SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#191970 - 10/27/04 06:03 AM PSR 2K Midi Songs Programming Tricks
MusicJohn Offline

Loc: Garner, NC, USA
This is a hard question to formuilate but here goes:

I have several Midi Songs which I have downloaded/purchased and are so good that they sound just like the record (Yes, I say Record and not CD!) How are these songs done? Is it likely through some software, or a combination of playing it and adding stuff later? I must believe that software is involved. I cant see someone having the time/patience and wherewithall to do it through direct recording only.....Am I wrong?

I ask this question, because I am slowly building a studio in my home with a 2K and a PC as the base, with a bunch of midi files that I hope to set up 'Set Lists' of songs to perform in public.

BTW - I am a guitar player, and will add the synth as backup.

I hope this made sense to someone. You people have always been very helpful to us Novices.

------------------
MusicJohn

#191971 - 10/27/04 06:11 AM Re: PSR 2K Midi Songs Programming Tricks
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
There are several ways this can be accomplished, one of which is directly on your PSR-2000. You'll find detailed instructions at http://psrtutorial.com/L/REC/qrecord.html

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#191972 - 10/27/04 06:36 AM Re: PSR 2K Midi Songs Programming Tricks
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
IMHO, you will never get these professional results using only the built in swquencer.
these midi files are usually the result of many hours of work by professionals using external seq software, and dedicated midi controllers.

#191973 - 10/27/04 07:11 AM Re: PSR 2K Midi Songs Programming Tricks
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Like trident said - the midis that sound almost like real audio are a result of sophisticated software and step and loop recording/editing techniques.

I have a midi sile of Santana's 'Smooth' that was given to me by a novice editor. The guitar solo is amazingly realistic, so I asked him if he played it on a midi guitar. He said he actually entered the notes, pitchbends and modulations item by item. What a job!

I think you can make decent midis with your 2k and PC, but they will sound like the rhythms you use, not necessarily the exact drum or bass lines of the actual song. And that's what I think helps make the midis you have sound so realistic.

#191974 - 10/27/04 07:52 AM Re: PSR 2K Midi Songs Programming Tricks
MusicJohn Offline

These answers are good. I think I understand what you are syaing, adn as I jump into the PC/2K system, I will learn as I go.

The PSR recording site is very helpful.

Thanks to all of you.

BTW - I got a Midi of 'Peaceful Easy Feeling' and 'Centerfield' which knocks my socks off in quality, layers and sounds. When I play along with PEF, going through my PA, you would swear that I had a full band behind me.

Thanks again.

------------------
MusicJohn

#191975 - 10/27/04 08:40 AM Re: PSR 2K Midi Songs Programming Tricks
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I used to buy midi sequences from a company that had real musicians play the tune with midi instruments. They may have then edited it on a pc. But the basic drum, piano, guitar, bass, sax, were played by humans. Of course their sequences were the best because they didn't sound machine made.
I think that answers your question, and of course there are some guys that do a great job creating sequrnces all on a pc or on their keyboard, the biggest trick is knowing your instrument inside out, what it will and won't do.

------------------
qqqwq@hotmail.com

#191976 - 10/27/04 09:08 AM Re: PSR 2K Midi Songs Programming Tricks
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
There is a huge quantity of midi files made by Roland corporation back in 1991 or 1993, that sound awsome, circulating the net.
Of course they probably sound best in a Sound Canvas, but any decent GM set will do.
Some of them, are truly masterpieces, especially if the song is a mid' 80's hit (most of them were made by synths and drum machines).
They are copyrighted of course.

#191977 - 10/27/04 09:38 AM Re: PSR 2K Midi Songs Programming Tricks
TresorTX Offline

Loc: Dallas, Boston, Orlando
MusicJohn,
Thanks for asking the question. I am in the same boat you are, with a 2K and a computer and asking... OK, now what do I do! I too would appreciate tips from you experienced players to help us avoid mistakes. I have been looking for high quality midi files sa the ones you talk about. I would appreciate any suggestions. MusicJohn I would like to email you directly.
Thanks, Russ

PSR S900
Korg PA1XPRO
Kurzweil PC3X
Logitech Z

#191978 - 10/27/04 05:39 PM Re: PSR 2K Midi Songs Programming Tricks
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The secret to finding good files is to spend lots of time searching through the zillions of files, then saving the best ones. The easiest and one of the most efficient search engines for midi files is www.musicrobot.com

BTW, I've often heard folks claim that you cannot make a good midi file using the PSR sequencers. Well, maybe I'm just not a coneseur of midi files, but I sincerely believe it would be difficult to top those created by Will Stewart. You'll find them posted at http://psrtutorial.com/P/Stewart.html

Enjoy,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#191979 - 10/28/04 05:20 AM Re: PSR 2K Midi Songs Programming Tricks
MusicJohn Offline

Gary,

That Musicrobot site is great. I was looking for a good centralized listing. I will bet to find many of what I need there, and also the Will Stewart site.

Thanks

MusicJohn

------------------
MusicJohn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online