SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#196756 - 10/27/06 01:40 PM Re: Best 76 Key
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Don't give me no smiley face when I'm trying to be indignant.
DonM

#196757 - 10/27/06 02:42 PM Re: Best 76 Key
jonesyboy Offline

I am trying to reproduce the brass sounds on such songs as Knock on wood/Midnight hour and so on - I can get close but not quite there - any ideas? Also I am looking at the SD1x - how new is this board and does it compare sounds wise with th G70 - I know the obvious answer is to play one but to find a dealer - not an easy task!!
Thanks to everyone for all the replies/opinions and advice - much appreciated,
Mark

[This message has been edited by jonesyboy (edited 10-27-2006).]

#196758 - 10/27/06 02:51 PM Re: Best 76 Key
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Fran,

When I spoke to the Roland tech support complaining about the OTS button on my G70 forcing single-finger chord recognition on me, the support person said that the G70 is mainly intended for the home users, who would typically use single-finger chords the most. I replied to that that their promo materials tout the board as the high=end professional instrument. The Roland guy did not reply to my statement, but after listening to my arguments about the fact that "memory" is supposed to recall only what it stores, he reluctantly said that he would file a report with Roland Italy, and my concern may or may not be addressed. So, even in Roland't thinking just because something is big and heavy, it does not automatically become a pro-quality instrument.

You said, shipped three times... Out of curiosity, how many times a month do you take your instrument to gigs? A professional instrument should withstand years of rigors of being moved to and from gigs without losing knobs or sliders. My G70 is practically new (I have not gigged with it yet), but I too am not feeling too comfy about the feel of the sliders and knobs.

I believe that the G70 still has the best keyboard bed out there, but the rest of it begs to stay home, rather than be taken to gigs.

Regards

#196759 - 10/27/06 03:15 PM Re: Best 76 Key
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
There is usually a reason why some people have this need to turn every honest inquiry into a "mine is better than yours" crock. Maybe, for these people, a penile implant might help.

chas

#196760 - 10/27/06 04:12 PM Re: Best 76 Key
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
DonM, I was in no way knocking Yamaha any harder than I knock all the others....... I simply commented on build quality. If I pay $4k for an instrument (especially one as studded with buttons as the T2) I want it to last as long as I play it. Hell, I can buy a REAL piano for that much that will last forever.....

As anyone who reads my posts will know, there ARE many things about the T2 I (and most others) DO like. This does not make it perfect, and if you can't take anyone calling a spade a spade, you might not want to get involved in a thread where a member ASKS FOR OPINIONS. Mine is as valid as anyone else's, here.

My G1000, after 9 years of constant gigging, was just sold to a friend in better condition (almost showroom) than the one he has now, which he has had for less time than me. My G70 will be sold in years to come, and I guarantee it will still be in tip top shape. A pro flight case is worth every penny you spend on it...... (and don;t move your keyboard if you are drunk! )

AlexK, you should know better than most that the chord recognition problem has been addressed in the E80, and is on it's way to us (along with many other fixes and enhancements) in a VERY shortly forthcoming new OS. I gig my G70 in and out of the car during the season (Mar-Oct) at least twice a day, many gigs a week. I play on a deck by the Gulf of Mexico 3-4 times a week. My G1000 did this for four years without a hint of corrosion or unreliable buttons and jacks.

Take it from a full-time professional..... build quality is not there just to make you feel like you bought an expensive instrument. It matters.

#196761 - 10/27/06 06:37 PM Re: Best 76 Key
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Diki, if you paid $4,000 for the T2, it was about a fourth too much. Mine was less than $3,000, delivered, with no tax and free financing.
I was responding more to Fran than you. He can take it! Probably should have just been quite, as nothing constructive was to be gained.
Peace,
DonM

#196762 - 10/27/06 11:38 PM Re: Best 76 Key
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by jonesyboy:
I am trying to reproduce the brass sounds on such songs as Knock on wood/Midnight hour and so on - I can get close but not quite there - any ideas? Also I am looking at the SD1x - how new is this board and does it compare sounds wise with th G70 - I know the obvious answer is to play one but to find a dealer - not an easy task!!
Thanks to everyone for all the replies/opinions and advice - much appreciated,
Mark

Hello Mark
Find out what instruments/synths that were used on the songs, and then do a search for a VST instrument that emulates or has sampled the sounds, you will then be able to get a better match to the sound you require.
Please remember that the songs you hear on recordings have been mastered so will not sound exactly the same as the live performance.
Hope this helps

Bill

[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 10-28-2006).]

#196763 - 10/28/06 10:27 AM Re: Best 76 Key
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
DonM....... no problem, just wanted to set the record straight (everybody seems to think that any Yamaha criticism is a put-down, I personally just think there IS room for improvement).

And even a $3k T2 deserves a better build quality that a $1.5k Motif-ES.......

#196764 - 10/28/06 07:03 PM Re: Best 76 Key
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
It must have snowed in the Philly area. Hmmmmmm! I can't quite make out the name, but judging by the signiture I'll bet he plays a G-1000.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#196765 - 10/31/06 11:24 AM Re: Best 76 Key
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
"Probably should have just been quite, as nothing constructive was to be gained.
Peace,
DonM"

Maybe but it sure was fun to read, DonM
Peace,
Denny

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online