SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#192137 - 04/30/03 09:57 AM New O/S Upgrade for Tyros Users!!!! Version 1.20
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
A new o/s upgrade has been posted at the Yamahapkclub.com/tyros/download site. Here are the changes in this OS fix. The biggest and the most intriguing is the upgrade to the USB-Storage Mode enhancement which facilitates faster transfer from computer to the Tyros Hard Disk!!!!! They claim 1.6/mb per second transfer speed!!!! Yippeeee.
I'll let you know how happy I am after I try it.

Al

VERSION UP LIST

The following problems are solved on Version 1.20 (Revisions from Ver1.10)

Function Problem
Vocal Harmony When the Vocal Harmony is turned on or off, the vocal sound is interrupted. The interruption time is decreased on the new version.

One Touch Setting When the One Touch Setting is selected after choosing a style on Floppy Disk or Hard Disk, Split Points and Fingering type reset to default value.

Registration Memory When a different song is selected by the Registration Memory, the Chord Detect and VH Song Track settings aren't set correctly.

Song Creator If a song contains System Exclusive Message of more than 128 bytes and this song is edited by Song Creator, this song can't be played on TYROS.

USB
(for HDD Users) The new file transfer function for Hard Disk is added on the new version. This new function provides approximately 1.6Mbit/sec of average transfer speed between PC and Hard Disk on the TYROS. (The speed depends on the circumstances such as PC performance, file size and so on.)
Please refer to the instruction manual called "USB-Storage Mode (HDD)".

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#192138 - 04/30/03 10:12 AM Re: New O/S Upgrade for Tyros Users!!!! Version 1.20
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Al (kbrkr): Great news ! Thanks for sharing the valuable information. I look forward to installing this upgrade and (hopefully) gaining the increased USB speed as well. I hope the 1.6 speed (Mbit?, is that the same as Megabytes/sec?) is not only available for people with USB 2, but also USB version 1 as well). The other good thing about this upgrade is that it now allows people with Macs (like Micco) to easily upgrade as well because there's an option to install via floppy disks (abeit 21 each) now. - Scott

#192139 - 04/30/03 10:19 AM Re: New O/S Upgrade for Tyros Users!!!! Version 1.20
kbrkr Offline

Scottyee,

Your very welcome. I haven't updated my Tyros as yet since I'm at work, but it looks as though you can now use the Tyros as another device in Windows Explorer!!! This means you no longer need to use the File Transfer Utility!!!

This is huge!

Al

#192140 - 04/30/03 02:30 PM Re: New O/S Upgrade for Tyros Users!!!! Version 1.20
Dnj Offline

Please let us know how it compares to the previous OS?

#192141 - 04/30/03 05:03 PM Re: New O/S Upgrade for Tyros Users!!!! Version 1.20
trtjazz Offline

Donny,
This upgrade is outstanding. It has made the h/d visible in Windows Explorer like any other hard drive and moves as fast.

Definitely a must have upgrade for Tyros owners.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 04-30-2003).]

#192142 - 04/30/03 05:31 PM Re: New O/S Upgrade for Tyros Users!!!! Version 1.20
kbrkr Offline

I cannot believe the difference in performance!!!!

Just outstanding. I can now manage the hard disk so quickly. I can even launch Sonar on the midi files that reside on the Tyros hard disk with NO DELAY AT ALL!!!!

Add, Deleting, Changing names, creating folders, are now Blazingly Fast!!!!

Kudos to Yamaha for an outstanding Job!!!!!

Those programmers deserve a big time pat on the back.

Al

#192143 - 04/30/03 07:21 PM Re: New O/S Upgrade for Tyros Users!!!! Version 1.20
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
kbrkr and all: As stated on a separate thread, Yamaha adding the new HDD mode feature which treats the Tyros HD as another storage device, viewed & accessed directly via Windows Explorer at normal fast PC file transfer speed (finally) is fantastic. The ability to defragmnent, optimize, and virus scan the Tyros HD via the PC is yet another added plus.

it's IMPORTANT to note though, that in order to take advantage of the new lightening fast USB speed, you need to first reboot the Tyros (while holding down the Music Finder button).

This is fine when backing up or transfering a lot of data, or for file reorganization & file re-naming projects, but . . .

when working on a Tyros song project which requires continued access & playing the Tyros keyboard while transfering a few files to the PC in the middle of a session project (such as naming Registrations via Heiko Plate's 'PSR Reg' utlity or editing a Music Finder file via Michael Bedesem's 'Music Finder View' program) and then moving the file(s) back to the Tyros right away, I prefer to continue to utilize the slower Yamaha 'Tyros File Utility'for Tyros to PC USB connection, as this allows you to continue to play the Tyros Kb before, during, and after files are transfered back and forth without having to reboot the Tyros. The other thing to note is that once you're in 'HDD' mode, to release the USB connection, you must manally go into the Windows System tray and select the USB icon to release the connection before shutting off the Tyros and rebooting.

I'm enjoying the Tyros more than ever now.

Scott

#192144 - 04/30/03 08:04 PM Re: New O/S Upgrade for Tyros Users!!!! Version 1.20
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Kudos to Yamaha. I guess they heard all the grumbling from Tyros owners around the Net and they stepped up to the plate. They made a base hit with this fix alright. Albeit, the Home Run will be on Tyros II, III, IV, etc., when they incorporate USB 2.0. As I said before if people don't speak up and let there voice be heard, problems such as this USB thing with the Tyros would have probably never gotten fixed.

Again, thank you Yamaha and our own Steve Deming for relaying our frustrations and concerns that people had with the slow USB transfer rate on the Tyros and providing a very worthy fix plus other fixes too. It almost makes me want to run out and buy a Tyros when I see Yammy providing this great support for their new High End Arranger. Too bad they can't morph in some kicker built-in speakers with one of those OS updates.

Best regards,
Mike

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online