SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#194281 - 02/03/04 08:22 PM yamaha
flingers Offline

Loc: Saline, Mi. USA
Simple question, hard to find the answer.
Yamaha makes to sound generators, AWm and AWM2 I am wondering what the difference is between the two? I am sure Yamaha knows, but I can find no info on this. I have noticed most of there pro gear is AWM2, whereas PSR keyboards and the like are simply AWM. Can anyone answer This baffling question for me??
Flingers

#194282 - 02/04/04 01:19 AM Re: yamaha
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I think AWM2 is the newer, improved, higher quality version. AWM[0] has been around for quite a while so the chips are really inexpensive, therefore they'll be in the budget keyboards. Using AWM2 in the more expensive stuff gives the buying public a tangible justification for the extra outlay required.

I've no idea as to the detailed differences although I would expect things like higher sample rates and/or bit depths, better compression algorithm (if used) and more advanced signal processing.

#194283 - 02/04/04 05:36 AM Re: yamaha
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
The wonders of Google! It struck me that the best way to find an analysis of the differences between AWM and AWM2 would be to find info about an early AWM2 device.

The TG55 was such a beast. Heres a link: http://homepage.mac.com/synth_seal/html/tg55.html

Thundering around the links on this site indicates that AWM is 12 bit whereas AWM2 is 16 bit. AWM2 also gains digital fitering.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online