SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#195232 - 01/14/03 10:10 PM Palm job
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
On the level folks .....
With my new living conditions came a lot of travel, so I broke down and bought a Palm Pilot. Never knew much about them, but I got a sale price, PLUS a 10% discount, PLUS a $50 rebate ... so I jumped on it. You might say I "palmed" some extra cash along the way, eh?

Anyone have any experience with these babys? Mine's a Palm M130. Color screen, exp memory, able to load ext program software. Seems like a nice unit, if I can get used to reading the tiny print.

I found that driving so much without my datebook at hand was a mistake, so I broke down. (NOT the car !)and bought a PDA. It has a USB charging cradle to up/download to a pc ...... I'm optimistic. Any views or tips from the Palm Pros out there ?

#195233 - 01/15/03 02:38 AM Re: Palm job
trtjazz Offline

Dave,
I don't have a palm, but a similar unit from Sharp. They are a very valuable tool I think, if you get in the habit of using them. If there is a drawback, it is that putting entries in them they can be a bit cumbersome because they are so small. You can get small keyboards to do data entry though, or just put quick notes and when you get to your pc do more thorough notes and transfer to palm.

They are great for things like shopping lists...I have mine divded up with places I may go, like the music,hardware, or whatever stores, so when I get to one of them, I can look and see what else I needed from there. It has also been very valuable when I am going around comparison shopping, to put models and prices down, so I can refer to it.
Terry

------------------

http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#195234 - 01/15/03 06:04 AM Re: Palm job
Uncle Dave Offline

I've always had paper calendars, so the thought of a digital meltdown scares me to death. I have software that lets me backup to the pc when it's in the cradle, so I guess I'll have SOME piece of mind .... still, I'm a little nervous about trusting my schedule to a battery driven unit.
I guess I'll juts print out the schedule once a week and keep it home for "safety sake". Thanx for the input,Terry.
I'm off for cape may ... the Palm just beeped to tell me to get ready ! Call me Hi Tech Uncle.

#195235 - 01/15/03 06:05 AM Re: Palm job
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I'm on the go a lot so I have a Samsung i300 which is a combination color Palm Pilot and cellphone. I really could do all of my business with this one device. The cell number is the one that is on my business cards so this is how I handle my bookings. I can also browse the web and do email with it. It's on the Sprint PCS service.

Even though I'm fairly fluid with the Graffiti writing system, I don't use it except when I have to. I prefer to do everything on my computer and then download it to the Palm.

Some applications I use:

AvantGo - a free service that automatically downloads highlights from my local and area newspapers as well as WSJ, CNN, USAToday, PC World, Space.com, etc. Very handy. Can be updated using the cell phone but easiest to update from a web-connected desktop.

Documents To Go - converts MS Word and Excel docs for viewing and editing on the Palm.

Pocket Quicken - a pocket checkbook

2Sky - current skymap (I'm an astronomy buff)

Games: Acid Solitare, BeJeweled, Monopoly, Scrabble, Mars Needs Cows, Mahjongg (great for waiting in the doctor's office)

Some mobile-phone/Palm apps I use:

Fedex/UPS/USPS trackers - tracks packages.

eBay - check on any item/track auctions

Booking Zone- lets you book any kind of service, from music to plumbers.

Palm VNC - PC Anywhere clone for remote control of computer

Brand Finder - let's you locate anything by brand in any city, like "Taco Bell".

555-1212 - phone directory for any city

One project I haven't found the ideal solution for yet is that it is possible to use my i300 to take credit cards for selling CD's at my gigs. Several companies offer this service but they all want fees that are not quite viable yet. Still keeping my options open here.

#195236 - 01/15/03 06:09 AM Re: Palm job
Uncle Dave Offline

Wow .... thanx. You REALLY get alot of use out of that thing! I'll be thrilled if it just stays a great date book !

#195237 - 01/15/03 08:20 AM Re: Palm job
Dnj Offline

Pro do you have a website with some of the CD songs we can hear?

#195238 - 01/15/03 05:14 PM Re: Palm job
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
I have been using electronic calender books for years now. Currently I am using a Sony Clie, and I use it everyday.
One of my favorite apps is Quicken for Palm, it keeps track of all my accounts.

Good luck and welcome in the digi-world Uncle Dave.

#195239 - 01/15/03 05:32 PM Re: Palm job
rhumba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA
I have been using the Franklin planner for the last eight, nine years. In between, I did switch to the various Palm models and now back to the good old paper planner again. I still keep my Palm pilot to store all kinds of info and also as a fancy address book.

..rb

#195240 - 01/15/03 07:24 PM Re: Palm job
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
HI,
I have a Compaq Ipaq. I justified the expense by telling myself that it would make my life much easier...which it did for a week.
Since then I have used it for listening to MP3's in bed or reading E-books (also in bed). The only other practical use it has ever had was to record my partner snoring which is the whole reason I read e-books in bed....I can't sleep because of the noise.

Tony W

#195241 - 01/15/03 07:50 PM Re: Palm job
Dnj Offline

Tony....

http://www.snoring-remedy.co.za/

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-15-2003).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online