SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#195744 - 10/23/05 09:26 PM Double Your Pleasure - SD1 plus Midjay
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
HankB and I worked a private party together Saturday night. He had originally booked it for himself and a guitar player, but the guitar player was called out of retirement to work for FEMA on the hurricane--anyway he couldn't make it.
We decided to take my PA system (two Barbetta Sona 23Cs and a Behringer mixer), since it was already in my van. I took the Ketron SD1 and the plan was for Hank to use his Midjay midied to the Nord keyboard.
We set up in the backyard of a fancy residence. Valet parking, catered food, even FREE cowboy hats and free cameras on every table. In the back yard, a three-piece Jazz band was playing.
Our plans were altered slightly when the Nord failed to cooperate. First it wouldn't change sounds from piano to organ. Then after resetting it, it wouldn't make any sounds at all. (I hope it just didn't like being played outdoors, or something simple).
None of this affected me, but Hank was limited to using midi files or singing to my playing.
NO PROBLEM! He just called up a midi file {Don't Know Why I Love You But I Do) from the Midjay and we were into the first song. I played along on the SD1, using whatever sounds seemed appropriate, from Growl Sax to OOHs and AAhs. I picked the second song, and played it while Hank sang harmony, at the same time setting up for the next song. We alternated songs for four hours, often starting one as the prior one ended.
FYI, DNJ, you couldn't tell any difference in the sounds of the MJ or SD1.
We started with a few standards such as Moonglow (Hank), Fly Me To The Moon (me) and some 50's R&R and DooWap. Hank did Lost in the 50's with a midi file while I played female voices and sang background using the SD1 harmonizer. Later we picked it up with stuff like Long Train Running. Fantastic stuff, if I do say so myself!
Then after an hour or so, the hostess stopped by and wanted to know if we did any OLD country, such as Patsy Cline and Willie Nelson. That was like asking the Fire Department if they had any water.
We started with Crazy and peeled off 3 or 4 more.
One lady almost passed out listening to Hank sing Unchained Melody. She would have followed him anywhere!
I did a medley of Hank Williams songs including Cheatin Heart, You Win Again, I Can't Help It If I'm Still In Love With You, and Long-gone Lonesome Blues. We had 'em in our pockets! When Hank sang I Just Don't Look Good Naked Anymore, we got a standing O. I promise it was our own arrangement, because I had never played it before. I changed chords when it seemed like I should and Hank altered the melody to fit wherever I went with it.
All in all it was a fun, fantastic night. I had printed out a dozen business cards with both our names on them, and they disappeared before the night was over. I don't know if ANYBODY went to the back yard to hear that old jazz, even though they were the top players in the area.
It was a real pleasure to work with Hank again!
Just wanted to share!
DonM

#195745 - 10/23/05 09:34 PM Re: Double Your Pleasure - SD1 plus Midjay
Dnj Offline

Don sounds like a killer GIG!!!.....great to hear you boyz had a Great time.....thats what its all about...
"FYI, DNJ, you couldn't tell any difference in the sounds of the MJ or SD1"
Good to hear about the SD1/MJ are VERY close in sound quality I'll find out next week or so when my Midjay arrives also.....
Keep up the great DUO act

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-24-2005).]

#195746 - 10/24/05 09:27 AM Re: Double Your Pleasure - SD1 plus Midjay
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Hi Don,

Sounds like great time, wayda go!

Tell me about your Barbetta 23cs. It's been identified on the Barbetta site for some time, but no info. Is it a remake/upgrade of the 2200? How does it compare with the 31 and 32c?

Glenn

#195747 - 10/24/05 12:16 PM Re: Double Your Pleasure - SD1 plus Midjay
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I just knew "I Don't Look Good Naked Anymore" would be a big hit one day!

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#195748 - 10/24/05 12:38 PM Re: Double Your Pleasure - SD1 plus Midjay
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by GlennT:
Hi Don,

Sounds like great time, wayda go!

Tell me about your Barbetta 23cs. It's been identified on the Barbetta site for some time, but no info. Is it a remake/upgrade of the 2200? How does it compare with the 31 and 32c?

Glenn

Sorry Glenn, it's the 31Cs that I have. I made a typo. I've wondered about the 23Cs myself.

Gary, I guess I'll have to start doing "naked" also.

Don

#195749 - 10/24/05 04:34 PM Re: Double Your Pleasure - SD1 plus Midjay
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Don:

Thanks for sharing. It's great to hear a story about somebody "snatching victory from the jaws of defeat."

Wish I could have had a front row seat. You and Hank must feel about ten feet tall.

All the best, RICE

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online