SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#196139 - 10/08/05 08:22 PM Adding midrange to Logitech Z2300
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA

I wasn't that impressed when I hooked up my new Logitech Z2300 system to my Yamaha DGX keyboard. It was when I started playing vocals through it that it really knocked my socks off. It does something with vocals that that makes them soar. Singing voices just seem to carry over everything in pristine clarity, regardless of ambient noise, with not a hint of distortion.

I tried it for the first time on a nursing home gig today and the system's performance certainly equalled all of the praise it has received on this board.

THEN, when I got home, I tried swapping in a pair of Minimus speakers for the Logitech satellites. These speakers are a little smaller than a shoebox, with a 4 inch woofer and a 1 inch dome tweeter.

I beleive this combination restored the midrange frequencies that some have said are missing on the logitechs. I do not have test equipment, so I will describe the effect the best I can.

I can hear the lowest frequencies of Garrison Keilor's basso voice much more clearly. The sound of Jimmy Smith's recorded B3 seems thicker. The sound of a jazz drum set snare drum seems fatter, and the 'white noise' of the drummers brushes seem to reach to a lower frequency than with the logitech satellites. The sizzle of the cymbals might be a little bit diminished, but not much. Altogether the new combination sounds more complete.

The Minimusus used to be the flagship of Radio Shack's speaker lineup. They are mounted in cabinets of cast aluminum and are plenty durable enough for gigs. More durable than the Logitechs, I'll wager. Radio Shack does not sell them anymore, but there are comparable models from other makers.

It seems that the satellite outputs on the Logitech are 8 ohm...at least, the volume seems about the same after swapping in the 8-ohm Minimusses.

My next experiment will be to hook up the Logitechs and the Minimusses all at once to see if I get increased volume.

Douglas Wolfe
Sacramento

#196140 - 10/09/05 09:04 AM Re: Adding midrange to Logitech Z2300
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks Douglas,

Good report, and I hope to hear the follow-up report on the combination of speakers soon. How much did the Minumus speakers cost?

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#196141 - 10/09/05 09:30 AM Re: Adding midrange to Logitech Z2300
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA

I think the minimusses were maybe 70US. I got them on sale, if I recall, but it was a long time ago.

Certain Radio Shack products have been guarded secrets among audio engineers over the years. They used to sell SM58's under their own brand for half of what Shure got. The Minimusses were flat enough to use for studio monitors, had terrific freq and power specs and were practically indestructible. The nearest product from other makers cost many time as much.

I use them as monitors in my home studio, in part because they take up a minimum of space.
I have put them back in their old place. I will continue to experiement, but will most likely use the Logitechs as designed. Really, they do a great job. The gigs I do are much more about vocals than they are about keyboard, and the logitechs excel at vocals. If I ever need midrange, I can always patch in one of my my Peavey keyboard amp. These amps have more than enough midrange to solve any intelligibility problem.

Douglas Wolfe
Sacramento

/

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online