full page has been devoted to yamaha's recent
postings on the issue of style copyright. Interesting is
that the headline is "Powerstyles delayed by copyright
battle...". Yamaha are planning to release a new
website for selling their new "powerstyle" style disks,
more on these later. The delay in launching the
website is apparently because of the combat in the
widespread pirating of their styles. The article
reiterates the postings made to the groups here.
The good news is that these new powerstyle disks are
available from the Yamaha club office UK, if anyone is
interested I can pass on their details. There are 5 new
disks in the collection, each disk has 6 styles on it.
The bad news? The price.... £29.99 ($43) for a disk of
6 styles!! That's nearly £5 a style! No wonder
Yamaha were so anxious to combat internet
distribution of their styles!!!!!

#196979 - 04/02/02 04:56 PM Re: Yamaha styles controversy news
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
Isn't that a joke?
Like if anybody would buy them $43. for 6 styles
I think they should make a few billion of
these disk's to have in stock for the
BIG rush to buy, so we don't have to wait for back-order's
Denny

#196980 - 04/02/02 05:33 PM Re: Yamaha styles controversy news
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
I have well over 1000 styles thanks to Fran !

I haven't used them all ofcourse ........dano

#196981 - 04/02/02 06:00 PM Re: Yamaha styles controversy news
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I have all the current ones already and probably so do a lot of other users. I can almost understand Yamaha's point on some of this, as far as you pay for a certain board and you are entitled to the styles on
that board and not the others, if they were reasonable about it. I might be willing to pay a FAIR price for an entire set of styles from a different board, especially if they were properly converted to match my board as well as the internal styles do, but as far as paying 43 dollars for 6 styles.. Nahhhh ... I really don't think so.

Lotsa luck on this one Yamaha. When Yamaha releases a board with new styles if I REALLY wanted more Yamaha styles for my XG works
software, I could simply rent the board for the day at a similar price and get ALL of the styles, even if it meant recording them into midi tracks and later converting them back. I'm not going to bother with that though, and "pirate" Yamahas coveted copywritten treasures, I already have more styles than I need anyway, but the
point is, it's not worth the effort to do it.

I think that it's customers might have been better served if Yamaha had instead diverted all of the resources, time, and energy spent on this issue ( not to mention the money they probably spent on legal fees ) trying to resolve the chip issues and problems in the 2000. This especially after the board was initially advertised as upgradable via flash rom. Has anyone in the US even gotten an upgraded chip ?

Korg AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 04-02-2002).]

#196982 - 04/02/02 06:32 PM Re: Yamaha styles controversy news
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Everybody & Bluezplayer,
PAY FOR STYLES ha! With the way they stuck-us with the 2000 they should be giving styles away as compensation for those "toy keys" that they stuck on what might be a very good KB! I can get past the glichs and a few bugs ,but you have to touch the keys to play I have had my current 2000 for 2wk`s and it`s not that bad except very time I touch those keys it`s like a reminder of whats underneath and how long they are going to "hold-up" with use Even with a two year warranty I for one don`t look forward to having my KB tied up to "fix-a-key" BTW hows your yami do`n Bluezplayer? Take care my friends
jedi

#196983 - 04/02/02 06:54 PM Re: Yamaha styles controversy news
Bluezplayer Offline

Hi jedi,

So far the Motif is everything I had hoped for. I am enjoying it very much. I guess my only regret in the whole deal is that someone other than Yamaha didn't have a board I liked better. I really wanted to like the Fantom as much and spend the money with Roland but it just wouldn't happen for me..

Cheers,

AJ

#196984 - 04/02/02 07:09 PM Re: Yamaha styles controversy news
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi AJ,
Nice to here from you, I`m glad your "Motif-6" is do`n "a-ok" Ya, I got another 2000 , still not sure what to do Hey, here`s one you might get a "kick-out-of," on the 2000 I have now ,I have been able to save and edit a total of 80 settings , not 64 , of course that could make it crash sooner !!
Take care,
jedi

#196985 - 04/02/02 07:25 PM Re: Yamaha styles controversy news
Bluezplayer Offline

I hope it works out for you Jedi and all of the other 2000 owners who are having problems with the board. It is amazing how two or more of the exact same models with the same type chips do completely different things, but after reading all the posts I had about this board, what you are saying about the edits comes as no surprise to me.

I see such potential in the 2000, even after all the issues I had with mine. It's another board I really wanted to like and in many ways I did, but the OS issues were too much for me and one of the things that was most frustrating about it was that the 1000 I got as a temproary loaner worked flawlessly, in stark contrast to the way my 2000 worked. That 1000 worked so well that if it would have had a harmonizer, I'd have sacrificed the remaining feature differences and kept it and used the portion of money that would have been due me to work on another aspect of my setup. I hope Yamaha will take care of these problems soon for you guys and get this thing straightened out. As for me, in the future, I guess if it were right, I could go with another Yamaha arranger if I had to, but not before I somehow was able to demo most or all of the other ones.

Good Luck Jedi and all,

AJ

#196986 - 04/03/02 09:49 AM Re: Yamaha styles controversy news
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
AJ,
I truly believe Yamaha Co. owes you a new
PSR-2000!
Nobby

------------------

#196987 - 04/03/02 12:54 PM Re: Yamaha styles controversy news
Bluezplayer Offline

Now THAT would be a nice gesture Nobby. I doubt that will ever happen though. Heck, I couldn't even get them to respond to emails and telephone calls the majority of the time. I bet if I posted some CVP 209 styles on my website that Yamaha would pay some attention to me in a BIG hurry though. I guess I did Ok in getting a full refund, but that was from the dealer with no help from Yamaha to this point. Right now he's has my old board and he hasn't been taken care of by Yamaha yet either. He has it at the store as a display model as he now waits for Yamaha to give him a chip upgrade or a replacement.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 04-03-2002).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online