value of backups

Posted by: travlin'easy

value of backups - 04/21/05 03:27 PM

I'm typing this on my backup computer. The hard drive on my main machine crashed this morning and now I have to but a new hard drive.

The irony of all this is when I called Compaq's service department, I talked with a person in India that I could barely understand. He charged me $40 and didn't have a clue what to do. Now, after a couple hours work, I determined the hard drive crashed. Another tech from India is supposed to call later tonight. Wonder if I'll get my $40 back without calling Visa to contest it?

Just another fun day in Paradise,

Gary
Posted by: MrEd

Re: value of backups - 04/21/05 03:41 PM

MAJOR BUMMER!!

Good luck. Hope you can get this reconciled quickly.
Posted by: cassp

Re: value of backups - 04/21/05 03:51 PM

Gary, that's what you get when your hard drive finds out you're going to "but" another one.

I love typos - they make reading the forum so much fun

Re: value of backups - 04/21/05 04:49 PM

I meant to say BUY. Oh hell, it has been one of those days when Mr. Murphy's law prevailed!

cheers,

Gary
Posted by: Tony Rome

Re: value of backups - 04/21/05 05:34 PM

Hey Gary....I just bought a Hard Drive for my Tyros on e-bay, 40 Gig for $43.00 new.... http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZcfidirect
this seller has all types new with warranty
good luck.....Tony

Re: value of backups - 04/21/05 06:55 PM

Thanks Tony,

I'm gonna' stop at Best Buy on the way home from tomorrow's gig and buy one. Can't afford to be down long enough to wait for shipping. Not much more money there anyway.

Gary
Posted by: trident

Re: value of backups - 04/22/05 04:54 AM

With prices of HDD's going lower and lower, you could have the cheapest HDD you can find, hook it up to a USB device and back up all your data regularly , even doing complete "ghosts" of all the data you have.

That way you would be able to just unhook the HDD from the USB device, and plug it in th PC, and hey! it is back to normal.

Although you can achieve "total" security wit a mirrored RAID configuration, with 2 HDD's, I think it is a bit of an overkill and also sometimes the Power supply dies and collateral damage includes CPU's, RAM, HDD's so a backup disk will probably be fried along with the primary one. Try to keep the eggs in different baskets.

I hope the curent situation does not have a lasting effect in your work

Re: value of backups - 04/22/05 05:44 AM

Nearly al of my most important data is backed up on CDs, therefore, it's just a matter of installing the hard drive, installing the programs and hardware drivers and going back to work. The biggest loss was about 1,200 new photos that were shot during the past two months--they were still on the hard drive when it crashed. Putting them on CDs was this weekend's project. Oh well, now I guess I'll just have to go fishing and shoot new ones--damned lousy job, but somebody has to do it!

Cheers,

Gary
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: value of backups - 04/22/05 09:29 AM

Gary,

Sorry to hear about your CPU problems. Good think your CPU literate otherwise they would take advantage of you.

I recently purchased a USB 2.0 External Maxtor Hard Drive with 300 Gig storage for $200. It actually does automatic backups of my two other hard disks. This is a Godsend on many levels.

If you can come up with some extra $$$, I recommend buying the external as a backup device. It's also cool that you can access it from other computers and even works with some keyboards.

Al
Posted by: lukitoh

Re: value of backups - 04/22/05 09:35 AM

I think I saw one of those stand alone external HD (with like 100 gigs or so) for like $50-$100. For that price there is almost no excuse to lose data !

With free softwares like synback or probably free with the HD, it's pain free. No need for CD's I would think. And it's backed up every night.
Posted by: John_CA

Re: value of backups - 04/22/05 04:23 PM

Gary,

Sorry to hear that. Hate HD's when they do that and it seems that their SMART technology that should warn you before it happens isn't all that either

But on top of that loosing 1200 pictures would make me go sh*t the word "dang" in the yard (in bold)

Feel for ya
John

Re: value of backups - 04/22/05 05:05 PM

Thanks guys and gals,

The new 120 gig Maxror is installing as I type this. picked it up at Best Buy for $99 this afternoon. Next step's installing the software again. Should be able to get in done in a couple days.

Just another fun day in paradise,

Gary

Re: value of backups - 04/22/05 09:18 PM

Back in business again on the primary desktop. Oh well, I've only been at it since 6 p.m. and it's just after midnight. I'm gonna hit the sheets real soon--lond day tomorrow.

Cheers,

Gary
Posted by: eddiefromrotherham

Re: value of backups - 04/23/05 12:24 AM

Gary wrote:"The biggest loss was about 1,200 new photos that were shot during the past two months--they were still on the hard drive when it crashed."
Hi Garry. Not sure what went wrong with the HD which crashed but I lost about 400 photos a few months ago and got them all back using a piece of software called 'File-saver'
It depends of course where your images went to. If they are still on the HD somewhere (and that may be the case!) you will find the aforementioned software of use.
I am just leaving right now for a short break away, so if you wish to have alook at the ware , the details are at the bottom of my index page on www.yamahakeyboards.info
Hope this helps.
cheers
Eddie Johnson

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

Posted by: Sheriff

Re: value of backups - 04/23/05 04:52 AM

Sorry to hear that, Gary!
I had have many HDDs chrashed in action. The most time it was only Windows that crashed and killed the boot section so that the HDD couldn't start anymore.

1. If you have installed your new system on your new HDD then put the old HDD on the primary slave (the new one should be on primary master), boot up your new system and peer at your windows manager if you can see the partitions of your old HDD. In the most cases the old datas can be saved on this way.
2. If this won't help anymore then try the way that Eddie adviced

I've never lost any data since about 2 or 3 years because the most HDDs do nevertheless work after a crash.
I hope you will save your pics at all!

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

Re: value of backups - 04/23/05 05:57 AM

Thanks Eddie and Sheriff,

Sheriff, the drive completely crashed, and I'm not sure if any of the data is recoverable because of the readings. However, I placed the drive on my workbench and hope to try Eddies solution.

Thanks everyone,

Gary

Re: value of backups - 04/23/05 08:05 PM

If anyone has a copy of WSFTP-LE I lost mine when the computer crashed, and for some unexplained reason, I cannot find my disk the program was stored on. Email me at keyboard@bcpl.net if you have a copy.

Thanks,

Gary
Posted by: Sheriff

Re: value of backups - 04/24/05 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
If anyone has a copy of WSFTP-LE...

Did you get it?

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)