SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#194497 - 03/04/03 07:37 PM Keyboard-Computer hookup
KN_Fan Offline

Hi All,
I'm trying to hook up my Triton Studio with my Dell (dimension 2350). Just a very simple basic MIDI set up to use the computer as my sequencer.

What kind of stuff I'll need to buy??

Thanks
KN_Fan

#194498 - 03/05/03 12:54 AM Re: Keyboard-Computer hookup
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Two choices.

Assuming you have a PC sound card you can get a midi breakout cable which plugs into the joystick connector (15 way D) and gives you Midi in and out capability. Depending on the cable you may still be able to use the joystick afterwards! This cable should be available at a decent PC or Music store.

The Triton has a "To Host" interface terminal which will connect to a serial port on the PC. The cable and generic software should be available at a good music store; Korg have a suitable driver on their web site.

The "To Host" cable should be less expensive and works just as well. I don't know the capabilities of the Korg driver but I can tell you that my Yamaha MU80 can be configured as a midi interface when using the "To Host" connector, so you get the midi ports anyhow.

Either way, once the appropriate software and hardware is installed you should be able to configure your PC sequencer to use the new midi device.

If you haven't got a PC sequencer software package yet then personally I like Cakealk but I'm sure you'll get other opinions!

#194499 - 03/05/03 03:14 AM Re: Keyboard-Computer hookup
trtjazz Offline

KN,
For midi my advice is get a midiman midisport 4X4 midi interface, it's a USB connection and works great. They also make a less expensive 2x2.

For analog (wav) I suggest a Delta 44 soundcard or the Delta audiophile. The 44 comes with a 4>4< breakout box. It's a hot setup and what I have on my pc.

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#194500 - 03/05/03 05:37 AM Re: Keyboard-Computer hookup
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
If you want to make annalog recordings (WAV) and don't want to spend a lot of money, here's where you'll find complete instructions on the hookup and available programs: http://psrtutorial.com/Intermediate/Recording/recording.htm It's not difficult, you don't need to add anything to your computer, and IMHO, the quality ranges good to excellent depending on the quality of your computer's sound card.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#194501 - 03/06/03 12:38 AM Re: Keyboard-Computer hookup
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I forgot about USB connectivity... old age strikes again

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online