SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#196454 - 10/18/04 09:13 AM Hammond b3 or organ sounds
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Does the Yamaha psr3000 have a decent b3 sound? Versus Tyros? If not, what options would you recommend for music that needs a good organ sound in gigs? Hardware or software.

#196455 - 10/18/04 09:27 AM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Tyros have much more rotary efects ,and the sound is MUCH better than the 3000!
I tested it side by side and the Tyros sounds even beter than the Hamm Xk2 and the NI B4 (without a original leslie).Only the Hammond XK3 sounds much better.
Just my opinion.

Regards,
Arno

#196456 - 10/18/04 10:48 AM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I'm a little fussy about B3 sounds on my keyboards (I was spoiled rotten when I owned a Hammond L100 and Leslie 122), and not happy with the organ sounds on the PSR550 (unless I play everything 8va). When I demoed the PSR1500/3000 the organs there seem to be quite acceptable IMO. There is all kinds of controls in the user organ section.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 10-18-2004).]

#196457 - 10/18/04 12:07 PM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
Does the Yamaha psr3000 have a decent b3 sound? Versus Tyros? If not, what options would you recommend for music that needs a good organ sound in gigs? Hardware or software.

Roland VR-760 if you just need órgan's/piano's.

If you need an arranger I would wait on the new Roland as seems to have the same engine and drawbars as the vr 760.

#196458 - 10/19/04 05:07 AM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Hey - Impuls

How do you get the Tyros Organ to sound like a B3? I've played around with the drawbars and settings and it just sounds like the Yamaha Electone Organs I used to sell.

I'd love to gat a Jimmy Smith/Jazz B3 sound with level C3 Chorus vibrato setting (no leslie) or a screaming rock organ but I mainly get cheesy or theatre organ sounds.

It looks like you have managed to create some really great registrations - please consider sharing them with us.

KFingers

#196459 - 10/19/04 08:00 AM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Impuls:
the Tyros sounds even beter than the Hamm Xk2 and the NI B4

?!?!?

That's saying a lot... anyone else agree?

#196460 - 10/19/04 09:16 AM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
larigot Offline

Loc: Portsmouth - UK
The quickest and cheapest way to an almost spot on Hammond sound is almost definately the Native Instruments B4 software package...we can hark on forever about The Tyros this and the Tyros that...the Tyros is a great keyboard with a big price to match, making Hammond sounds is just one of its many aspects so it just gives you the equivilent of just the upper manual on a Hammond to compliment the other sounds whereas the NI B4 is totally dedicated to providing the 2 manuals and a pedal board as per a proper Hammond console which only a seasoned Hammond player would appreciate...if the the occasional Hammond sound is all thats required in your music then most modern keyboards will provide a passable imitation, if you want close to the real thing go for the B4...you can download the demo and read user reports here....
http://www.kvr-vst.com/get.php?mode=show&id=51

Rgds
larigot

#196461 - 10/19/04 10:02 AM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
If you MUST have an authentic sounding Hammond B3, just 'pick up' a re-conditioned unit & try moving it. The next best thing of course is Native Instrument's B4 software, but that means (at least for gigging purposes) bringing along & hooking up a fast laptop as well. The Yamha Tyros' Hammond B3 sound may not sound exactly like the real thing, but its certainly impressive to my ears, especially when you utilize CD-Soft's huge IMPRESSIVE Organ voice collection. Checkout the MP3 samples here:
http://www.cd-soft.de/cms/front_content.php?idcat=45

Scott

#196462 - 10/19/04 10:03 AM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
The simple answer is the Roland Vk-8m Drawbar module:
http://www.rolandus.com/products/details.asp?catid=10&subcatid=42&prodid=VK%2D8M

The Tyros organs do NOT sound like a NI B4 NOR do they sound like the XK2. The VK-8m, on the other hand does and in my opinion playing live it surpasses many sample based and other lower quality Hammond Simulators. I did a study of all available products on the market and the VK8M, although it does not match a real Hammond or Leslie, is the next closest thing.

The VK8m features real drawbars, Tonewheel emulation, Vibrato, leslie, has the D-beam, controller, and is fully tweakable.

Plus it has buttons to trigger presets.

I play live with a Tyros and a Korg Triton Extreme, and for my personal taste, the VK8M blows them both away. I'd rather have an A-100 with a 122, but I'd rather gig with this baby any day.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#196463 - 10/19/04 10:31 AM Re: Hammond b3 or organ sounds
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
It is a matter of taste,But the Roland VK8M and the VR76 do not come even close to a Hammond,They sound great but they sound different.
I using at home the B4 with the Tyros and in my opinion after tweaking the Tyros drawbars (Rotary effect(16 type,s) and the EQ )you get a better result than the B4.
I also have the software from CD-soft and you wont believe youre ears.
On the other hand i played and listend to the New XK3 ,and that sounds like a B3 !
I am thinking to buy one .
The only thing i am missing on the Tyros are the real Drawbar sliders.
Btw on the VK8M you cant connect a footpedal for the Rotary speed,Strange?

Best Regards ,
Arno

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online