SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#197439 - 04/22/05 04:23 PM Re: value of backups
John_CA Offline

Loc: Kern county, CA, USA
Gary,

Sorry to hear that. Hate HD's when they do that and it seems that their SMART technology that should warn you before it happens isn't all that either

But on top of that loosing 1200 pictures would make me go sh*t the word "dang" in the yard (in bold)

Feel for ya
John

#197440 - 04/22/05 05:05 PM Re: value of backups
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks guys and gals,

The new 120 gig Maxror is installing as I type this. picked it up at Best Buy for $99 this afternoon. Next step's installing the software again. Should be able to get in done in a couple days.

Just another fun day in paradise,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#197441 - 04/22/05 09:18 PM Re: value of backups
travlin'easy Offline

Back in business again on the primary desktop. Oh well, I've only been at it since 6 p.m. and it's just after midnight. I'm gonna hit the sheets real soon--lond day tomorrow.

Cheers,

Gary

#197442 - 04/23/05 12:24 AM Re: value of backups
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Gary wrote:"The biggest loss was about 1,200 new photos that were shot during the past two months--they were still on the hard drive when it crashed."
Hi Garry. Not sure what went wrong with the HD which crashed but I lost about 400 photos a few months ago and got them all back using a piece of software called 'File-saver'
It depends of course where your images went to. If they are still on the HD somewhere (and that may be the case!) you will find the aforementioned software of use.
I am just leaving right now for a short break away, so if you wish to have alook at the ware , the details are at the bottom of my index page on www.yamahakeyboards.info
Hope this helps.
cheers
Eddie Johnson

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#197443 - 04/23/05 04:52 AM Re: value of backups
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Sorry to hear that, Gary!
I had have many HDDs chrashed in action. The most time it was only Windows that crashed and killed the boot section so that the HDD couldn't start anymore.

1. If you have installed your new system on your new HDD then put the old HDD on the primary slave (the new one should be on primary master), boot up your new system and peer at your windows manager if you can see the partitions of your old HDD. In the most cases the old datas can be saved on this way.
2. If this won't help anymore then try the way that Eddie adviced

I've never lost any data since about 2 or 3 years because the most HDDs do nevertheless work after a crash.
I hope you will save your pics at all!

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#197444 - 04/23/05 05:57 AM Re: value of backups
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks Eddie and Sheriff,

Sheriff, the drive completely crashed, and I'm not sure if any of the data is recoverable because of the readings. However, I placed the drive on my workbench and hope to try Eddies solution.

Thanks everyone,

Gary

#197445 - 04/23/05 08:05 PM Re: value of backups
travlin'easy Offline

If anyone has a copy of WSFTP-LE I lost mine when the computer crashed, and for some unexplained reason, I cannot find my disk the program was stored on. Email me at keyboard@bcpl.net if you have a copy.

Thanks,

Gary

#197446 - 04/24/05 11:22 AM Re: value of backups
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
If anyone has a copy of WSFTP-LE...

Did you get it?

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#197447 - 04/24/05 06:13 PM Re: value of backups
travlin'easy Offline

Got it!

Thanks Danny

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online