SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#195645 - 03/11/04 08:23 AM Need advice: microphone for a specific application
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
I need a microphone that captures sound with a good accuracy but with a good resistance to "noise" produced by the air motion originated by the sound source. I know that mics are sensitive to air pressure. I also know that I can always use a foam to protect the mic, and carefully choose the sound source position relative to the mic, but this is not enough for my application. I need something that is the least possible afected by blowing to the mic (air motion) but still captures sound accurately. Is there some kind of microphone or special protecting shell that could be able to reduce "blow noise" to a minimum? Thanks in advance, guys, and I'm sorry if this is a little OT.

-- José.

[This message has been edited by Route 66 (edited 03-11-2004).]

#195646 - 03/11/04 02:11 PM Re: Need advice: microphone for a specific application
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The best way to eliminate wind extremes is a "popper stopper". They cost about $40-$50US, or you can make one out of nylon stoclings and a wire coat hanger......Just don't tell Joan Crawford you're using wire hangers!
AKG C1000s is pretty terrific in many situations and has 2 interchangable caps that direct the flow of air into the capsule. It also has a layer of foam in the windscreen, aqnd comes with an EXTERNAL windscreen as well. Small diaphraghm, condenser mic - great utility piece. I have 4 in my studio and I use them for almost any signal !

#195647 - 03/11/04 03:10 PM Re: Need advice: microphone for a specific application
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Jose. I own & recommend the Popper Stopper when recording vocals into my AKG C3000 condenser mic. Very effective:
http://www.lashen.com/vendors/MAP/Studio_Products/popperstopper.asp http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PS6/

Here's a condenser mic with a built in popper stopper. This is especially suitable for recording wind instruments: http://www.zzounds.com/item--SHUKSM137SL

Scott

#195648 - 03/11/04 03:36 PM Re: Need advice: microphone for a specific application
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Gotta' admit Dave, it does look like a nylon stocking stretched over a coat hanger.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#195649 - 03/11/04 09:04 PM Re: Need advice: microphone for a specific application
Uncle Dave Offline

Before I was rich and famous (hee hee)... that's exactly what I did ! Worked like a charm, too !

#195650 - 03/12/04 01:28 AM Re: Need advice: microphone for a specific application
Carrie-uk Offline

Loc: England
Yep, same here. Popper stopper works great with my Rode NT-1!

Carrie

#195651 - 03/12/04 04:43 AM Re: Need advice: microphone for a specific application
Uncle Dave Offline

"Pooper Scoopers" ....... can't live without 'em !

#195652 - 03/12/04 07:19 AM Re: Need advice: microphone for a specific application
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Dave, Scott,

Thanks a lot for the info and advice. I didn't know of such a device until now . The way it works makes perfectly sense, and I think I'll go for one of these things before considering a new (expensive) mic with a pop filter included. Just found a brand that seems to have a very good reputation manufacturing pop filters: http://www.stedmancorp.com/ . Thanks again, guys - I'll tell you, one day, what I want it for (not for vocals)

-- José.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online