SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#193177 - 10/22/02 05:02 AM Questions about Solton keyboards
Micco Offline

Loc: Finland
Last friday I phoned to Musitronics and told them about the problem I have with the USB interface. They promised to send me a new one and it will arrive in two weeks. I hope that it will work, but if it doesn´t I will upgrade from PSR9000 to TYROS.

The last time I was looking for a new keyboard I had three choices, Yamaha PSR9000, Technics KN6000 and Solton X1. Now I have heard that Solton has new keyboards on the market. There is SD1, SG1, SG9 and WEGA. At the moment I am a bit confused. Our dealer told me that the SD1 is a replacement for the X1. Is this true? The dealer also told me that the X1 is still on the market. He also told me that the SG1 is also a top model. So what are the differences between SD1 and SG1? What is SG9 and WEGA then?

P.S Which is better TYROS or SD1?

Micco

#193178 - 10/22/02 08:16 AM Re: Questions about Solton keyboards
Roel Offline

Please look on www.ketron.it for more details.

I'd better not answer your question : "Which one is better" ha !

regards,

Roel

#193179 - 10/22/02 08:29 AM Re: Questions about Solton keyboards
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Real simply, SD1 is not a replacement for the X1. The SD1 is 76-note, no speakers--a newer model.
XD9 is more a replacement for X1. It uses the same case, but has new OS and sounds like the SD1. It has 61 notes and speakers. Vega is very similar but has ethnic features.
Previously Ketron keyboards were marketed by Solton. That's why the X1 says Solton. Now Solton is marketing the SG, but it is NOT made by Ketron, it is made by General Music and is virtually, if not exactly, the same as the GEM Odysey (I might buy one if I could remember how to spell it.)
I'm sure George Kaye or DanO will see this string and make corrections.
DonM

#193180 - 10/22/02 09:10 AM Re: Questions about Solton keyboards
trtjazz Offline

Micco,
For me the bottom line is really this....all of these boards Ketron, Gem, Yamaha, Korg and whoever else is making one. They are all good boards. When you compare like to like, meaning it's difficult, if not impossible to compare a $1000.00 board to a $3000.00 one. However when you get in the same price bracket, I think they are all great boards and I really do not think one is better than the other except for each individuals likes dislikes and ears.

Though they sound different, that does not imply one is "better" than the other. It has all to do with what it is us players bring to the table to judge one board from another. What user interface,sounds,styles seems more intuitive and inspiring to each of us.

So when you ask the question which is better? The answer is, it depends on who you are asking and their personal preferences.

Now if you ask which is better, a $300.00 Casio or a Ketron SD1 or the Tyros or other boards in these price brackets, there is no doubt that you will get a nicer board with nicer sounds when you get into the higher dollars.

I'm not sure there is a "better" though when you compare both in the same bracket, they're just different.
Terry

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 10-22-2002).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online