SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#191877 - 11/29/00 08:39 PM Where can I demo and buy a Solton X1?
Doug Norton Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
Hi all --

I have been in the group for just a few days, and have really enjoyed soaking up all of the comments from all of you about the various instruments, pros and cons, personal biases, etc. I had originally posted looking for info on a lower-end PSR-GX76, and after finding one locally to demo, I must say that I am less than impressed, even at $300.00. The feature set and sound set will not set well with the other equipment that I use, and I'm afraid that I would not be happy long with it.

So today, I went out and demo'ed the higher end Yamaha crop, i.e., PSR540, 640, 740, and 9000. It seems that the 540 was the best deal for the money (approx. $500.00). The styles and sounds did not seem to improve much from one machine to the next. The Live and Cool voices on the 9000 were very nice, I do admit, and there was a great deal more flexibility in operations on the 9000, but my unit will be used primarily in studio for low-to-no-budget demo recordings (songwriters, etc.), so performance flexibility is less of an issue.

The consensus of non-9000 users on this group seems to go for the Solton X1. The problem is, I don't know where to go to look for one, have no idea what they sound like, look like, or what they cost. I asked the Yamaha dealer today about them, and he acted like he had never heard of Solton.

So, my question is: is there an on-line demo of the X1, like in mp3 format or similar? What about dealers? I am aware that George Kaye sells them, but I am in Tennessee, and he is in CA, so the travel would be prohibitive. Of course, I wouldn't mind buying one from George.....on that point, what kind of money are we generally looking at for one of these? Thanks to all in advance for your responses.

--DN

#191878 - 12/03/00 07:59 PM Re: Where can I demo and buy a Solton X1?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hello DN,
You may contact Bell/Solton at 1-800-734 5418 or email them bellsolton@aol.com to find the closest location nearest you in Tennesse.
The Psr 740 is I think the best value in the Yamaha line. There are a few things the Psr 740 has that the Psr9000 doesn't. #1. A keypad to enter style or voice selection.#2 The 740 has a cool groove feature that offers multiple variations to a style.
I work for Guitar Center in Towson Maryland. I am the only Guitar Center that carry's The X1 and X4. Guitar Center offers a 30 day trial period with the purchase of any keyboard. If you are not happy you could return it to a Guitar Center near you !
I could provide you with a Quick Start Video manual for the Solton X1 and X4. The cost is $25.00. Or just call Dan O at 410 821 5200 or email oneils4@home.com
Good Luck......................Dan O

#191879 - 12/04/00 09:16 AM Re: Where can I demo and buy a Solton X1?
Roel Offline

Hi,

I'll send you some short pieces of music I recorded with my X1.

Roel

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online