SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#195564 - 11/04/10 07:54 AM Re: Even You Can Do it Also....creating a Song!
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
That was awesome, Dave!

Those weighted keys didn't slow you down one bit, did they?

-mike

#195565 - 11/04/10 07:58 AM Re: Even You Can Do it Also....creating a Song!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Taike, Lee and Mike,

As soon as I get the time (maybe over the weekend) I will record a tune with more than 3 tracks, and try to get a good screen shot so the entire process is visible. On the separate track video from this morning, the only thing I did prior to actually recording was to pre-select the bass, piano and drum sounds that I wanted to use and set the tempo which took all of about 6 seconds. From there it was press Record and go, just like you see in the video. It really couldn't be much easier.

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 11-04-2010).]

#195566 - 11/04/10 08:06 AM Re: Even You Can Do it Also....creating a Song!
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
You're welcome, Dave. I'm more interested in hearing (seeing) you play on your XK3, though.

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#195567 - 11/04/10 10:36 AM Re: Even You Can Do it Also....creating a Song!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Dave dont know what the heck this guy on the video is doing...but I've sequenced songs more then I like to remember thru the years using Synths & Arrangers alike.....I am not a teacher & never had patience for it....but I will tell you this it requires procedures & time, effort, and knowledge playing all the parts/efx correctly to achieve a successful project. My point was to bring to light that we all have the tools within our arrangers to do multitrack recordings & to create our own styles also so why not take advantaged..you just have top indulge yourself, dig into the OS and have fun creating..

I agree that the fellow did a nice job on the video. Nothing really all that amazing technically with the help of a computer these days, but he is certainly a good player and arranger.

And we are in agreement that many arranger/workstation owners barely touch the surface of the capabilities of their instruments. If more time was spent learning how to use the workstation functions of the higher-end arranger keyboards as opposed to trying to convert and horde every new style from every new arranger model that comes along, we might see non-arranger owners as well as the manufacturers look upon arranger owners a bit more seriously. You might see more musicians realize the potential of the arranger/workstation type instrument, which would lead to more sales and eventually lower prices.

ADDED: I don't mean to offend anyone here with what I wrote above. It's just an observation by someone who has been on the inside so to speak of various manufacturers and also on the sales side of things for many years. I have said for quite some time that several of the high-end arranger keyboards (I may have coined the phrase arranger/workstation years ago) can hold thier own against those instruments commonly referred to as pro workstations. Unfortunately the majority of arranger keyboard owners, at least here in the U.S. which can be a big market, tend to use these instruments as they were originally intended, a replacement for the home organ market on the upper end and a child's toy on the lower end. Obviously arranger keyboard versatility has grown over the years, but if non-arranger owners don't start seeing the light as to the validity of an arranger/workstation type instrument, I fear that eventually they will drop off the radar to the point that production will cease altogether.

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
The Modulators

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 11-04-2010).]

#195568 - 11/04/10 02:23 PM Re: Even You Can Do it Also....creating a Song!
Dnj Offline

Dave ..
Thank you for the nice demos well done...I was going to try to do a few demos myself as you did gotta figure out the camera angle thing here ..but maybe in the future whan I get time between gigs.....but then again after reading dickis post I said to myself ...what for?

I also agree in many of the things you said in you post also...you one of the good guys Dave...would love to meet you sometime also..thanx again.

ADDED: "simple as that" is ok for scratch pad work...but when you want to do some serious multitrack creating it takes time, & lots of thought to make it right. Any the point of this whole thing it to make aware to players that the tools are in the unit and just need to be utilized.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-04-2010).]

#195569 - 11/04/10 02:46 PM Re: Even You Can Do it Also....creating a Song!
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
I guess by the non response no one even interested to go thru the trouble of making their own songs.......

Would this include you?

----------------------------------

Thanks, Dave. Yes, it really is as simple as that......but that assumes that you can play. The old saying is still true....'those that can, do; those that can't just sit around talking smack'.

Side note: Have you ever tried the Nord C1? If so, as a bona fide' organist, what do you think of it (sound wise, not the absence of drawbars, which I also think is a negative). BTW, I'm seriously looking at the Roland VR-700. I think the organ is the weak link, but it's so damned convenient as a gigging board.

chas

#195570 - 11/04/10 03:17 PM Re: Even You Can Do it Also....creating a Song!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Would this include you?

nah...I'm Still celebrating ELECTION Day results YIPPPPPPEEEE!

#195571 - 11/04/10 03:29 PM Re: Even You Can Do it Also....creating a Song!
cgiles Offline

Quote:
nah...I'm Still celebrating ELECTION Day results YIPPPPPPEEEE!

I wouldn't celebrate too much; one of your tea party candidates is proposing making ENGLISH the official language.

chas

#195572 - 11/04/10 03:55 PM Re: Even You Can Do it Also....creating a Song!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
I wouldn't celebrate too much; one of your tea party candidates is proposing making ENGLISH the official language.

chas

In any language what we now had before Tuesday elections was the worst menagerie in history. Doesn't seem weird that WE want is the same thing that Billionares want? think about it...Hmmm? I hope in 2 years the rest gets flushed down the bowl for good.
Oh geeeeze I'm sorry,.....there I go talking politics instead of arranger keyboards.. my bad!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-04-2010).]

#195573 - 11/04/10 04:23 PM Re: Even You Can Do it Also....creating a Song!
cgiles Offline

Quote:
.....there I go talking politics instead of arranger keyboards.. my bad!

Yep, it's true. You ARE the one who introduced politics into this thread. Guess no one noticed since no one called for it to be moved to the bar.

BTW, why DIDN'T you put up a video demonstration? Dave proved that it only takes a few minutes. You're always berating others and baiting them to 'put up or shut up'. Guess it doesn't apply to you.

Oh, and FWIW, congrats to those Republicans who will be entering office with the object of helping the people and trying to solve some of the country's economic woes. For those that come in with no motive other than to be obstructionist, well, history shows that their tenure will be short-lived.

What happened to your ebay heroine? Looks like 'money can't buy me love'. Wow, 160 million of her own money? That's a lot of arranger keyboards.

chas

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online