SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#197153 - 10/03/06 06:49 AM Multipads
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I uploaded 5 user multipads for the Tyros 2 today. Not quite sure how they'll translate to other boards, but I'm guessing they'll be fine on the T1 and PSR3000. There are 3 acoustic piano sets and 2 guitar sets.

I would greatly appreciate some feedback on these if you can take the time to give them a try.

Here is the link: http://download.yousendit.com/7D609DA31726BD90

Thanks,

AJ

#197154 - 10/03/06 01:48 PM Re: Multipads
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Thanks AJ,
thank you.
just tried them quickly & they also work in my PSR1500.
I'm not a "rock" style user so maybe a couple of the sets may not be of much use to me personally,
but the Piano pads are BRILLIANT.
I muted the piano part on the Love Ballad style, & tried it with the pads. They sounded great.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bluezplayer:
[B]

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 10-03-2006).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#197155 - 10/04/06 01:03 AM Re: Multipads
Bluezplayer Offline

Thanks much Rikki for trying them out. I guess the rock spectrum is fairly well covered already anyway in the presets, but I couldn't resist.

Next up will be more synth oriented stuff, typical riffs, arpeggios, and bass lines, which are ( surprisingly to me ) not covered all that much.

Then again, as Squeak and others had pointed out before, it seems that Yamaha is not really targeting these boards toward the modern genres, but they do provide us a few tools ( like the multipads ) that can be used to help get us there. If I was a creative enough programmer, I could probably come up with some CC only pads that would turn some of the more placid synth patches into soundscapes that rival what the major workstations provide.

Regards,

AJ

#197156 - 10/04/06 05:25 PM Re: Multipads
rikkisbears Offline

Hi AJ,
actually there aren't that many pads in the PSR1500, fortunately one can create their own, so that adds a bit to the variety.
Your Tyros has many more pads than my little psr.
One thing I do find a bit annoying about the system is, it is great being able to play more than 1 pad at a time, but having to press the "stop & pad" button to turn a particular pad off.
I think I got too used to the Technics system, where pressing the next pad button, turned the last one off.
I keep ending up with 2 or 3 piano phrases playing at the same time , not good haa haa.

The systems also a bit more finicky about the timing & when you press the pad button.
Don't know whether it's just the psr1500, but I find if I don't hit a repeating pad phrase at just the right time, it appears to try & play catch up for the first bar , rather than sync to the style immediately
(like the kn did), I sometimes end up with pad playing in 1st bar , then a complete blank bar, and then the pad plays again with the next bar.
I'll possibly just end up using the repeating phrase pads ( like your piano pads)and putting them into an actual style, then I won't have to worry about having 3 going at the same time (haahaa) The pad system is a great way of auditioning them with different styles.

You'd probably have some rather good phrases from your motiff that would make excellent pads for the more modern type of music?

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bluezplayer:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#197157 - 10/06/06 02:21 AM Re: Multipads
Bluezplayer Offline

Hi Rikki,

Yes, there are some very good phrases in the Motif, and I plan on using several of them as the midi data for my Synth Multipads.

I agree that the System for turning on and off the pads isn't the best. While I would not prefer the Technics system if I am understanding it correctly ( sometimes I like more than one phrase at a a time ).

It's usable but not that convenient on the T2 ... rather tough to have to press two buttons simultaneously so I turn one off and keep a second one going while I'm playing in real time.

I seem to recall having timing issues with my PSR2000 similar to what you describe with the 1500, but the T2's pads seem to catch up right at the beginning of the measure I play them in, or perhaps maybe my timing has gotten a little better.

My thanks to you for giving me feedback on this stuff Rikki. Let me also send my sincere apologies that I haven't responded to you ( yet ) on this stuff at your style making group. I've been busier than I expected to be the last few days.

I had hoped that I'd get a little more help here with this stuff, this being a General arranger forum and all, but sadly it was not to be. Kind of ironic when we can have 250 posts of arguing over a keyboard that cannot defend itself. As I no longer feel that I have anything to contribute to this particular group, and I don't see anything related to my own interests, which consist mainly of trying to learn more about what I already have to play on and perhaps make it even better, rather than fretting over what someone else has or what might be coming out next year, Nigel I would ask at this time that you delete my account at your convenience.

AJ

#197158 - 10/06/06 06:23 AM Re: Multipads
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Hey AJ,

Thanks for the T2 pads - they allow more variations on the basic style especially if you mute the normal piano parts.

I like the fingerpick one as well as the piano ones.

Thanks for taking the time to do these and sharing them with us

Kind regards - Keith (KFingers)

#197159 - 10/06/06 06:32 AM Re: Multipads
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Hey AJ - I just read your last post.

Please don't leave - I have always valued your contributions to the discussions here and think that you have a very balanced view.

Like you - I don't care for the "knocking" of one make or model over another and have never contributed to any of thos topics. If you can't say anything good then don't say anything at all.

However, they are easy to spot and ignore along with any other irrelavent posts.

I hope you don't leave - especially now you have whetted my appetite with your multipads but if you do I just want to thank you for some of the info you have provided in the past.

Take care and hope to hear from you again

Keith

#197160 - 10/06/06 03:31 PM Re: Multipads
rikkisbears Offline

Hi AJ,
actually Technics had 2 instrument tracks per pad, & in pads 5 & 6 it had a chord progression track which controlled the style & pad, and gave you a 4,8 etc bar solo. It was pretty amazing.

No doubt I'll get used to the way the Yammie pads work, maybe my timing will improve too, ( quicker on the trigger finger haa haa) once I get used to the layout of the keyboard.

No need to apologize for not responding on the "making styles" group. We actually discussed it on this forum instead.
Appreciate the fact you uploaded your pads for members to use.

I sincerely hope you reconsider leaving synthzone. I for one, would really miss your input. You have been a great help to me over the past few years getting my softsynth/arranger setup worked out.

Maybe your Topic "Multipads" didn't give enough detail about what you were hoping to discuss.
I usually try & cram as much detail into the Topic line as I can. Members are no doubt busy at times & may not have time to read all the posts ( I know I don't), so I usually give the more cryptic topic lines a miss. It wasn't so much the topic
"Multipads", that caught my attention, but the fact that you wrote the post.

Just a thought.

I sincerely hope that the above may be one of the reasons for lack of response to your post, & that the forum hasn't degenerated to the exent that members are only interested in topics that cause squabbles.

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluezplayer:
Hi Rikki,
I agree that the System for turning on and off the pads isn't the best. While I would not prefer the Technics system if I am understanding it correctly ( sometimes I like more than one phrase at a a time ).

It's usable but not that convenient on the T2 ... rather tough to have to press two buttons simultaneously so I turn one off and keep a second one going while I'm playing in real time.

I seem to recall having timing issues with my PSR2000 similar to what you describe with the 1500, but the T2's pads seem to catch up right at the beginning of the measure I play them in, or perhaps maybe my timing has gotten a little better.

My thanks to you for giving me feedback on this stuff Rikki. Let me also send my sincere apologies that I haven't responded to you ( yet ) on this stuff at your style making group. I've been busier than I expected to be the last few days.

I had hoped that I'd get a little more help here with this stuff, this being a General arranger forum and all, but sadly it was not to be. Kind of ironic when we can have 250 posts of arguing over a keyboard that cannot defend itself. As I no longer feel that I have anything to contribute to this particular group, and I don't see anything related to my own interests, which consist mainly of trying to learn more about what I already have to play on and perhaps make it even better, rather than fretting over what someone else has or what might be coming out next year, Nigel I would ask at this time that you delete my account at your convenience.

AJ

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online