SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#19262 - 03/29/00 08:43 AM advice
leeee Offline

Loc: london, england
Hi to all,

i am in the process of buying some kit and urgently need some advice.
i have been playing piano and keyboards since the age of ten and am now thirty, but unfortunatly i am not the most technical when it comes to sequencing (i get a bit glassy eyed at some of these sys-ex computer programmy type sequencers)
i have a wide and varied set of influences and do not want to be tied to just dance music.
i have heard the Korg Titon and i really like the sounds, the fact that i will be able to sample (now the version 2.0 operating sytem is available) and the sequencer, arp, vocoder and realtime control (though not as much as a z1) that the machine contains.
however i have heard that there is no requantization/groove quantization/swing facility onboard.
is this true?
i am now thinking about a Yamaha Rm1x with maybe a seperate sampler and a Korg z1 (probably)or Roland xp60/80 (very much a maybe)
Basically i need a good sounding versatile setup and i want to stick to a hardware solution.
I could (if i get the triton) requantize midi files on a friends rm1x or pc, could i not????
Also i have read that the filters on the Triton are crap what does this really mean???
i hear that the hpf is not a resonant hpf what does this mean.
can i not use the hpf and then add resonance if i want.
on the matter of no internal resampling
so what i can just reroute the adiuo out from my amp/minidisc back into the triton and resample,or does it not work like that.
surely there are work arounds for any shortcomings of any kit i have seen on machine thatdoes everything.
i dont want to have kit that i will outgrow fairly quickly and have to keep upgrading so but also do not want to spend more than £2500.
any feedback will be most gratefully recieved.
cheers all

#19263 - 03/30/00 04:07 AM Re: advice
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
The Korg Triton is great if you want to have it 'all in one box' so to speak.

It has great sounds and the best effects system of any synthe so far, an easy to use and relatively flexible hardware sequencer and a fully functional, easy to use sampler that has some extra new features added in 2.0.

No it doesn't have internal resampling and you can't reroute audio the way you asked- it just won't work. Hopefully Korg will add internal resampling in a future upgrade.

The sequencer does not contain swing or groove quantizing but my advice to you is to try the quantizing options that are available out beforehand because they just might be good enough (there is percentage quantize available).

The Triton's synthe section is not as powerful as something like the Kurzweil K series or Emu samplers and modules. It's filter has no resonance in LP+HP mode unfortunately (The Trinity had better filters in my opinion). The drumkit programming is also a bit more limiting than in something like a Yamaha EX5 for example. But the Triton's ROM waveforms are mostly excellent with the exception of the crappy acoustic piano sample (get the PCM piano board or get your own sample from somewhere for that sound). It's LFO's are very flexible with 21! different waveform choices and in all the Triton does have flexible modulation routings. However, my advice is not to go on what the synthe doesn't have but WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE AND WHETHER IT INSPIRES YOU WITH YOUR MUSIC!

The Triton can function as a dedicated 2 in 6 out multi fx processor- therefore you are getting powerful fx processing for your external gear etc thrown in for nothing!

Yes you could also go the hardware seperate components route with something like a Roland MC80 hardware sequencer hooked up to a choice controller (like a Korg Z1- I own and love this keyboard!) and mabey something like a Roland JV module (or the new excellent XV modules).

As a matter of fact if going the 'seperate' way, 2 great new boards to check out (both with 88 note weighted action keyboards) are the Yamaha S80 and Roland XV88. The XV88 has 128 notes of polyphony as opposed to the S80's 64. Both can be expanded with extra boards and both had HOT sounds and effects.

Check them out. As for Roland workstation synthes- I'd wait a little while and see what new toys they will bring out as the XP series are getting a bit old now in my opinion. No doubt they will come out with some super workstation to compete with the Triton based on the XV synthes and the MC sequencer (this is just my guess!).

However the Roland XV and Yamaha S80 can't sample like the Triton can.

Like yourself, I am also looking at going away from the computer route. There is just too much bullshit involved in using a computer for music (midi/audio). Plus the fact that I am so computer phobic!!!!!!Cheers.

#19264 - 03/30/00 04:19 AM Re: advice
leeee Offline

Loc: london, england
Quote:
Originally posted by Korgasm:

No it doesn't have internal resampling and you can't reroute audio the way you asked- it just won't work. Hopefully Korg will add internal resampling in a future upgrade.

okay am i right in thinking that i could sample from records/cd/tape/minidisc by plugging them into the inputs on the back of a triton????
if this is correct then i can recored the outs from the triton onto minidisc,yes???
i can then play the minidisc and sample it wuth effects yes???
i thought that the triton enabled sampling with effects ???

#19265 - 04/01/00 03:31 AM Re: advice
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
Yes of course you can sample from any source into the Triton. Then you can rerecord that onto your DAT/MINIDISC etc and sample it again back into the Triton using the built in effects. Buy why bother with the extra work. Simply use effects the 1st time you record your signal from your origional source and if you still want to add more effects, then do as discussed above and continue sample and then record back again between the source and the Triton. It's not internal resampling but it is the next best thing at the moment I suppose.

I sure hope Korg listen to their users and add internal resampling in the next major upgrade. It is an essential function for any modern sampler!

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online