SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#98363 - 10/01/06 10:56 AM PA800 OR SD5
jonesyboy Offline

I ama T2 player and really love the board but want a second board for live performances too.. I am looking at PA800 or SD5 from Ketron - any thoughts?
Thanks
Mark

#98364 - 10/01/06 11:13 AM Re: PA800 OR SD5
Dnj Offline

Id wait to see what turns up in reviews once these units are released here.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-01-2006).]

#98365 - 10/01/06 11:53 AM Re: PA800 OR SD5
jonesyboy Offline

Thanks for your reply - I have a problem in that in the latest Keyboard player (Oct'06) it raves about the Roland E80 - I have one at home right now and have to say that I find many of the sounds very poor - Just glad it is only on loan from my dealer!
The reviews are ok bt when you raed one and disagree with it doesn't instill confidence for the next review.
regards
Mark
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Id wait to see what turns up in reviews once these units are released here.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-01-2006).]

#98366 - 10/01/06 01:22 PM Re: PA800 OR SD5
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
They must have forgotten to add the E80 review in my Oct copy of Keyboard mag...I can't find it anywhere!!!!

Maybe you are too use to the Tyros2 sounds to like another brand..

Personally I preferred the G70 sounds ..hands down over the Tyros2....It is just individual preference..

What sounds did you not like on the E80?

I always thought the Yamaha XG sounds were collectively bad, and a few like the saxes were downright terrible..

If you are trying to add complimentary sounds..I believe the sounds on these new boards will be like the previous boards [SD1 and PA1x]..If you like them you will like the new boards..

#98367 - 10/01/06 01:39 PM Re: PA800 OR SD5
jonesyboy Offline

Hi Fran,
I guess this kind of thing is always down to personal opinion and I am sure the E80 to many will be a graet board, the sounds i particularly struggle with are the Brass and the saxaphones which all seem very brash and bold where some elements of subtlety should be there and are sadly lacking. I have never used a Ketron before so am a little nervouis of committing myself - but at least the E80 can go back!
Regards
Mark
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
They must have forgotten to add the E80 review in my Oct copy of Keyboard mag...I can't find it anywhere!!!!

Maybe you are too use to the Tyros2 sounds to like another brand..

Personally I preferred the G70 sounds ..hands down over the Tyros2....It is just individual preference..

What sounds did you not like on the E80?

I always thought the Yamaha XG sounds were collectively bad, and a few like the saxes were downright terrible..

If you are trying to add complimentary sounds..I believe the sounds on these new boards will be like the previous boards [SD1 and PA1x]..If you like them you will like the new boards..

#98368 - 10/01/06 02:02 PM Re: PA800 OR SD5
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Music and sound is a very personal choice, and yours may not be the same as the reviewer in the magazine, so the best thing is to read reviews of the E80 from other reviewers until you find one that has a similar sound palate to yourself.
FRAN
Keyboard Player and Keyboard Magazine are not the same, which is probably why you cannot find the E80 review.
MARK
Make sure you compare sounds to real instruments, as it has been found in many Universities and other establishments, that when people have heard the different keyboard/computer sounds and the real instrument in a blind test, a lot of the listeners have marked the real instrument lower then the artificial ones.
The PA800 has a new Sound Engine that is second only to the Oasis Workstation, and the SD5 also has some improved sounds over the SD1, so the only way to see if you like either is to try them.
BTW. Both the PA800 and SD5 are considerably cheaper then the E80.
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

#98369 - 10/01/06 05:19 PM Re: PA800 OR SD5
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

Fran: "Keyboard player" is the UK-based magazine that does give lots of coverage the arranger keyboards, not the US-based "Keyboard magazine". E80 review is in "October 06' Keyboard player".

[This message has been edited by RobertG (edited 10-01-2006).]

#98370 - 10/01/06 09:58 PM Re: PA800 OR SD5
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi, I am also a performer that use the T2, and a few weeks ago I sold my PA60 to a friend, well, as a former organist, I feel more comfortable with 2 keyboard arrangers, I am also considering the same boards you mention, I did own Ketron X1, and 2 SD1s, I was very happy with the tome generation, the issue I had with them, in been corrected in the SD5 (128 note polyphony vs. 64 in the previous models), the interface is not as friendly as the Yamaha, but I got to know it well in off, that I did consulting for the collages that use a Ketron product in the Phoenix Az area, also I got to know the Korg since I owned one PA60 for almost 3 years until last month, user interface is also different than the Yamaha.
What kind of styles do you use?....I ask you this because the PA800 has over 300 styles from factory, the SD5 a smaller amount, but I will add that both have great quality styles, it boils down to what do you like better not just in styles also in tone generation, one thing more, I feel a little let down by Ketron since they still include the floppy drive instead of the USB ports, for me, I personally think that adds are more favorable toward the Korg PA 800, I repeat, for me.

#98371 - 10/02/06 11:06 AM Re: PA800 OR SD5
jonesyboy Offline

Adding another in to the mix the PA1X - Is the PA 800 goijng to be better than the PA1X or a slightly lower spec?

#98372 - 10/02/06 04:43 PM Re: PA800 OR SD5
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
I still will go for the PA800, newer tone generation and less weight, and save money.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online