SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#192748 - 02/11/03 07:42 PM Mic Feedback/PSR2000 V. Harmony
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
I'm almost like a newbe, 'cause I've been away so long. I glad to be back.
I got a problem I know you Musicians can help me with. I had a radioshack mic the feedback was terrible!
So I tried a Shure Prologue 12L it is a Dynamic mic. Would another type of mic work
better? It works just great as clear as a bell, until I kick in the vocal harmonizer!
Around the house, with volume's set low,no problem! When I take it to the resthome I have to turn the Volume up higher I get feedback! But only when I use the harmonizer.
Thanks for reading,
Nobby

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 02-14-2003).]

#192749 - 02/11/03 10:46 PM Re: Mic Feedback/PSR2000 V. Harmony
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
My guess would you be either you are breaking simple rule, and putting the microphone in front of a speaker; OR there is a frequency that is being excited. If you don't have the microphone pointed near the speaker, then I would suggest using an EQ either one built in the instrument (if that is a feature) or an external EQ. If you are using the built in speakers of the instrument make sure the mircrophone is a hyper-cardiod and you don't have the mic on an angle. Have the mic end (where the cable is plugged in) pointed directly at the speakers.

[This message has been edited by PaulD (edited 02-11-2003).]

#192750 - 02/12/03 01:16 AM Re: Mic Feedback/PSR2000 V. Harmony
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Harmoniser output too loud?
Use compressor setting on Microphone input?

Feedback shouldn't really happen with a directional mic such as yours, unless - as PaulD says - you are sitting in front of the PA speakers (which is a bad idea anyhow).

#192751 - 02/12/03 07:12 AM Re: Mic Feedback/PSR2000 V. Harmony
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
If you are using an external amp, keep the volume of the keyboard at relatively low levels and only raise the amp's master volume.

I suspect, however, that you are not using an external amp, but instead, using the keyboard's internal amp and trying to play and sing to an audience. If this is the case, it's just not practical--even with the supercardioid Radio Shack mic. The only option is to construct a pair of speaker hoods made from heavy, black posterboard and attach them to the keyboard with Velcro strips. When completed, they'll look like air-scoops that youngsters put on the hoods of cars for their turbo-chargers. They will direct the sound away from you and toward your audience, thereby, reducing the possibility of generating feedback. The best optio, however, is to use an external amp, even if it's just a 100 watts--the results are far better.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#192752 - 02/13/03 06:05 AM Re: Mic Feedback/PSR2000 V. Harmony
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Nobby:
When I take it to the resthome I have to turn the Volume up higher I get feedback! But only when I use the harmonizer.

On common mistreatment of harmonizers is forgetting that you are INCREASING the signal by as many as 4 times. It's just like adding 3 or 4 people to the "live mix" so naturally, the possibility of feedback is there.
First of all - harmonies should NOT be 4 times louder than lead parts, so ....... SING QUIETER when you kick in the harmony! The total blend of voices should be proportional to the rest of the lead. The harmonies are there to enhance, NOT to overpower.
Another way to deal with it is to back off the mic when singing harmony. Then lean IN when doing lead. This will help the balance issue.
Remember ..... you are now the vocal "ARRANGER" and you have to be aware of the many changes in the orchestration when you add voices. It's not as simple as pushing the button and "VOILA" - Manhatten Transfer appears!
Work on the blend, and the feedback will go away.

#192753 - 02/13/03 06:18 AM Re: Mic Feedback/PSR2000 V. Harmony
Beakybird Offline

I don't know if this is an option for you, but I use a wired headset mic with my PSR2000. Mine is rather expensive. It's the Crown CM-311A whose price was just dropped at Musiciansfriend.com to $199.

The advantage of the headset is that feedback is minimized as the mic is always kept close to your lips.

The mic is not suitable if your voice volume level varies a lot - if you need to belt it out for the high notes. It's also not suitable if you belch and hiccup a lot during your performance, as your mouth is right there, and unless you turn the mic off, everyone will hear.

Beakybird

#192754 - 02/14/03 06:41 PM Re: Mic Feedback/PSR2000 V. Harmony
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Thank you guys for your input on this matter!You are right when I use VH thru powered speakers, pointed toward the audience an keep the volume of the speakers on my KB low
it works fine.
I play most at resthomes. I not able to carry a lot around. So these small jobs,
I use the built in speaker. I have a small powerd bass boost speaker. that I set on the floor.

PaulD, I sure your right, anyone who's been in this busness very long knows you can't point a mic at a speaker. But the speakers are right there, even tho I'm not right over them. The mic is directional, but I'm sure plenty of the sound coming around the sides of it to cause feed back when the speakers ar to loud.

MacAllcock,
I have reset the Mic vol. I try to keep it ar low as I can and turn it up as I need in the boards mixer.

travlin'easy, You are right I do use the built in system!

Uncle Dave By workin the mic I can avoid the feedback. Dave I can remember when we had to work the mic. We only had one! I played flatop guitar we had a fiddle, banjo &
a dobro. Three of us sang & we played bluegrass Country. We had to work the mic!

Beakybird,
I've never tried one of tho's, Might work for me.
I going to try to work with what I got for now.
Thank you guys for your input on this.
Your Friend,
Nobby

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online