synth up in a secluded area, bring you some decent headphones and the manual. Also, it might be best not to dig into both on the same day, leave yourself some room to reflect.

#19877 - 02/14/00 04:22 AM Re: Triton pro X or Kurzweil K2600
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
If you really want to get your hands dirty with powerful synthesis, the Kurzweil leaves the Korg standing- not that the Triton isn't powerful but the synthe architechture in the Kurzweil is just soooooo Deep! Yes adding the MOSS boards adds one of the most powerful synthe engines around to the Triton but this is an optional extra.

Soundwise, these 2 instruments are like chalk and cheese!- but they both sound AWESOME in their own special ways and it's up to you to decide which you prefer.

The Triton is much more powerful in the effects department (even adding Kurzweils KDFX option) but when it comes to sampling functions, the Kurzweil is more powerful- however, it will be interesting to see what Korg add to the sampler in version 2.0.

The Triton is much easier to get around than the Kurzweil with it's huge touch screen, but both have good operating systems.

Both sport decent onboard sequencers with their own unique ways of doing things and they both sport decent arpeggiators. I love the huge ribbon controllers on the Kurzweil and the 8 sliders are nice too, but the Triton also does quite well in the real time control department.

If you can't decide then you could always buy both!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheers.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online