SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#191987 - 09/21/06 07:33 PM Just won a pair of Eon10 G2s on Ebay
Beakybird Offline

Tell me if I got a good buy or what. Someone was unloading 10 of these on Ebay on a Dutch auction. They were advertised as completely unblemished and packaged in the original box with manual.

Starting price was $250 apiece. Ending price was $272 each plus shipping.

I'm pretty happy since the street price for these are $550 each, even though I've been quoted $900 for a pair including taxes by a local dealer.

Hopefully, these speakers will be more dependable than my Yamaha MSR100s. I A/B'd the Yamaha and the JBL's and they sounded the same to me at a moderate volume, but I know that the JBL's go much louder.

I'm excited about getting such great speakers, maybe not the best high fidelity in the universe, but the very best for their size and weight.

Beakybird

#191988 - 09/21/06 08:02 PM Re: Just won a pair of Eon10 G2s on Ebay
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Assuming they're OK, you got a great deal. They are great speakers. Unbelievable volume and base for such a small package.

Glenn

#191989 - 09/22/06 07:37 AM Re: Just won a pair of Eon10 G2s on Ebay
montana Offline

Loc: red lodge,mt,usa
If they are in good shape you did well. I've been using them for a number of years and I beat the hell out of them and they just keep on going. I've played little and big rooms and no one ever said it was n't load enough.

#191990 - 09/22/06 07:39 AM Re: Just won a pair of Eon10 G2s on Ebay
Dnj Offline

I A/B'd them with others & didnt think they had enough bass response without the sub.

#191991 - 09/22/06 01:19 PM Re: Just won a pair of Eon10 G2s on Ebay
Beakybird Offline

I think that if you are going to do a large hall or an outdoor gig, you need the sub, especially for the kind of dance music that young people like.

I think that at moderate volume, especially for someone like me who does the elderly circuit, the bass response is quite adequate.

Anyway, it definitely isn't a step down for me, coming from the Yamaha MSR100s.

Beakybird

#191992 - 09/22/06 01:29 PM Re: Just won a pair of Eon10 G2s on Ebay
Dnj Offline

just EQ the low end for a bit of bottom.

#191993 - 09/22/06 03:44 PM Re: Just won a pair of Eon10 G2s on Ebay
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Beakybird

I thought I'd check out what you got on ebay and no matter what I key in, what you're talking about does not show up as a current auction, nor does it show up as a completed auction going back to around Sept 7th. I'm wondering when you won these. I searched under every possible way of how they might have been listed and nothing shows up for one JBL 10 Eon G2 at $272 nor does anything show up for a pair of them selling for $544.

I buy and sell a lot on ebay and unless I have somehow missed something, something seems to be rather strange here if you bought them in the last few weeks.

What was the title description and/or item number? What was the sellers user ID? What was the date that you bought them? I am hoping I just overlooked something here. Otherwise the listing you saw has been removed, which usually means.....you know what.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 09-22-2006).]

#191994 - 09/22/06 08:40 PM Re: Just won a pair of Eon10 G2s on Ebay
Beakybird Offline

Hi Scott: Here is the item #: 220027943959. The final price was $271 each, my mistake. I paid $40 for shipping. I remember you got yours, an almost unused pair, for $550 including shipping. I'm paying $582 about 1 1/2 years later. Still a pretty good deal. With deals like these on the internet, it makes no sense to buy them new at the dealer.

Beakybird

#191995 - 09/22/06 10:10 PM Re: Just won a pair of Eon10 G2s on Ebay
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Beakybird

I checked out the auction. Everything looks legit. I only posted the above because I wanted to make sure everything was ok with this transaction before you spent your money. I was very concerned because I couldn't find the item at even a close price.

I am very happy for you. You did REAL GOOD!! You will love 'em. And wow, what a memory from when I bought mine. It was the very best move I could have ever made. I tried all the big name speakers before I bought these. As everyone was talking 15" speakers at the time, I tested them out along with 12" and 10" speakers.

Each to their own, but what Jen and I noticed was, the bigger the speaker, the more crud and disturbing sounds were introduced. We used the sound of $73,000 home organs be our guide to sound as we were both in the business at the time. We were looking for a pretty and rich sound. It turns out the JBL 10 Eon G2's had that sound.

In a phone conversation with Tony Barbetta he admitted that keyboards sound better through 10" speakers. I asked him why it seemed that a good share of the keyboard players used 15" speakers if that was the case, and he laughed and said they just think they needed them.

For those that like speakers other than 10", no disrespect meant. Just a few observations and personal taste here.

The funny thing is I hadn't heard the JBL 10's. It just turned out somebody constructed a very bad auction in the wrong category even. I was the only bidder when I bid about 1 minute before the auctions end. I figured for that price I would win whether I liked them and kept them or if I sold them for a profit. Nothing to lose at the prices we got ours for Beakybird.

If they don't come with the manual, JBL will send you a copy for free.

Here's a few things that I've found that you might find helpful to try. I get the best results almost always by setting them at arm's length if I am stretching a bit from my bench slightly behind me and almost always tilted up. You will be able to hear yourself better than ever and the sound bounces off the ceiling and fills the room very nicely with nobody getting blasted in the face. Being on the floor, you will have more bass than you need. My wife has had to have me turn down the bass on occasion, even at an outside gig. I set the volume knob so that the white mark is pointing towards the number 3. Even the couple of times I personally wished I had more power in a very large hall, I was still asked to turn down.

If you do want a little more punch, I've found that using a Behringer UB82 gives some more headroom. Also, something I found rather interesting was I found when using the mixer the sound quality changed on the PSR3000 that I had to that of the Tyros in a large way. This is with the EQ set to flat.

If I had to do it over again, I would get the UB502. Smaller, cheaper and still more than I need. I rarely use mine as it is with my Tyros 2.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHUB502

If you want them to be easier to carry than using JBL's idea of a handle you can get some web belting from a marine supply store. I took off the front speaker plate and inserted the belt so the screws would go through it and then screw the plate back on. If you do this you'll want to singe the end of the belt and use a soldering gun to burn the hole for the screws. This will keep them from unravelling.

If you decide you want covers for them, you can get parachute bags for about $12-$15. They are the exact perfect size for them.

Anyway, just a few ideas for you to consider.

Enjoy

Scott
http://ScottLMusic.com

#191996 - 09/23/06 02:44 AM Re: Just won a pair of Eon10 G2s on Ebay
Beakybird Offline

I'm glad that you are so happy with the JBL's.

I don't get what a mixer can do to enhance the sound, Scott. The keyboard already has an internal mixer. What do you mix? The eq? Something else?

Thanks for the parachute idea - but no thanks! I purchased two authentic gig bags - at $90 including shipping.

I want to do the same thing I did with my Yamaha MSR100's - that is perform with the speakers inside the bag. We'll see if it works.

I do so many shows, about 500 a year, and it becomes a bit of a grind, all the travel, setup and take down time. I do all I can to cut down on setup and take down.

I will take your advice about pointing the speakers up. I've read that the music sounds better when the sound is defracted (or is it refracted) rather than with the speaker pointed towards you.

Keep on enjoying your JBL's.

Beakybird

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online