SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#192466 - 03/05/02 10:07 PM Re: Frustrated - When will my PSR 2k come back
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Two problems for me paying the 35 dollar "priority fee". One... The *&$@#%* thing isn't 4 months old. This is a bit different for me than was the case with my 740, which was well beyond warranty, and probably suffered from my very heavy hand and constant use of the pitch wheel ( although the repair person told me mine was one of four he had to work on with the exact same pitch wheel problem ). On the 2000 I barely even USED the disc drive ( it's a mechanical problem..discs won't pop out ).

Second but most important... the "fee" STILL doesn't guarantee when I'm going to get the board back. Sorry but this is BAD business. I know, I ran one of my own for 20 years very successfully until a serious injury forced me to give it up.

The airline thing ..with 1st class service isn't really a good analogy. I don't expect I'd need any warranty work if something goes terribly wrong because there isn't much they can do when they scrape me off the ground anyway. You are purchasing a one time only service with an airline. If you're not happy with the service, at the end you walk away ( hopefully in the city you were flying to )and it's over. Not so with a keyboard. There you are purchasing an item which ( hopefully ) will be reused many many times. There was NO option to purchase a premium PSR2000 ( ok maybe a 9000 but defects are defects at any price ). Either way once you've purchased a board, it stays with you.

This also isn't the best analogy but I think it's closer. Imagine this.. It is April.. I install windows at your house. I finish the job. You like my work. You pay me. We're both happy. My work is warranteed. By June, your bedroom window which opens with a crank suddenly does not open. The crank is stripped. You call me back. I tell you it might take up to 3 weeks for me to do the actual repair. It is 90 degrees out. Your room has no AC. So that you can get some fresh air, I come by and put a manual crank on the window ( most likely a vise grip ) It is a pain in the neck to open the window, but it half assed works. You aren't happy, but you agree to wait. 3 and a half weeks go by.. You call me . I tell you ..sorry, I'm backed up.. but maybe within the next 3 weeks. Then I insult you by telling you that if you pay me an extra 35 dollars for my warranteed work, I will be able to get there sooner, but I'm still not sure when... How long before my butt is in small claims court ? Of MUCH more importance, will I ever get a job or recommendation from you again ?
It seems though that so many of today's businesses don't care if you come back after the first sale.
The reason I stayed in business, was able to command a good dollar, and was always busy up to my ears in work in spite of my competitors constantly trying to undercut my prices, was because I had a sterling reputation for always trying to please my customers. If the problem I described really happened, I'm at your house tomorrow fixing it. I don't expect the same from the KB company, but asking me to wait 6 weeks or more ? Sorry, that doesn't cut it.

As far as the extra boards.. That's a very good Idea Larry, but not feasible for me right now. I'd LOVE to be able to do that but.... using that theory I'd need..if it's just board of choice another, PA80. Hmmm if anyone can convince the wife that I need to spend 2 grand more on a board I already have when we are feeding 5 mouths here, I'll invite ya over for the best homecooked Italian dinner...LOL. I could be fine without the 2000, but I guess in reality I'd better get the harmonizer for the PA80, which from what I hear isn't as good as the one in the 2000. sigh......

I agree Larry that the store should be more proactive in this, and I've asked them to but unfortunately this doesn't seem to be happening. The proactive part will cost me 35 dollars it appears. I'm not angry that the board has a defect. We are all human and unfortunately things like that happen. I'm very dissatisfied however, with the way it's being treated.
The reality is.. the way George described it is EXACTLY how it should have been handled.

Korg AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 03-06-2002).]

#192467 - 03/06/02 09:09 PM Re: Frustrated - When will my PSR 2k come back
RicRob Offline

Loc: Bethlehem, PA, USA
I really don't like what I see here.
My PSR2000 must go in for a vocalizer problem. Only have it about a month. Maybe I should wait till I'm closer to the 90 day warranty expiration date to have it looked at, as the shop might have it when it runs out. Don't think a 90 day full warranty is good advertisement for a product of this nature.
I'm sorry to see you are having so much trouble getting your board repaired.

#192468 - 03/07/02 06:26 AM Re: Frustrated - When will my PSR 2k come back
Bluezplayer Offline

I addressed the vocalizer and several other OS issues when I brought the board in. I don't know if the chips are in for the updated OS, but the point was to have my concerns documented before the 90 day expiration and then they could be addressed when the chips do arrive. After all of this stuff with a simple mechanical disc drive malfunction, it is very unlikely that my board will have an updated OS installed when it is returned, necessitating another trip to the repair shop for THAT... The saga never seems to end with this board. After my experiences with this and waiting almost a year for the PA80 to have a complete OS, my straategy is going to have to change now that I'm back into the performing end of this business. From now on I'm not purchasing the " latest and greatest " until the kinks have been worked out of them. If I ever get the 2000 squared away it's gonna be a good board for performing, along with the finally completed PA80, so I'll just hang on to them until the next generation has all of the bugs and problems ironed out, because it seems to me that a lot of new boards are released like " beta " versions, where the consumer helps the manufacturer test the thing so that the bugs can be ironed out AFTER he / she purchases it. That isn't gonna work for me when I have to depend on a board for live play.

Korg AJ

#192469 - 03/07/02 01:32 PM Re: Frustrated - When will my PSR 2k come back
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
AJ

I can sympathize with you story about deliveries to your house. I live in a small unincorporated town tht is 25 miles from San Francisco. We have NO mail delivery and must pick up mail at the post office. Of course, Fed Ex, UPS and everyone else will deliver directly to my house. That is, if I can convince the merchant that my PO Box is my billing address.
I won't go on and on. But believe me, it has taken me a few years to get the whole damn thing straightened out, so that I can get sellers to ship to me. It's a huge pain in the butt that crops up over and over again.

PS: While I feel my taxes are high enough to warrant mail delivery, many "townsfolk" think this is a charming, old-fashioned and quaint feature of our town. It ain't.

#192470 - 03/07/02 05:03 PM Re: Frustrated - When will my PSR 2k come back
Bluezplayer Offline

Well, I guess I dished out enough griping about this issue including a good bit toward the store that I was dealing with, so now, I guess I should also throw a little praise their way. I see now that they are trying to work with me here. The offer of the loan of a harmonizer was more than adequate for me to resolve my issues for the time being. The bottom line is that I should now be able to do my gig with all the tools I'm gonna need, which is all I really ever wanted in the first place. They simply don't have another 2000 in stock, and they are coming to the conclusion that the board will have to be replaced rather than repaired, because I think the tech acknowledged that the OS needs an update in mine, and Yamaha has told them there are no replacement chips available for delivery at this time.

Tom, I think some of the folks around here also like this "quaint" setup. In reality, the PO box thing doesn't really upset me all that much most times. Only problems like not being able to get things delivered via carrier services can be frustrating. In some ways I actually kinda like picking up the mail at the post office. Both of the local postal employees are really nice people to talk to and we have had some good conversations.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 03-07-2002).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online