SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#196464 - 10/19/04 01:21 PM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Wow .... this is like a peacock festival! Feather's up boyse !

#196465 - 10/19/04 01:23 PM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
Roel Offline

What I heard on the Yamaha's sounds like sinus-sound (WERSI). The 'drawbars' on my SD1 sound terrible!

Realize that real tonewheel Hammond organs sound special because of :

Polyphonic key-click with random volumes,

Monophonic percussion,

Each key has its 'own' harmonic distortion,

Each key has its 'own' hum-noise

The rotary speaker LESLIE effect is hard to simulate and (in my view) no current keyboard comes close!

The Scanner-vibrato is pretty complex because it is a mixture of phase- and frequency-modulation.

Every B3 has a specific sound.... the older the better ?

People who actualy know how a B3 sounds, know that Native Instruments B4 Tonewheel software DOES come very close to the real thing

I hope the new G70 sounds like B4 Tonewheels

#196466 - 10/19/04 02:12 PM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
Impuls Online   content

Loc: Netherlands
Roel,
The Tyros have a lot of Rotor simulations,like i sad and you can make a real rough hammond sound with it,I use it on stage with both bands i play in,and they like the Hamm, sounds a lot.
Like i wrote ,the best hammond in a portable pakkage is the Hammond XK3.

Regards,
Arno

#196467 - 10/19/04 02:17 PM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Roel:
People who actualy know how a B3 sounds...

know that it can sound like a million+ possibilities. They also can be fooled by the right combination of tone and effect. I've heard a chordovox in a leslie that would make Groove Holmes turn his head.

There is no ONE sound that defines a B3 more than the leslie, itself. The key click and percussion etc ..... are all secondary to that doplar effect that whizzes the air around the room.

A B3 is as personal as the player on it, but there are many worthy contenders in the UNDER 410lb catagory that I just love.

#196468 - 10/19/04 02:40 PM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
RyanS Offline

Loc: Jackson, MO, USA
I know this is just opinion but I don't think Roland does such a great job with their combo-organs/organ module...It all sounds too cheesy.

Also I listened to the demo's of the Hammond XK-3 and I wasn't impressed with them...But I think maybe it was just the demo's because so many people have been saying it sounds very close to the real thing. So I think the demo's are some kind of misinterpretation of what it really sounds like. If anyone knows where I can hear some GOOD sound clips of the XK3, please tell me I really want to purchase one soon but I wanna know I'll be happy with it.

Sorry didn't mean to take over this thread. But I'd say for organ sounds, go with Hammond, they seem to do the best job. I think they also have an organ module so you might look into that. NI B4 is awesome too. I use that for some of the recordings I do. I've found though that really to play an organ well, you need something that feels like an organ. Seems to make I difference to me.

#196469 - 10/19/04 03:19 PM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
Vquestor Offline

The Clavia Nord Electro2 or Electro2 Rack is the answer.

[This message has been edited by Vquestor (edited 10-19-2004).]

#196470 - 10/20/04 04:36 AM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:

There is no ONE sound that defines a B3 more than the leslie, itself. The key click and percussion etc ..... are all secondary to that doplar effect that whizzes the air around the room.

Take a listen to Jimmy Smith - his style embodies that Hammond sound and for most of his stuff, he never uses the Leslie!

It's all about the Tonewheels!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#196471 - 10/20/04 04:59 AM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
Roel Offline

Good point kbrkr !! (I agree)

#196472 - 10/20/04 07:39 AM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
Uncle Dave Offline

I love Jimmy Smith, but I prefer the sound of the Leslie to that dry, Hammond sound. Again, it's Jimmy that makes it sing ..... he could shine on a DX7 .... which, BTW makes a darn good tone wheel sound. After all, it's sine wave technology ..... just creatd in a digital world. I've heard DX7s through a Leslie and you'd be blown away. The only tell-tale sign(sine?) is the lack of monophonic percussion. That's a trademark sound for sure.

Say what you want ....... there are MANY, many respectable substitutes that negate lugging around a 410 beast these days. Sure, there is a certain individuality to each old relic, but if you play it right, and you amplify it right ( Like Joey D does) you can wow any organ audience with today's newest technology and no one will be disappointed with the result.

#196473 - 10/20/04 07:52 AM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Ah the mighty B3...still own one...still play one (it stays at a local country club).

It a love-hate relationship...

Russ

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online