SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#195951 - 01/16/04 06:51 AM What songs to learn
zuki Offline

Hi all,
I am trying to get a song list together to play for senior citizens in centers, etc. Can anyone send me ideas on what goes over well, along with the most popular that I can quickly learn. Also, does anyone use midi files on these jobs? If I can get a list emailed, it would really help. As always, thanks for your suggestions.
Zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#195952 - 01/16/04 07:09 AM Re: What songs to learn
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Most songs from the big band erra, plus lots of 50s, 60s and early 70s stuff should work just fine. As for midis, check www.vanbasco.com and you should be able to come up with all you'll need.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#195953 - 01/16/04 07:24 AM Re: What songs to learn
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I play for a lot of older clients (but not at senior centers) and yes, I use midi files extensively. A few suggestions from my songlist:

Moon River, On The Street Where You Live, The More I See You, Unforgettable, The Way You Look Tonight, Fly Me To The Moon, I Can't Give You Anything But Love, Shangri-La, Autumn Leaves, Stardust, The Nearness of You, Days of Wine & Roses, Girl From Ipanema, I've Got You Under My Skin, Moonlight in Vermont, A Nightingale Sang in Berkely Square, Thanks For The Memories, All of Me, Misty, Sentimental Journey, Satin Doll, Bewitched Bothered & Bewildered, I'll Be Seeing You, The Sweetheart Tree, Polka Dots & Moonbeams, They Can't Take That Away From Me, Someone To Watch Over Me, Skylark.

#195954 - 01/16/04 08:36 AM Re: What songs to learn
SBPC Offline

Loc: Goleta, CA, USA
I've been playing retirement homes for about five years and the one thing I've learned is to keep the majority of the music up-beat and happy. They love music with a good solid beat that they can tap their toes to. You can vary the program with a slower number now and then, of course. But I would definitely bias your program in the direction of lively. And of course using tunes that are familiar to them (of their era) is good as well. You'll likely see some of them mouthing the words to the songs they recognize.

I typically may use some Dixieland, swing, Latin, a polka now and then, maybe an upbeat country tune, a boogie, etc. and then intersperse the occasional waltz and ballad. It seems to work OK.
Paul C.

#195955 - 01/16/04 08:41 AM Re: What songs to learn
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Another major request I get from senior groups is " Please don't play all old music". Many of these folks are active, busy people that hear that old stuff too much from the performers that don't have a better repertoire.
Use the old standrads, but don't be afriad to include tasty, classic, upbeat songs from today too. Most 50's rock (Elvis, Chuck Berry etc) goes over great with the senior crowd. They forgot how much they hated it back then, and they can finally enjoy the energy of the beat now !

Keep it lively, and they'll swing at every pitch you throw at 'em.

#195956 - 01/16/04 08:52 AM Re: What songs to learn
Dnj Offline

Great Advice Dave.....
I agree totaly...Pump up the Seniors!!

I just did a 1hr senior center show yesterday afternoon and used some of these tune for this show....

Shanty Town
Come a little bit closer
Quando Quando
Peobody medley
Polka medley
Tarrantella
Chicken Song
Rock around the clock
Twist
YMCA
Your Cheatin heart
Achey Breaky
Let me call You Swethear
Thats Amore`
Apple Bloomom Time
When the Saints Go Marchin In
God Bless America

and a few more.....

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-17-2004).]

#195957 - 01/17/04 04:49 AM Re: What songs to learn
zuki Offline

Thanks gentlemen....

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online