SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#196275 - 07/11/05 03:32 PM Re: Need advice from pros who are gigging
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Not really. Have to tell you, I'm surprised to learn all that. I did hear of one entertainer who was booted after spending time with a resident "behind closed doors" - crazy, huh? Worse than that, I was recently hit on by an AD who called me asking "Would you like for us to get to know each other better?" Bummer... not enough practice saying "no" in that kind of situation.

Glenn

#196276 - 07/11/05 05:19 PM Re: Need advice from pros who are gigging
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
My partner Dean was invited to a resident's room once time. I've never let him live it down. Of course he didn't go.
I have not had any propositions from residents, but the ADs--that's a different story.
DonM

#196277 - 07/12/05 05:45 AM Re: Need advice from pros who are gigging
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Stephen,

I listened to the song on your website and it sounds like you have more than enough technical talent with your keyboard. As I see it your biggest performance problem is that you destroyed the meter of the tune by dropping beats and measures. I can't stress how important this is. Fix this problem, work on the vocals and audience interaction and you should be in good shape.

Tom

Tom

#196278 - 07/12/05 05:59 AM Re: Need advice from pros who are gigging
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
your biggest performance problem is that you destroyed the meter of the tune by dropping beats and measures

Tom, yea that tune does need fixing! Thanks for your candid comments they are appreciated, since in all probablity the audience may not say anything as in what Spalding mentioned.

Quote:
The not so good news is possibly that people are being polite by saying nothing if they did not reaaly appreciate your performance.

#196279 - 07/12/05 07:24 AM Re: Need advice from pros who are gigging
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Stephen,

After a few years playing with bands I have now been playing solo for around 30 years and for the first 10 years or so I didn't sing but I used a mike for announcements.

The only work I could get was playing lounges/bars or backing cabaret but in those days there was a fair amount of work around as "DISCO" wasn't as prolific so that was ok.

Then one day one of the vocal acts i was backing asked me why I didn't sing and I told him that I couldn't at which point he started to reel of a list of past and current hits by singers who also couldn't sing but that hadn't stopped them (Lee Marvin/Wandrin' Star - Telly Savalas/If etc)

Although I wasn't convinced I started to slip in the odd song where the vocal range wasn't too great and I couldn't belive the reaction. Not only from the audience but from the management of the establishments I played.

Not long after I was getting offers of work in other residencies and one off engagements such as wedding receptions and social clubs.

I doubt if I would get much work nowadays if I didn't sing so I would say that's your number one priority. Start slowly and build on your success it will do wonders for your confidence when you get positive feedback.
It was a big decision at the time for me but now I think nothing of it. Give it a try.

I also looked at your website and find that you are an accomplished background player but for my gigs I need more up tempo songs with a strong beat than soft tinkly ballads even when playing to Senior Citizens who are not able to dance.

They mostly request 60s songs which is a shame as I love playing big band or funky jazz but they pay the piper.

All the best in getting more gigs - there is some good advice above and I can only endorse wholeheartedly with what the other guys say.

KFingers

#196280 - 07/12/05 08:53 AM Re: Need advice from pros who are gigging
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
I doubt if I would get much work nowadays if I didn't sing so I would say that's your number one priority.Give it a try.

Quote:
They mostly request 60s songs which is a shame as I love playing big band or funky jazz but they pay the piper

Yes, I'm going to give singing a try since that has by many who have posted a reply. I'm meeting with a voice teacher this Wednesday evening.

I like playing big band material as well, but I also enjoy the 60s tunes.

#196281 - 07/12/05 09:14 AM Re: Need advice from pros who are gigging
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I'm a rank amateur here vs most of these guys, but I do play out a bit, mainly for something extra to do. I played in bands many years ago, but I had not been actively playing out for some time up until a few years ago. I always continued to play and occasionally work in the studio, so I am a fairly proficient keyboard player, but I never thought very much of my vocals, so I too started off just playing and singing.

Generally, I got lukewarm receptions except for the occasional musicians in the crowd who would sometimes compliment my playing ability. I'd always make sure I threw in a couple of dazzling solos and chord combos. I didn't have as much interaction skill as I needed for the rest of the crowd, and I rarely sang..

Then I got lucky. I jammed with an older guitarist / vocalist who had been a lifelong entertainer. He had always played in larger bands and played many of the popular venues in the Poconos and Catskills.
He and I never went anywhere with it, as it was mostly for fun. I had told him about my limited solo experiences. Then when we were doing a couple songs, I started singing. He asked me why in the world I wasn't singing at my gigs. I couldn't really answer except that I didn't think I was proficient enough at it. I learned a few other things from this gentleman, and ever since my interaction skills have shown steady improvement.

I get positive feedback and generally good vibes now, and I don't feel the need to include that "blazing" solo, even though it is fun to do anyway. Mostly, have fun, be confident ( not cocky ) and show it. It's infectious. Example... Right in the beginning of "Born In the USA", My music sheet fell down. For a split second, I panicked.. then.. I just kept on going, making up words as I went along.. ala "Weird Al" . I think that was the biggest hit of the night, and more than a few did not believe it wasn't planned. It was the right audience and luckily a good moment for it. I didn't plan that at all, but long before it happened, I did tell myself that this is what I would do if that happened ( I'm fairly decent at making up stuff in the moment, and I've practiced doing it a bit ).

While my vocal range is somewhat limited, I've learned to stay within it's range, and it works for me.

I think it is very good that you are meeting with a vocal teacher. This is someone who can help work on building up your strengths, and who won't be afraid to tell you the truth. Even if you ultimately don't wind up singing, you never know what other helpful suggestions you might get.

I would also suggest reworking that demo. Craft it well, as it could be a positive marketing tool, but it also can hurt you if it isn't received well.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 07-12-2005).]

#196282 - 07/12/05 02:44 PM Re: Need advice from pros who are gigging
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
I'm meeting with a voice teacher this Wednesday evening

Waydago Stephen! We're all supporting you here... and remember, we want a progress report in a few months, or wherever.

Glenn

#196283 - 07/12/05 06:12 PM Re: Need advice from pros who are gigging
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Waydago Stephen! We're all supporting you here... and remember, we want a progress report in a few months, or wherever.

Glenn

Once again thank you everyone for your valuable input and I will keep you posted.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online