SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#194224 - 12/29/06 08:47 PM stereo sources are recording only in mono!!!!!!!!!!!! plz help!!!!!!
rohith Offline

Loc: Chennai,TN,India
whether its microphone or keyboard, all my recordings are only in mono.. i tried using both line in and microphone input..(im using onboard realtek hd audio on my 915gav chipset.. i do hav extra pci slots though..)
heres a picture of the cable which im using..
http://www.esnips.com/doc/a7ee3ab7-3d21-4258-9dc9-64df59e05d85
and also when i used a headphone connected to my keyboard it worked perfectly.. probably because it had only one cable and not 2 as above.. but does that mean it accepts only mono input??? im CONFUSED!!!!
PLZZ HELP!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by rohith (edited 12-29-2006).]

#194225 - 12/29/06 08:56 PM Re: stereo sources are recording only in mono!!!!!!!!!!!! plz help!!!!!!
rohith Offline

and does this mean that i get only half the loudness as well?? if two sources which output 40dB are placed together.. is the output 40dB or 80dB??? im bad at this(just gonna learn abt it in school...) also if only one channel is recorded does it reduce the clarity??(i think it does.. dunno for sure..)

#194226 - 12/30/06 03:26 AM Re: stereo sources are recording only in mono!!!!!!!!!!!! plz help!!!!!!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Now microphone inputs are almost always monophonic inputs. Yeah if you plug that stereo cable of yours into one of those you will only get one side of the stereo. But your line in is more likely to be a stereo input on a computer. If the line in input was mono then there'd be 2 of them Left & Right. But I think if you run your cable into the line in instead of mic input you should get stereo.

#194227 - 12/30/06 06:19 AM Re: stereo sources are recording only in mono!!!!!!!!!!!! plz help!!!!!!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
First and foremost, what is at the other end of the cable? If it's a stereo jack, it must be plugged into the LINE-IN connection. The MIC in will not work.

Next, have you told your computer what the input source was. This is done by doubld-clicking on the small speaker icon at the lower right corner of the screen, then clicing properties/recording/OK and selecting LINE IN. If this is not done, the default is MIC IN.

You'll find detailed instructions on recording at the PSR Tutorial site .

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#194228 - 12/30/06 06:54 AM Re: stereo sources are recording only in mono!!!!!!!!!!!! plz help!!!!!!
rohith Offline

k thanx guys ill try and let u know..

#194229 - 12/30/06 08:12 AM Re: stereo sources are recording only in mono!!!!!!!!!!!! plz help!!!!!!
rohith Offline

well, using the same cable i connected my keyboard as well as my microphone reciever..(mine is wireless)to both the line input and mic input..(in short.. i tried all combinations..) but a funny thing happened.. when i connected the headphone mic (pink connector) to the mic input everything was loud and clear..(in both the speakers) but on connecting it to the line input nothing happened.. no sound...
also when i used the cable provided along with the mic itself for all the connections,i get the same results..guess the microphone outputs in stereo then, cause the cable provided with it is stereo... wat do u guys think??
here are all the relevant photos.. http://www.esnips.com/web/sanath1234sPhotos

#194230 - 12/30/06 10:51 AM Re: stereo sources are recording only in mono!!!!!!!!!!!! plz help!!!!!!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The photo of the conector shows a mono plug. Most wireless mic systems are not stereo, and I cannot comment on this by the photo, but I suspect it is mono as well.

If you are seeing the signal on both channels of the recording software, you could still be recording in mono--but just putting the same signal on both channels.

Check out the link I provided for recording your own CD, go through the instructions step-by-step, and you should not have a problem recording.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online