SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#1920 - 07/24/02 03:53 PM Triton Studio Workstation Sampler? Is it really any good?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've read through earlier posts I can tell that the Motif is way better than the TritonLe but I was curious if anyone had played the Triton Studio.

Is it better than the Motif 6 all in all? Sound wise? or is it just a Triton Pro with a hard drive?

Just curious, I live so far away from a big city it will take me forever to get to actually see one and I wanted to know if it was worth the wait... or if I should just keep my heart set on the Motif?

I'm mainly interested in a good Rhodes sound, but I also like doodling with Dance and Hip Hop music.

#1921 - 08/19/02 08:42 AM Re: Triton Studio Workstation Sampler? Is it really any good?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I have a Motif 6 and a Triton rack. All my MIDI is written in XG which has a substancial increase in overall functions, custom assignments, modulation controls, more sysex, and stock standard labeled sounds over Roland's GS or GM2. For this reason the Motif is a clear choice for me as far as sequencial sample. I WISH their would've been a better standard established than GM2. Lord knows we waited long enough. GM2 compared to legacy MIDI is indeed quite a bit of improvment, but not in comparison to the development of electronic music over the decade + it took the MMA & JMSC to cough it up and spit it out to us (yes I was dissapointed upon it's release..."that's it? You mean all of us have been waiting this long for...this?"). I almost thought they were only kidding.
The Korg Rack will accept 16bit sound up to 48KHzsps (Samples per Second, not modulated frequency). That's OK I guess but the other stuff I have is 24 & 32 bit up as far as 192,000 sps which means that the 16 would have to be converted to 32 bit floating as well as the sample rate and I don't like to have to shave my lunch breaks down to do crap like that. Plus other than the dynamic thresholds, it only makes it pseudo compatible and up-sampling sure doesn't increase original sonics in the material unless it is further processed. Again, my lunch...upsampling takes some time because it requires a preconditioning, and yet another filter to buff out the roughness after completing to a converted signal of 32 bit floating point. I will stop right there as usuall I'm going off on some aimless tangent.
Getting to answer the posting...
The Motif 6 is a different dog, somewhat more useable if you do a decent amount of XG MIDI. But Is the Triton Studio Workstation any good? I've tried it out. Yeah sure it is. It's great in fact. I would even buy one if only my wife weren't my accountant. (I KNEW I should have just kept her in charge of all asthetics.) You said you're into a good rhodes sound. Well some here know what I feel about the Rhodes. I'll just say "Jumbo Shrimp!" to that. Dance & Hip Hop too? Sir I think its a tough decision. I think I would actually sway to the Yamee, but it's a tough one.
The toughest of all is you "mainly interested in a good Rhodes sound". Remember sound variation is infinite.

#1922 - 08/19/02 03:59 PM Re: Triton Studio Workstation Sampler? Is it really any good?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The Motif rhodes as the best out there.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online