SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#194531 - 02/04/05 02:59 PM PSR 3000
grandpa tom Offline

Loc: Prescott, WI, USA
Hello,
I'm brand new to your group and your advice is awesome. I am very seriously considering picking up 3K in a a couple of days. But in trying to make the proper decision, I have also considered a Tyro. Would most of you agree that a 3K will do 80% of what a Tyros can for much less than half the price of a Tyros? In addition, I have been playing a 10 Yr. old Roland Arranger KR-650 with 76 keys. Do you feel the adaptation to 61 keys would be difficult. I did play organ at one time with no problem.

Any advice that you good people give me will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much and I to be posting more in the future.

Sincerely,
Grandpa Tom

#194532 - 02/04/05 03:16 PM Re: PSR 3000
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
If I were a grandpa, I would choose Tyros. If I were younger and needed to save $$ and since I have much time, then I would choose PSR3k. For me, life is too precious to settle for less if I have the money.

Have you played both boards ? The keyfeel in Tyros is better than 3k IMO which is its main advantage.

The HD and the other stuff is probably not a big consideration unless you are a real pro requiring many storage space for your gigs. The vocal harmony is the one I am not so sure. Are they the same quality ??

#194533 - 02/04/05 03:48 PM Re: PSR 3000
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Tyros is well worth the difference, if money isn't that big a problem.
DonM

#194534 - 02/04/05 03:58 PM Re: PSR 3000
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Welcome aboard Grandpa Tom.
This is a great place to get information. And when you want opinions you will get them to....many of which will be conflicting.

On the subject of storage in the Tyros vs. the PSR 3000: It's a mute point. A hard drive in the Tyros will hold gobs of data. While the 3000 cannot be equipped with a hard drive, it has the capabilities of Smart Card and USB technology which enables and infinite amount of storage.

As to key feel: I tried both, side by side and found I preferred the 3000's feel. At least on the one I played. In all fairness, that may be because I have been playing a PSR 2000 for several years with a similar feel.

As for Vocal Harmony: I didn't get to try it on either board before I purchased the 3000. All I can tell you is the VH on the 3000 is at least as good as the 2000 and some say, much better.

Going from 76 to 61 keys will likely cause you to re-adapt your playing a bit. But, both the Ty and 3K have octave shifts for either (or both) of the two voices in the right hand, and whatever you assign to the left hand, if you so desire.

Would I be happier with a Tyros? Maybe. It's hard to imagine though because I am extremely happy with the 3000.
Eddie

#194535 - 02/04/05 04:28 PM Re: PSR 3000
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Both keyboards have more features than anyone can imagine. As for the keyfeel, I can't tell the difference between the two, but I'm old so it doesn't matter to me one way or another.

The Tyros has a few features that the 3000 does not, however, it does not have onboard speakers, which I feel is important for monitoring purposes.

As for the transition from 76 to 61 keys, I never owned a 76 key arranger, but I have played both and found no difference in addapting to either.

I like the 3000 so much that I own two of them. I really love everything it will do, and nearly everyone that on this and other forums that has purchased one feels the same way.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#194536 - 02/05/05 01:03 AM Re: PSR 3000
jnuy1010 Offline

Loc: Selangor, Malaysia
If money is not your problem, then why not wait for the next version of new Tyros 2? Maybe the release will be this year. If you can't wait then PSR 3000, with its latest features and technology, is worth half the money you will spend than buying the Tyros 1.

#194537 - 02/05/05 04:52 AM Re: PSR 3000
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Don't wait for the next new thing. Get what you can afford NOW. Time's precious, and you've got grandkids to entertain!
My take on the two remember, I'm picky)
*I like the speakers on board
*While the stifness of the keys is better on the Ty, the downward throw is longer on the 3k, and I prefer that. I get more expression from the distance somehow. I don't really like either one, so it's a case of the lesser of 2 evils for me
*The usb in/out is improved on the 3k
*A used 3k will be easier to sell if you upgrade later. The home market is more into that type of unit.
* I believe the vocal harmonizers are equal, or at least REALLY, really similar in quality

So, for me .... the 3k is actually a better choice, even without factoring cost into it.

#194538 - 02/06/05 07:17 AM Re: PSR 3000
zuki Offline

If you like color buttons, a larger color tilt screen and acoustic guitar sounds in the styles, better to check the Tyros out first....just my thoughts.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#194539 - 02/06/05 09:00 AM Re: PSR 3000
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Grandpa Tom: Welcome to the SZ! Both the PSR3000 & Tyros are terrific boards. I've owned the PSR2000 (predessor to the 3000, played the 3000, and have owned & played the Tyro for over 2 years now. Here are some IMPORTANT things to consider, especially for those perhaps visually challenged. The Tyros' includes a much larger, BRIGHTER, and fully ajustable color LCD tilt screen, and includes much larger (easier to read) text (fonts) than the PSR3000.

The Tyros also includes larger (and some of them even light up green or orange to signify operation status) arranger navigation & LCD screen select buttons making for easier selection, especially critical when peforming on the fly.

If remote footpedal control is important ot you, keep in mind that the Tyros includes 3 footpedal controller ouputs vs 2 on the PSR2000.

If you've played church organ previously, then I think you'll find the Tyros key feel more similar to that organ than the PSR3000. As far as 61 vs 76 keys, if you plan to play mostly in arranger mode, then 61 keys will be quite adequate as left hand 'full chord' triggering takes no more than 1-1/2 octaves, leaving 3-1/2 octaves for right hand melody & fills, only a 1/2 octave less than available from middle C to to the top note of a full 88 note keyboard. If you plan to do a lot of solo keyboard playing (arranger function OFF) then I recommend a 76 (or better yet 88) note keyboard instead, or simply connecting a 76 (or 88) note keyboard controller to the Tyros or PSR3000 via midi.

Grandpa Tom, looking forward to hearing which keyboard you end up deciding on. I assure you neither will be a bad decision, but one of these just more ideally suited for your individual needs.

Scott

#194540 - 02/06/05 03:29 PM Re: PSR 3000
TresorTX Offline

Loc: Dallas, Boston, Orlando
I was faced with the same decision last week. PSR3000 or Tyros. Well money not being an issue, I chose the 3000.

I found that the extra$$ was definitely not worth the extra, plus I believe that Yamaha will come out not only with a next generation Tyros, or TyrosII, and because functionally, the Tyros and 3000 are so similar, I would rather spend my money on a next generation board because it will take me that long to exploit the greatness of this fantastic 3000 keyboard.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, my story and I'm sticking to it!!!

Happy playing, Russ

------------------
Russ Bolduc
817-714-0488

PSR S900
Korg PA1XPRO
Kurzweil PC3X
Logitech Z

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online