SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#192884 - 08/08/02 10:57 PM Cleaning the Keys
sunnycool Offline

Loc: india
What can I use other than key cleaning fluids which are not available here for cleaning my keyboard keys? Are there any household materials I can use...simple and easily available.Also cud yu gimme some tips on keyboard maintenance...!
THX

#192885 - 08/08/02 11:06 PM Re: Cleaning the Keys
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've never used anything but a damp cloth. The "key" is to wipe them off after you use the keyboard and don't let the dirt accumulate.
Unfortunately when you play in places where smoking is allowed, you must be careful to keep the smoke stains off.
DonM

#192886 - 08/09/02 06:18 AM Re: Cleaning the Keys
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
I agree with Don, just a damp cloth.
Used some dishwasher detergent for bad stains in the past, but just very very little and only damp.

#192887 - 08/09/02 06:55 AM Re: Cleaning the Keys
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Sunny,
Here is what I do;
First I vacum the whole KB {lighly with a soft vacum brush-becarful that you don`t scratch the display} Then to clean the key`s I {spray a small amount of "glass plus" or "windex" on a soft cotton cloth and wipe the key`s , gently [back to front try not to wipe left to right] . After the KB is clean I always keep it covered when not in use and to protect the display I cover it with a [well washed , soft polishing cloth. you must make sure that it is realy free of any waxes or silicons that might be on the cloth] The kind I use is just a plain cotton polishing cloth folded in half and placed on the display before I cover the KB.
There are a few places to by covers, right now I`m using the one that "Yamaha" has to offer it`s a little large but "ok".
The only down side to using "plastic or vinyl" covers it that if you store your KB with the cover on you could damage the plastic case of the KB. But if you chose somthing "less taylored" you could just use a [soft "beach towel"] or an old [cotten sheet] the idea is to keep as much dust and debri from falling in the "speakers" and interfearing with the "switches"
Take care and happy playing
jedi

#192888 - 08/09/02 12:04 PM Re: Cleaning the Keys
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Jedi,
Ian Solo would be proud of you.

#192889 - 08/09/02 01:40 PM Re: Cleaning the Keys
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sunnycool:
[B]What can I use other than key cleaning fluids which are not available here
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
PC Monitor wipes work wonders

#192890 - 08/09/02 02:22 PM Re: Cleaning the Keys
jedi Offline

Hi Dreamer,
I`m not sure I know who "Ian Solo" is but I`m glad you like my "cleaning tips"
I also have a "Guild-D55" and you would realy "get-a-kick" of how I take care of it
I`m not sure if you play guitar , but if you do then you know what I`m getting at !
And if you decide to just rember "A fine guitar is like a marriage , the first year is the hardest" !
Even though the wood they use is supposed to be "seasoned" it takes about a year for the wood to "settle" after they make the guitar and there is "tension" on the "neck and bridge"
So KB players, as far as maintenance ,have it pretty easy
Take care,
jedi

#192891 - 08/09/02 10:32 PM Re: Cleaning the Keys
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Hi Jedi,
maybe it was "Han Solo" after all, huh?
I used to be a guitar player (I still have a Gibson SG custom...in the sense that it's custom made, because I applied a third pick up and painted it black, like the song... ), and the most annoying things were: having to replace the chords very often, otherwise the oxidation process affected badly the sound, and keeping it in tune.
This was a big problem expecially for guitars like the ES 175 because, as you know, the bridge is not fixed and every time I changed the chords it was a real pain to find the right position for a perfect tuning.
By comparison, electronic keyboards are so easy to handle!

#192892 - 08/10/02 10:29 AM Re: Cleaning the Keys
jedi Offline

Hi Dreamer,
Gibson SG nice guitar, I know what you mean about the "bridge" and changing strings. Here`s a tip, when you change strings on a guitar with a non-fixed bridge there is usualy an adjustment on the bridge assembly so that once you change strings you can "fine tune" the bridge for "intonation" . Lightly touch each string twelfth fret and the harmonic should be the same as the note played on the twelfth fret. If it`s not ,you can take an "alan wrench" or small screw driver to move the part of the bridge that touches the string, (either towards the saddle or the nut )
I hope this helps and I think I`ve heard of "Han Solo"
Together again ha,
how are we doing?
Luke;
About the same as always,
Han;
That bad?
Luke;
Just stay close to Chewie
I`ve taken care of everything!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
jedi

#192893 - 08/10/02 12:42 PM Re: Cleaning the Keys
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Hi Andrea

Just a small secret that I learned with an old Gibson owner.
Strings changing order:
You have:1E,2B,3G,4D,5A,6E
So,you must change: 1E,3G,5A,2B,4D,6E, to prevent the bridge adjustment.
Regards
Chico

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online