SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#194833 - 11/18/02 06:50 AM More stuff from Genesys....
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hello all,

Ziggy sent me some more stuff to post.

http://genny.lib.umn.edu/moonriver.mp3

http://genny.lib.umn.edu/guagleone.mp3

http://genny.lib.umn.edu/onenotesamba.mp3

[This message has been edited by msutliff (edited 11-18-2002).]

#194834 - 11/18/02 11:23 PM Re: More stuff from Genesys....
ziggy Offline

Loc: Malta
What a DISAPOINTMENT not even one comment on the Genesys boy oh boy, guess time to move on from this forum, the least you could have done is tell the bad things about what you heard. Sorry but no wonder that nobody who owns a Gem will be interested in sharing with you anything about this keyboard.
So I guess it's time that me too move on to another place to at least find someone who can critisize this keyboar.

#194835 - 11/19/02 12:42 AM Re: More stuff from Genesys....
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Ziggy, thanks for sharing your lastest song rendition on the Genesys. Very 'competent' playing on your part.

I sense a similar feeling in both the sounds & styles of the Genesys to the Ketron boards. Perhaps a very distinctive Italian sensibility vs the Japanese arranger sound (Yamaha, Technics). The rhythm (drums) & bass have a very dynamic in your face presence that I notice on Ketron boards as well. I do sense though, that the styles a bit stiff for my taste. Also, I was surprisely disappointed with the unimpressive Genesys piano on the Moon River test. I know that Genesys is famous for it's acoustic piano sound from the ProMega keyboard, so I had expected the Genesys piano to sound better. Exactly WHICH Genesys piano sample did you use for that test? Still, there is something 'in your face' about the Genesys styles and sounds that jump out at you and grab your attention so I can see the appeal of the Genesys.

Thanks,

Scott

#194836 - 11/19/02 01:52 AM Re: More stuff from Genesys....
ziggy Offline

Thanks Scottie. just to clear things, what I have sent are 100% MIDI and not Styles. I sent different types of songs so as to hear from you all your opinion about the Sounds and not the randision. I have use different Reverbs and Delays but unfortunatley I got no comments what so ever. About the piano I have to admit that I am not so pleased about it especially how it ended up in the recording I am going to play something myself to see if it sounds like it should. Compared with what I heard by the Tyros it sounded very very dull so I have to work on it to see if I can make it sound better. That was the REAL GRAND PIANO. But there is a lot of instruments and effect and that's what I wanted to hear from all of you, is the realisim of all the other sounds and how you like them or not. Come on guys I had to carry my keyboard upstairs to record all the stuff, so a little bit of effort for your side to download and pass your opinion I think would be fair enough.
Wait to hear more comments on the VOICES and not on the way it is played.

Thx
Tony.

#194837 - 11/19/02 02:18 AM Re: More stuff from Genesys....
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Tony,
I think that there is way too much reverb in many songs. I did like Sleepwalk, but have a feeling that they somehow "sampled" the Rhodes intro from the Larry Carlton rendition. The Rhodes was, however, very good.
I hate to repeat myself, but I still do think that the sound is not as clean as other keyboards, like the Yamahas (Tyros or 9000) or the Rolands (VA7 or 76). So I would say that the Genesys is maybe good for gigging, but not so good for a home studio, sound-wise.
I did like the Bossa Nova style in One Note Samba, but I think that the drum fills in Sleepwalk are too heavy and inappropriate.
Well, you asked for an opinion, you got it...

#194838 - 11/19/02 03:22 AM Re: More stuff from Genesys....
ziggy Offline

Sorry Dreamer, my fault there I have recorded with the same ammount of reverb I use use when I am performing live, I should have decreased the amount by at leaset 20%.
I have to be more careful when it comes to recording, I haven't done any recording for a long time, so I guess I need to learn more when it comes to recording.
But Live that ammount of reverb sounds very good.

#194839 - 11/19/02 03:27 AM Re: More stuff from Genesys....
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ziggy:
What a DISAPOINTMENT not even one comment on the Genesys boy oh boy, guess time to move on from this forum, the least you could have done is tell the bad things about what you heard. Sorry but no wonder that nobody who owns a Gem will be interested in sharing with you anything about this keyboard.
So I guess it's time that me too move on to another place to at least find someone who can critisize this keyboar.

Ziggy,
I know what you mean.......I posted that my 61st cd was done and I don't recall seeing your comments about it. You see, if you want others to listen to your work, it would be courteous to do the same for their work.
jam on,
Terry

#194840 - 11/19/02 03:36 AM Re: More stuff from Genesys....
ziggy Offline

terry sorry I was going to have a listen to it later on, not because you pointed it out but I like to listen to recordings when I am free in the afternoon so I will listen to it later on in the day and pass my comments ok.

Tony

#194841 - 11/19/02 03:54 AM Re: More stuff from Genesys....
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ziggy:
terry sorry I was going to have a listen to it later on, not because you pointed it out but I like to listen to recordings when I am free in the afternoon so I will listen to it later on in the day and pass my comments ok.

Tony

Ziggy,
Fair enough.
jam on,
Terry

#194842 - 11/19/02 05:36 AM Re: More stuff from Genesys....
DannyUK Offline

Ziggy, for what its worth, i happen to think that both GEM and Ketron make the best sounding instruments. I have recently swapped my PA60 back for the WK6 that my father uses because i found the PA60 compared to the GEM and even the Ketron sounds "electronic" compared to what i think is more natural sounding instruments within GEM and Ketron. I had fun with the PA60 and it has some of the best arranged styles however i think compared to GEM or Ketron it does sound too unatural.

I am hoping to get a Genesys one day, not sure how as im not working at the moment, but if i could somehow trade my X1HD for it somewhere in the UK i would be really happy! I think i will stick with GEM from now on...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online