SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#194028 - 05/22/07 08:26 PM Do arranger keyboard players have a short attention span?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
I'm asking because of how certain members keep changing keyboards. Today a must-have, tomorrow a must-go. What I really cannot comprehend is that's usually a tiny thng that doesn't please them which certainly can be improved by some tweaking and editing. Considering their knowledge of technology and experience in changing settings (editing and tweaking), it seems to me that perhaps their attention span must be very short. Mind you, I don't mean this post to be an attack, it's just that, given the short time they actually own the keyboard, it must be quite impossible to have such a dislike and can't wait to get rid of it. Changing several keyboards in a couple of months or even less really has me wondering. I always thought, still do, that it's the player that makes a keyboard sound great and not the other way round. The best keyboard in the wrong hands won't impress anyone. You can have all the SA, Mega voices and VSTs in the world, on their own they won't mean a thing. It's still the player that has to make them shine. So why this constant changing?

Wouldn't it also not be fairer, if those keyboards end up for sale on eBay, that the sellers post their dislikes or what they perceive as shortcomings as well instead of making it seem a very reluctant sale of their "beloved" keyboard?

Taike

#194029 - 05/22/07 08:36 PM Re: Do arranger keyboard players have a short attention span?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
sorry what did you say again?

#194030 - 05/22/07 08:58 PM Re: Do arranger keyboard players have a short attention span?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
sorry what did you say again?

see?

#194031 - 05/22/07 09:50 PM Re: Do arranger keyboard players have a short attention span?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
lol

#194032 - 05/22/07 09:52 PM Re: Do arranger keyboard players have a short attention span?
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Taike i really think the issue lies within the player...

person sees a new keyboard, listens to the demos done by the pros. Buys the keyboard, has a lot of fun listening to all the styles and sounds for a few weeks / months, then gets bored... buys another keyboard for the same reasons... gets bored and the cycle continues.

#194033 - 05/22/07 10:00 PM Re: Do arranger keyboard players have a short attention span?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
G1000..... over eight years. G70..... two years and counting......

#194034 - 05/23/07 04:21 AM Re: Do arranger keyboard players have a short attention span?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Myself I do not change keyboards very often and 5 or 6 years being my past limits. I spend time with any new purchase and tweak it to make it my own preferences, but it has to be initially acceptable out of the box. I recently had an experience of buying a new board which as stated above had to go.

My present boards were PSR3000 + Korg Pa50 both excellent boards and both value for money. We attended a seven night keyboard festival recently and I was interested in the Pa800. In between the seven nights evening concerts I spent all seven nights on the Pa800 with my own reference headphones in quiet conditions on Korg display stand. By the end of the week I had decided that this was my next purchase by part-exing the 3K & Pa50.
The Pa800 was delivered 12 days later and I obtained that sinking about making the right choice and feeling to find that it did not sound the way as I remembered it, and again in the same conditions on my own reference headphones.
Just how much more can one do before a purchase. Even the low priced Pa50 inspired me to want to play it every day. The only true way is to have a keyboard at home for 2 to 3 days, only then can one be sure of its true potential

Anyone considering the Pa800 don't be put off with my remarks above, it is good value, it has a lot of option, it's well made and will possibly sound good to your ears...it's all personal.

The only explanation is my ears must have decided to go on holiday after the seven nights keyboard festival...

#194035 - 05/23/07 04:37 AM Re: Do arranger keyboard players have a short attention span?
zuki Offline

I too have been guilty of ditching a board before I found its true capabilities. Since I've explored the 3000 - I can see a keeper here for a long time. But I can assure it won't be my last one

What was the subject again?

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#194036 - 05/23/07 04:43 AM Re: Do arranger keyboard players have a short attention span?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Graham
Has it got the very latest software version installed, (v 1.5 I think) as this is supposed to give a significant improvement.

Bill

#194037 - 05/23/07 06:32 AM Re: Do arranger keyboard players have a short attention span?
spalding4 Offline

Loc: england
heres another angle on it Taike.
The majority of arranger players are more mature (shall we say) and so they tend to have more disposable income than real strugling younger musicians. For them the purchase decision is not going to have any real impact upon their standard of living and they may not have had to sacrifice in the same way a young musician would have to in order to buy an instrument that costs the same as a small car !! So they can swap and change more freely simply because they can.

However i believe that this swaping and changing has a direct impact on their ability to create and improve their musicality because so much time is spent with their heads in a manual or asking questions about the basic operation of the instrument, saving registrations, transfering setups so that they can play the same old songs they played on their last instrument, trying to figure out how to make the latest toy do EXACTLY WHAT THEY TOOK 3 MONTHS TO MAKE THEIR LAST TOY DO ...... As a rsult arranger players tend to spend more time "tweaking" new instruments and "making it their own" rather than actually playing and developeing an affinity with the instrument. I cannot believe that anyone can have truly explored the potential of a modern day arranger in just a couiple of months let alone a few weeks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online