SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#194475 - 12/17/01 01:29 AM PSR2000: storing voices of keyboard part in song files
Michael Krueger Offline

Hi, I'm a new owner of a PSR-2000. In fact it's my first "real" arranger keyboard, so I have some "real" questions...

The PSR-2000 lets you set the voices of the keyboard played parts (Main/Layer/Left) in the song file at any position, at the beginning and even in the middle of the song (see user manual p.104). This is a great feature, as it lets me change my "identity" automatically. While playing back the song it sets up the voices for me to become the sax player when the sax solo is to be played, at the end of the solo it returns to an organ voice for me to continue and so on. You get the idea.

But this approach has a drawback. It stores the setting of all three parts simultaneously. Thus the voice of a keyboard part, that is not about to be changed throughout the song, is fixed in the song at several locations making it hard to modify. E.g. consider a song file where I change the melody voices (Main/Layer) at ten different positions. Now if I decide to change the voice of the bass part (Left) for the whole song, it is not sufficient to setup the voice at the beginning, rather I have to move to each of the ten locations, modify the Left part and store the setting. This is quite time consuming and not much fun if done by the built-in sequencer. Moreover, erasing a setup or changing the location is not so easy to do.

Rather I'd prefer to make these changes in my favourite sequencer software at the PC. By peeking in the step editor I found that the setup of the keyboard voices is stored in the song file as a Meta Event. Unfortunately, using the built-in sequencer this event cannot be modified, it even cannot be viewed in its entity to analyse its structure. Loading the song file in Cakewalk I could not figure out how to access these Meta Events.

So my questions are:

- How can I view/modify thesew Meta Events in Cakewalk?

- Is there an alternative way of controlling the voices of the keyboard parts within a song file (e.g. by sysex messages)?

Thanks for any suggestions

Michael

#194476 - 12/17/01 04:12 AM Re: PSR2000: storing voices of keyboard part in song files
Beakybird Offline

Well in Cakewalk you should at least be able to change the main instrument for each track in the console view.
In the event view Window you should see the control changes of the different voices inserted throughout the song. You can scroll through the events in a track and delete these very easily. Or you can insert voice changes by doing INSERT>BANK/PATCH CHANGE. If you know how to read SysEx, you can go to VIEW>SYSX and try to figure out what info has been inserted.
Does this help?

#194477 - 12/17/01 04:40 AM Re: PSR2000: storing voices of keyboard part in song files
Michael Krueger Offline

Hi Beakybird,

thanks for your answer. Your're right, changing channel voices is a simple task and can easily be edited in the event editor as you described.

But I'm talking about the voices of the keyboard parts. I like to control the voices that are used when I actually touch and play the keyboard.

Michael

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online