SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#198407 - 09/30/00 12:40 AM Uncle Dave...Professionalism Personified !
Dnj Offline

I got a chance to catch Uncle Dave's act last night at a town not too far from me. The man is a super class act all the way! An excellent musician, singer and entertainer. I was very impressed with his professionalism and his selection of songs was superb. The new Roland VA7 sounded extremly nice also. Uncle Dave also gave me the opportunity to try out his Solton X1 and I was very very impressed with it's operation and most of all the styles and sounds. Being a K5000 user for years, I was blown away with the Solton x1 on all counts. Drums were stunning! What a great keyboard, and I thank Uncle Dave for the chance to evaluate it and making me a believer.

Donny

#198408 - 09/30/00 11:25 AM Re: Uncle Dave...Professionalism Personified !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Donny and Uncle Dave,

Sounds great to be able to see and hear fellow arranger keyboard musicans (on this board) perform. I wish I could've been there. Unfortunatelyl, living on the 'other side of the continent' doesn't make it very convenient.

Yes, I remember what a 'stand out'(lot's of kick & punch) the Solton X1 drums have. How about the acoustic piano sounds? When I initially auditioned the X1, the acoustic piano sounded pretty lame, but I heard that Solton updated their piano sample in a later X1 ROM update. Donny, I'm curious to hear how you rate the 'updated' X1 acoustic piano sample, especially being a long time KN5000 player, as myself. How does the Roland VA7 sound compare to the X1 and KN5000? How does this all compare to the PSR9000? Wow... so many options.

BTW: What songs did Uncle Dave play last night?

- Scott

California (SF Bay Area) , USA

#198409 - 09/30/00 12:44 PM Re: Uncle Dave...Professionalism Personified !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Scott, this is the other Don, but I also played the KN5000 for a year or so, and then sold it to Donnie. The upgraded X1 piano is excellent and in my opinion is better than the Technics. I still prefer the 9000 piano to either one, but other ears might think differently, just as they do when comparing acoustic pianos.
If the X1 buttons had been in the right place, I would most likely still be playing it, but absolutely no complaints about the 9000 other than the weight.
Don

#198410 - 09/30/00 10:03 PM Re: Uncle Dave...Professionalism Personified !
Scottyee Offline

Uncle Dave,

Nice mix of tunes.
I'm sure you made the audience very happy as these are the tunes audiences here in CA seem to be asking for too. Yes, "Brown Eyed "Girl seems to be the top requested classic tune these days.I wish I could have been there to see your show.

I think it would be so cool to
have a convention where arranger keyboard entertainers from around the world could meet, play, share information, and PARTY together. Anyone interested?

BTW, Uncle Dave, could you please tell me what the weight of the VA7 is? Oh, and can the VA7 recognize the type of 'rootless' chords I outlined in the "I played a Kn6000 today and WOWWWWWWWW" thread?

Thanks,

- Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 09-30-2000).]

#198411 - 09/30/00 10:36 PM Re: Uncle Dave...Professionalism Personified !
Dnj Offline

A typical selection when I gig would be and remember even though I'm 48 my crowd is 55 to 85yrs old every night! I live near retirement heaven :>) would be....

After the Lovin, Summer Wind/On a Clear Day,Way You Look Tonight,
Just a Gigilo, Kansas City, YMCA, Moonlight Seranade, In the Mood, Apple Blossom Time, Smile, New York New York, Quando Quando (merenque), I just called to say I love you,
Last Waltz, My Way, Crazy, Shake Rattle and Roll, Wonder of you, All of Me, Polka, Waltz, Peobody, Tango,Samba, OT R&R, Rhumba, Italian medleys (Tarentella/Mazurka) For the good Times, Macarena, Electric slide, Achey Breaky heart, 50's, etc etc etc :>) Hope you get the picture!

Donny

#198412 - 09/30/00 11:50 PM Re: Uncle Dave...Professionalism Personified !
Dnj Offline

hahahahahah Dave I hear ya :>) hey you never know I might pass on something to you sometime too! Patty Duke Players ..... Hmmmmmm :>)? You wanna be Patty or Cousin Cathy?

#198413 - 10/01/00 12:06 AM Re: Uncle Dave...Professionalism Personified !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Small world. There's only a song or two in both lists that I don't do. At present I do a little more Country, but Sunday night I have a dance group that requests NO country. Only Swing, Standards, Big Band, etc. I love 'em!
One Thursday a month I play a Senior Citizens' dance. 7:00 to 11:00, no smoking, no alcohol, just dancing. It keeps you honest to play for somber people now and then!
Don

#198414 - 10/01/00 12:15 AM Re: Uncle Dave...Professionalism Personified !
Scottyee Offline

They're cousins,
Identical cousins and you'll find,
They laugh alike, they walk alike,
At times they even talk alike ...

you can lose your mind

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 10-01-2000).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online