SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#196484 - 11/02/04 11:25 AM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Tom, a great link.. It brought back the days when I was a Hammond salesman[mid 60's]..His technic is the style I like ,and beleive it or not, I use to play a little like that ...then...

A lot of the tunes were the same songs I played back in that era..including My Favorite Valentine and There will never be another you....in the natural keys[right feel] Cm and Eb...and Secret Love in F...I picked out my favorite organ on the G1000[perc with leslie set on high]..and had a ball playing along..
The XB1 and KX2 sound good ,but nothing compared to the old guy[B3]..Then he really shined..

If the Hammond was and is so great...why couldn't I sell more in the 60's..I must have gotten all the hard sells...

#196485 - 11/02/04 12:44 PM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Great keyboards, all of them. I have and love my VR760, which uses the VK8 organ sim engine. Check out the November issue of Keyboard Magazine for their latest B3 shoot out. Roland is highly rated.

www.keyboardonline.com

#196486 - 11/02/04 01:13 PM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Not only does every old B-3 (and M-3's, for that matter) have their own qirks (that's personality), but leslie's are the same. You had to "age" one. Sound was a function of the age of the tubes,tightness of the belts, etc. As belts aged and stretched, players had to alter the timing of switch activation.

Dave, good to see someone else appreciates Richard "Groove" Holmes.

Those old guys are something to watch.

Notice how many touring groups and even youngsters on some of the late night shows (Letterman, Jimmy Kimmel, etc.) have a "Mighty B-3" on the bandstand.

Some of these youngsters are great players who know all the notes, but just don't hav that leslie activation timing of the long-time players.

Russ

#196487 - 11/03/04 09:10 AM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
RyanS Offline

Loc: Jackson, MO, USA
That was a great link. I downloaded the 548kbps version. Does anyone know where you can purchase the new leslie 21 model? Or at least know how much they're selling for now?

#196488 - 11/03/04 09:35 AM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by RyanS:
That was a great link. I downloaded the 548kbps version. Does anyone know where you can purchase the new leslie 21 model? Or at least know how much they're selling for now?

Try this link http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=21821&Category=Keyboard_Amplifiers

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#196489 - 11/03/04 09:39 AM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Great keyboards, all of them. I have and love my VR760, which uses the VK8 organ sim engine. Check out the November issue of Keyboard Magazine for their latest B3 shoot out. Roland is highly rated.

www.keyboardonline.com

Cassap, Thanks for the link, but I can't find the article. Where did you see it?

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#196490 - 11/03/04 09:58 AM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
The article is in the November issue. Looks like the online link only goes up thru the Oct. info.

#196491 - 11/03/04 12:21 PM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
jeremy_norbury Offline

Loc: Amsterdam,,The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom NL:
This thread is already more than a week old, but I think that you might find the following interesting:

for those who love the tonewheel sound and are especially interested in the playing technique, check out this demo-video: http://www.ke-musik.dk/ShowArticles.asp?Close=No&ID=1070

This demo is mostly done on the "new" B3 and the XK2 with the virtual tonewheels, but to my ears it all sounds very authentic! This proves also that the playing technique and the proper Leslie amplification make about 75% of the sound. I guess this organ player can even make an organ on a cheap keyboard sound great.

BTW: his name is Leon Kuypers and he just happens to be Dutch

Anyway, I hope the Hammond devotees among you enjoy this video.

And a damned fine organist he is too.

I saw him play a couple of years ago at the Dutch Keyboard and Organ Exhibiiton and I almost decided to give up playing...

It's a shame that it's not that easy to find out where he is playing.

Jerry
Amsterdam

#196492 - 11/03/04 12:52 PM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
Roel Offline

Jerry,

Leon, a very nice guy (in dutch 'gewone vent'), often plays at my dealer near Zwolle :
Oostendorp Wezep. www.oostendorp-muziek.nl (during organ shows) You could call them?

As far as I know Leon teaches electronic organ at the Zwolle Conservatorium.

His music on Hammond.... wow !!

[This message has been edited by Roel (edited 11-03-2004).]

#196493 - 11/03/04 04:06 PM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Uncle Dave will have the real thing on Friday...He wanted a B-3 so bad...he bought one...Now he needs a sucker to go pick it up...Anyone?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online