SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12 >
Topic Options
#193927 - 09/03/03 10:11 AM Re: The future of arranger keyboards
Jos Maas Offline

Loc: Hantum, The Netherlands
Frankie,

There wouldn't be any restrictions in the lifetime at all. In the PC arranger you would be able to install new cards and drives and even switch the complete PC mainboard. Just like any other PC.

Hooking up a keyboard to a PC is what I've been doing for decades now. And I'm fat up with the inconveniounce of it.

I'm not getting into all the objections you have against Microsoft. That didn't stop me and a billion others from buying Windows based computers. And it won't stop us from buying a Windows based arranger keyboard if that means getting a lot more for less.

It is true that Windows/Intel is not specially made for musicians. But it wasn't made for home computers either and still they are in the homes. Being the standard is what counts.

Jos

#193928 - 09/03/03 01:37 PM Re: The future of arranger keyboards
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
As far as boot time is concerned. Ekco has developed a method of taking an electronic snapshot of the system so it boots up with the previous snapshot. According to them their is no wait time for re-booting and like someone mentioned the o/s could be in ROM.
Starkeeper

#193929 - 09/03/03 02:02 PM Re: The future of arranger keyboards
awarenessengine Offline

Loc: here
Jos,

Okay, really what you're asking for is something like: a 76 key arranger with 9 inch+ laptop-type screen, a QWERTY keyboard and pad, a chassis that supports expansion, possible removal of the motherboard/cards/memory, Windows OS, and arranger software, and a keyboard that caters for the software, meaning all the transport controls, and buttons you would normally find on an arranger/synth.

From a technical standpoint, yes it is possible and has been shown on prototypes as mentioned already in this thread.

So, you've got to ask yourself why the likes of Yamaha/Roland hasn't created such a beast, and it really goes hand-in-hand with companies like them producing 'musical' products that are geared for musicians.

Here's a scenario: say Yamaha for instance created the music PC with Windows and an open architecture as you say. Where's the product focus? Where do products like the Tyros come from in the future? Where do gems like the Trinity's, i30's and Motif's come from?

The whole thing really boils down to we're a generation of product-buyers that find character in products that are either good or bad. Having an open architecture and PC as you suggest would do away with the character we find in products. You're essentially buying into Microsoft's character, which to be blunt, doesn't have one except for money.

Personally, I think arrangers of the future will have a lot more sophisticated operating systems, and indeed there will not be an arranger keyboard as such - just musical keyboards that reflect good product design and the character of the company that makes them.

Again, putting music production in the hands of Microsoft would be an enormous mistake. Your point about MS being THE standard is entirely true, yet what most people don't seem to not know is that there's other companies out that making better products.

However, if you're like the billions of others as you say who prefer a box at a cheap price, then you're likely not interested in the ideal music PC that you're looking for, which made by any company would cost in excess of $2500 (if it is to be any good).

So, the whole point boils down to the following:

1. Musicians like products with character, an open-standard music PC wouldn't provide this.
2. Microsoft and their Windows OS are totally wrong for music.
3. You can already get what you're asking for by having a lightweight master keyboard and a system of racks. All could be as easily transportable as a single keyboard is.

Frankie.

[This message has been edited by awarenessengine (edited 09-03-2003).]

#193930 - 09/03/03 03:19 PM Re: The future of arranger keyboards
MusiKMan Offline

Loc: California, USA
Joe,
I thimk your program, is the only one in my opinion that has a true future. I tried all the other ones and theyre just not too user friendly.. Dont get me wrong, the other programs are good, but just not as user friendly as yours.

the only thing I dont like about your OMB program, is the fact that you only have one fill in.

Please correct me if im wrong. But I only see one fill in, and in creating songs that are going to be burned on cds, and people will hear, they need to sound realistic. with just one fill in I cant make that happen.
Right now, I own the Korg i30 and the Trinity.
I was thinking about selling my Fully loaded trinity V3 and buying a laptop or one of the new ultra mini cases and turning it into a full fledged recording studio with the arranger capabilities, that your program offers.. But Im still undecided as the Korg I30 offers me at least two fill ins.

Please Joe, if you can do another update where you can give the option for people to put as many fill ins as they want, that would rock big time. You know, where one is default, if people wanna use Yamaha styles or what ever, but optional to put more or assign more to dedicated keys..That would rock big time..

Is this a possibility?

Regarding your idea about dell etc,,
If I was you, since you have a goldmine in your hands, I would definitely create a Proposal to Dell, IBM, Compaq, gateway, or what ever company you think will be more successfull, and sell your product and idea to them.. I think it will work if you approach them with the right stuff...

Do it man, you are going to be rich, seriously, you can be rich.....

Take care,

Musikman

Musikman4Christ........

#193931 - 09/03/03 04:35 PM Re: The future of arranger keyboards
Jos Maas Offline

Frankie,

Yes I prefer a compact box with everything in it for a cheap price. I don't need the "magic" or "character" from Yamaha. Being a software developer I can put that in their myself. BTW I haven't seen much magic happening the last decades. Instead of designing new sounds they are mainly packing wave ROM with sounds of instruments that were designed by talented craftsman in passed centuries, I mean the ones that developed the piano, trumpet and saxophone.

Musikman

You should at least see the different fill in's at level A, B, C and D if they are included in the style. Other fill in's like fill in AB and fill in BA are used too if you combine a fill in trigger with a higher/lower level trigger at the same time. But again they must be present in the style.

I don't see OMB 5.0 as an appropiate tool to produce CD's. Version 6.0 will be that. It will include a new multi style sequencer like XG Works. You can select the parts of up to 10 styles in one sequence. And it won't have any presumption wether a part is a main or fill in, so you can play a complete song with merely fill in's if you like.

About the "goldmine", I have no illusions of getting rich. OMB is completely unknown among the broad public. I'm sure that if Yamaha released it, they would sell a 1000 times the numbers I'm selling. I don't have the marketing instruments they have.

Jos

#193932 - 09/03/03 05:16 PM Re: The future of arranger keyboards
awarenessengine Offline

Loc: here
Jos,

Okay, you're looking for an 'arranger PC' that offers expansion. Why not just build one yourself?

Get a master keyboard, build up a PC chassis for the bottom of it, stick the PC inside, get a flat panel display, mouse and trackpad and you're sorted.

Don't see any problem. Basically, it's 'doable' by yourself.

Frankie.

#193933 - 09/03/03 08:04 PM Re: The future of arranger keyboards
MusiKMan Offline

Loc: California, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jos Maas:
Frankie,

Musikman

You should at least see the different fill in's at level A, B, C and D if they are included in the style. Other fill in's like fill in AB and fill in BA are used too if you combine a fill in trigger with a higher/lower level trigger at the same time. But again they must be present in the style.

I don't see OMB 5.0 as an appropiate tool to produce CD's. Version 6.0 will be that. It will include a new multi style sequencer like XG Works. You can select the parts of up to 10 styles in one sequence. And it won't have any presumption wether a part is a main or fill in, so you can play a complete song with merely fill in's if you like.

About the "goldmine", I have no illusions of getting rich. OMB is completely unknown among the broad public. I'm sure that if Yamaha released it, they would sell a 1000 times the numbers I'm selling. I don't have the marketing instruments they have.

Jos

Yeah, thanks for the reply Joe,
I think your in the right track. I seriously would love to have version 6.0, that would rock big time..

Any ideas how soon that may be in the works?

In the mean time, im going to try to learn as much as I can with what you have provided.

Currently im using the Roland VS1680 with my i30 and Trinity and its working just fine, but im considering going full PC recording, with everything, and just keeping either my i30 or Trinity. What would you recommend?

Thanks for your advice and tips...

best,

Musikman

Musikman4Christ........

#193934 - 09/04/03 01:36 AM Re: The future of arranger keyboards
Jos Maas Offline

Frankie,

Sure it's doable, and probably already done. But putting a new soundcard or CD burner in my PC is about the limit that I'll explore on the hardware front. I just wait until it is in the shops.

Musikman,

The new sequencer is already in the works. I'll spend another month testing it and making help functions. This must be the final version, there will not be a major release every 3 months after that.

If you want to use Yamaha styles I would advice to add an XG device. You get reasonable results in GM mode in OMB, but it will be better with an XG device even a very cheap one. I did some research on available soundcards that have an XG chip in it. Read it at http://www.1manband.nl/which.htm . You can use your other gear to record the melody. Use the MIDI-Mapper to define different MIDI-ports as decribed in the helpfile.

Jos

[This message has been edited by Jos Maas (edited 09-04-2003).]

#193935 - 09/04/03 02:59 AM Re: The future of arranger keyboards
STAM Offline

Loc: Brussels, BELGIUM
Jos,
I do not know if it is possible or if that already exists but a quarter tone function would be a dream for those which are interested in the Eastern music

STAM

#193936 - 09/04/03 05:30 AM Re: The future of arranger keyboards
Vquestor Offline

Jos,
On your website, you don't mention the
Yamaha QY-22, QY-70, or QY-100. Is there
a problem with their XG implementation for
OMB?

Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online