SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#129621 - 11/03/04 06:57 AM ROLAND EXR3 VS KORG PA50
ALEXXX Offline

Loc: MADRID
Regards from Spain, I am on the verge of buying one of these two keyboards but I do not decide. The difference of price is important. But I do not find a great difference between the sounds of one and others, the piano of the EXR me does not sound badly and that of Korg does not seem to me to be top either. Not if I am mistaken, or slightly deaf. On the other hand USB's option of the EXR attracts me. To extract myself of doubts. Does keyboard exist for this price that sounds well and has arpegiador? I am mas guitarist and need good accompaniments. Can I turn styles of other marks for the EXR? To say to me a little. I love you brothers!!!
Alex

#129622 - 11/03/04 08:21 AM Re: ROLAND EXR3 VS KORG PA50
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
There are very diferent instruments and sizes, it will be more fear to compare the PA50 to the EXR5....even in price should be the EXR7....well, here my own opinions:
1.-Neither keyboard has arpegiator.....they have styles or patterns that are an orchestrated 4-8 bars with drums, bass, piano, etc...depending what style is playing.
2.-For what you say, I understand that you want accompaniments, well there are two ways to achieve this, A).- Using Midi Files (secuences, SMF)....B).- Real time accompaniments...
3.-In both brands you can download and or buy styles/patters ( USB company in France that sells CD with 1000s of styles for any keryboard brand).
I hope it helps.

Manuel

Alexx...yo tengo el PA60 que es identico al PA50, la diferencia es que el PA50 es manufacturado en China, los 2 teclados son muy diferentes, Aqui, en Phoenix Arizona, El PA50 y el EXR7 se venden por mas o menos lo mismo $999.00 dls. Yo te aconsejaria que checaras cuales estilos/patrones ritmicos de fabrica te funcionan mejor a TI....porque a los 2 les puedes poner estilos ya sea bajados del interner o comprados.

------------------
mdorantes

#129623 - 11/04/04 08:00 AM Re: ROLAND EXR3 VS KORG PA50
tracknet Offline

it seems to me pa-50 is far better. It has a lot more functions, its styles are editables, screen is far better, it sounds more rich and profesional.
Roland haven't a good kb in the middle range.

#129624 - 11/04/04 12:36 PM Re: ROLAND EXR3 VS KORG PA50
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by tracknet:
Roland haven't a good kb in the middle range.

Yea, what he said.
They don't even try to compete with Yamaha in that class. I can't comment on Korg though.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 11-04-2004).]

#129625 - 11/04/04 07:36 PM Re: ROLAND EXR3 VS KORG PA50
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
PA 50,period.(even better choice over exr 7)

it has 4 variations(exr has 2)
better sound board/deeper seq
can write user styles(exr3,5,7 can't)
yes D drive(only exr 5 has it not exr 3)
USB in exr 3 doesnt help(you must have a lap/desk top t use it.(even new cheap yams has USB.)
20mb solid state disk(exr has 1.5mb flash ram)
it's(exr's) usb is not USB to device(like 1500 and 3000)where you can use a thumb drive and load styles/songs.

the only pros that exr can offer is better keys(for some)and more well cut(unbulky)shape,V link,and some pop/dance/rock set changes(which is nothing compared to 4 style variations that PA or yam psr 1100,1500 offer).

#129626 - 11/04/04 11:00 PM Re: ROLAND EXR3 VS KORG PA50
ALEXXX Offline

Thank you for your answers does the last question:Mdorantes,Tracknet,Starkeeper,Jamman that helps me to deciding say Jamman that there is algun Yamaha that has better sounds that the EXR in this range of price and another mas I want a good sound of piano which has the best according to you?
Thank you
Alex

#129627 - 11/05/04 11:50 PM Re: ROLAND EXR3 VS KORG PA50
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Quote:
Originally posted by ALEXXX:
Thank you for your answers does the last question:Mdorantes,Tracknet,Starkeeper,Jamman that helps me to deciding say Jamman that there is algun Yamaha that has better sounds that the EXR in this range of price and another mas I want a good sound of piano which has the best according to you?
Thank you
Alex

if you want to know whether exr's piano sound better than PA 50?,the answer is yes it is.

piano sound wise (in arrangers under 1500$)

roland is 8 yam is 7 korg is 5 out of 10.
but you need alot more than a good piano sound in an arranger.
korg PA's "piano & strings"patch is acceptable i the mix.but other sounds wise-korg PA will blow exr away.

don't forget you can always get a used module (yam ex rack,roland jv-1080,2020,akai s2000,emu esi 32)etc for less than 500$ and the sounds that they have/can create can blow your arranger away.

these are some tips for choosing the right arranger.

1.does it sound pro enough(overall sound quality )(major "must" sounds' quality-piano,EP,bell-vibes,sax,bass,strings,brass,ac guitars,drums and saw type synth sounds)(rather than sfx or oh yeah! type of relatively useless samples)
2.can it deliver your realtime arranger demands ?(no load time playing,ability to switch acc to mood of the audience)
3.durability and resale value
4.weight and versatility(can it work as both arranger,sequencer and usefulness in band situation etc).

price wise

less than 500$
go - exr 3(cause psr 550(still have multi pads) and 450(has sweet,cool and live sounds) can't help much)

less than 1000$
exr5 and 7,psr 1500 and pa 50
forget exrs
read this http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/009086.html
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/009096.html
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/009195.html

less than 1500$
roland VA's(now non existant in the market)
yes ladies and gents-psr 3k

I know than PA 50 is quite cheap and exr s are alittle more expensive in Europe compared to US.but they are not in the same league.PA 50 is much higher.(but 3k blows both away in versatility dept)

and to your original question-
to get exr 3 or PA 50- I repeat PA 50.
but if you can spend higher read above links.

#129628 - 11/06/04 12:36 AM Re: ROLAND EXR3 VS KORG PA50
ALEXXX Offline

Thank you for extracting myself of doubts. Now that I am not deaf when listens to the piano of the PA50 I realized that it was not better than that of the EXR.
Thanks again I believe that the EXR3 will buy here this one in 450 € against 900 € of the PA50.
When i is rich and famous i will remember you in the credits of my disc. I love you. Alex

#129629 - 11/06/04 01:02 AM Re: ROLAND EXR3 VS KORG PA50
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Alexxx,
very good appraisal by Jamman.
Apart from the piano sound there is NO reason whatsoever for going for the Roland at the expense of the PA-50.
I have owned both PA-80 and PA-50 and worked and programmmed with them extensively and the PA-50 is 95% identical with the PA-80. (it has no afer touch, and no mike input for example).
But sound and style wise these two machines are identical.
I have said this on many an occasion, money wise you don't get ANYTING better than the PA-50 !!!
good luck anyway.

john

#129630 - 11/06/04 06:07 AM Re: ROLAND EXR3 VS KORG PA50
ALEXXX Offline

I am not rich still, the money when it is not had is important and we speak about the double of price for an average user. I am not professional. It is what decide sound of piano to decide on the best EXR3 and I believe my less complex than that the PA50. Am I wrong,John? Alex
Sorry for my english...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online