SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#195584 - 11/04/10 10:03 PM Re: Even You Can Do it Also....creating a Song!
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
"Many of the policies that Obama has endorsed and pushed ..I believe the majority of folks do not want..People I have talked to..believe this administration is taking our country into disaster..."

You must be talking about the previous administration.

"I believe that the election results, are saying something to the political parties...we the people..means that they work for us..People should have the right to speak out and voice their opinions..just as they did in previous administrations.."

Wasn't it Bush who took away contitutional protections?

Republicans either have short memories or suffer from false memory syndrome.

Didn't stop them from gorging themselves on "freedom" fries. Quelle horreur!

Taike

(I'm pretty sure what's coming next.)

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#195585 - 11/04/10 11:41 PM Re: Even You Can Do it Also....creating a Song!
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
this was such a promising thread....it looked like we could share tips on how to actually use our arranger keyboards . This arranger forum needs to change its name...

#195586 - 11/05/10 05:54 AM Re: Even You Can Do it Also....creating a Song!
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Spaulding,
OK, lets do that....

One of the things I want to learn how to do is create either a group of styles (that I can sequence through as needd) ...or a song sequence to be able to play along with a complex piece...something like theme from Jurassic Park etc.

There is a lot of talent here...so teach us how to do this.

Thanks,
Lee S.

#195587 - 11/05/10 06:06 AM Re: Even You Can Do it Also....creating a Song!
Dnj Offline

Lee are you talking about creating styles that have completely 4 DIFFERENT VARIATIONS within 1 style so you can run thru them let's say with a pedal to change them as you play the piece of music?....this certainly can be done you can even use the registrations to link as many 4 variation setups you create within each style using the style creator also. The process will depend on your particular keyboard.

#195588 - 11/05/10 08:29 AM Re: Even You Can Do it Also....creating a Song!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well thank goodness this thread is back on track. Nigel added The Bar Forum for OT discussions, so we should respect the guy who created, pays for and maintains the Synth Zone and keep topics on track.

Lee, your idea of having a group of styles dedicated to a particularly complex piece of music is something that I did back in 2000 when I was hired by Baldwin corporate as a digital piano product support rep. The day I started I was informed that in two days there would be a company-wide meeting and that the product support guys (I was one of three) were to perform at the meeting to introduce the new models. I decided to play Birdland by Weather Report. Nice idea except besides the fact that I hadn't spent any time with the Pianovelle PS2600, I couldn't find any style that was to my liking for this tune. My thought was to sequence the entire thing other than the parts I would play live, but the downside of that is having to stick to the structure of the song; I wanted to have the option to stretch out on the solo section. So I got the brilliant idea to create a style that had all of the various sections of the song recorded in the different variations of the style. The PS2600 has four variations, but I needed more sections than that. So my solution was to use the styles ability to change patterns based on the type of chord being played, Maj, Min, 7th, etc. so that each variation had totally different patterns based on the chord type I played. The result was a style that had far more than four variations. I think I ended up with 12 or so completely different patterns for that song that were called up by choosing variations and by playing either Maj, Min of 7th chords. The patterns that I recorded had chord changes built-in to some of them and I had the split point set for the very bottom octave of the keyboard (88 note) which allowed me to play across the entire key range (minus the lowest octave) and not have to worry about loosing my left hand to trigger chord changes. It worked like a charm and the song went off without a hitch. Mind you, up until that point I had never created my own style on any instrument. I have been sequencing for years starting on a Commodore 64 with Dr. T's software so I was very aware of the recording process, but certainly not with creating styles in an arranger keyboard and I accomplished what I described above in a day and a half. Don't misunderstand, I am not tauting myself as some kind of genius. Just pointing out the fact that with an open your mind, spending time reading the manual, and using the capabilities the manufacturer was kind enough to dream up and include in the instrument, great things can be done.

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
The Modulators

#195589 - 11/05/10 09:09 AM Re: Even You Can Do it Also....creating a Song!
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
now Dave thats what i am talking about and the kind of tutorial that people would pay money for.

Would you provide a demonstration of style programming illustrating this ?

This could be a fantastic thread if we could just let the thing breathe a bit bfore getting sily .

Seriously Dave , thnanks for the demo and please dont stop now.

#195590 - 11/05/10 10:08 AM Re: Even You Can Do it Also....creating a Song!
leeboy Offline

Donny, David,
Thanks...
I understand the concept...and I think the process will be different in the Yamaha vs Korg. But, maybe not so much?

Not to bore you...but this is kind of what I am talking about...Could just use split or a second kbd on my arranger..just watch the progression of the piece and all the accompanyment.

Notice the registrations changes...etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaMw63ueoVw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbUIK33Hjbo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DshfffItK0k&feature=related

How is it best to do this kind of thing on an arranger as we know it?
I got to believe it is possible if this 2004 technology can do it.
As a side bar...don't these things sound great!

Obviously I want to start out with a simpler piece then progess.

Lee S.

#195591 - 11/05/10 01:20 PM Re: Even You Can Do it Also....creating a Song!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Lee,

The way these performances were accomplished is by sequencing the piece in its entirety. The sequence is calling up keyboard set-ups and of course playing the parts like drums that are not being played live. You can see the thumb button triggers under the upper manual being selected automatically throughout the song which is how the sounds on both manuals are magically changing without the player touching anything but the keys. You could pull off something similar by doing a lot of work in style record mode, but for this type of performance, using the traditional sequencer method would be far easier.

On the Generalmusic instruments that I am very familiar with as well as the Korg arrangers that I am becoming very familiar with, you can insert events throughout the sequence that will call up different keyboard set-ups (8 Song Presets on the GEM / 4 STS Presets on the Korg). The GEM Song Presets can each store sound selection, key range (for keyboard splits), transpose, volume, effects routings, pedal and wheel settings and aftertouch for all 32 tracks of the sequencer of which any number of tracks can be either playing back a recorded track or set to play live. On the Korg, the STS's store similar parameters for up to 4 live tracks that are available on top of the 16 sequencer tracks. I am sure Yamaha and Roland arrangers have a similar ability.

And yes, these songs and players are very good. Thanks for the links.

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 11-05-2010).]

#195592 - 11/05/10 03:12 PM Re: Even You Can Do it Also....creating a Song!
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by WDMcM:

. Don't misunderstand, I am not tauting myself as some kind of genius. Just pointing out the fact that with an open your mind, spending time reading the manual, and using the capabilities the manufacturer was kind enough to dream up and include in the instrument, great things can be done.

Dave some helpful stuff you've posted. There are no genius that I know of here, but your work and playing is excellent. Thanks for sharing and don't be shy about posting more videos. We all can learn something from that type of post.

#195593 - 11/05/10 03:33 PM Re: Even You Can Do it Also....creating a Song!
leeboy Offline

David,
OK...As I thought...on the Yamaha the registration changes must be able to be set/changed via the sequencer (midi type 0 file).
On the Korg we would have to change STS, but there is only 4 per song?? Maybe that's enough. It would also be nice to use song position pointer so we could go back to a certain section...will have to look into that...not sure it's suppoted on current instrument.

The Stagea Organ in my posts actually supports 16 registrations at any one time, quite nice.

What I would like is for someone here at SZ to do something like one of these songs (or similar). The brand of arranger doesn't matter. It's the technique we are after.

Lee S.

[This message has been edited by leeboy (edited 11-05-2010).]

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online