SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#193457 - 01/01/06 05:34 PM Re: Auditions versus demo's
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I think that live is the way to go. I watched DonM do his thing. We went together and live is way better than a CD. Plus, I am always concerned that a c.d. I give someone, it's nice but they might never even listen to your c.d. I thing they are hit with so much, even a good one, they never hear it. You're sunk from the get-go.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 01-02-2006).]

#193458 - 01/02/06 06:56 AM Re: Auditions versus demo's
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
As far as I can remember, I've never gotten a job from a CD. But I don't think I've ever done a free audition either. I remember once years ago getting a job by telling the guy that if he didn't like what I did after the first hour then he didn't have to pay me.
However, I am the World's Worst at hunting work. If it doesn't seek me out, I'm in trouble. Most of my work comes from referrals or from tips from fellow musicians.
Oh, I just remembered, one time in South Louisiana, back in the early 80s, I went into a place with a cassette tape and player. I played it for the guy, and he said, "That's really great. I can put you in this weekend. How many in your band?" I told him he was looking at the band, and then he said, "Oh no, I have to have a whole band!" I still run into this today. In fact, it is even worse now. I've lost jobs that I played as a single for years and years because now they have to have a "full band", even though the customers would prefer me. I suppose it is because of the Karaoke phenomenon.
While I'm rambling, I had a girl come up New Year's Eve and demand to see my playbook. I told her I didn't have one, and she asked "then how will I know what I'm going to sing". I told her that was easy, she wasn't going to sing anything. People often just don't recognize the difference between live music, arranger music, K******, DJ, etc.
As Dylan said, "The times they are a changin'".
DonM

#193459 - 01/03/06 07:17 AM Re: Auditions versus demo's
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
This is funny and it just happened. I got a call while I was in Florida last week from a facility I'd never heard of who wanted to book me and said they had my demo CD. I didn't remember sending any out so I thought that was strange. I talked with them yesterday and they jogged my memory. About a year and a half ago I attended a senior expo and gave out promo packets that included a demo CD. A year and a half later this is the first one I've heard from and I did book the job. So they do work. I still prefer live and I always try and invite prospective clients to live gigs.

Salud,

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#193460 - 01/03/06 07:34 AM Re: Auditions versus demo's
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
It depends how good your live performance really is. The better you are, the more advantageous the live audition vs a demo CD. OTOH... last summer I saw a Beetles cover band who's performance was IMO below average. When being introduced, the sponser stated that this was the first time she hired a band without hearing them in person, but she was so impressed with their press kit.

I was curious enough to obtain a copy of their press kit and it really was fantastic... photos, press released endorsements, and a CD that sounded better than they sounded live.

IMO, go the route which gives the better impression of YOUR performance... preferably live, but keeping in mind, you can, in addition, cover more ground by also using demo CDs.

Glenn

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online