SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#191801 - 03/22/01 12:01 AM SD 1 Demo
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Yesterday I've attended the SD1 public demo here in Rome; I've tried to send my first impressions in as I got home, but I was so tired that I posted to the wrong forum... Well, here it goes. Specs first:
the SD1 is 64 notes multitimbral, has 48 Mb of ROM sounds and 16 Mb of RAM (where it can load .wav, .msp and .ins files, to be used both as solo instruments or for the rhytm parts). It comes with 307 styles, 109 of them on flash memory (rewritable); has a 6 Giga HD, a computer interface (PC and Mac), 13 Arabic scales, 3 digital multieffects, a vocalizer/harmonizer (you can plug a mic in, sing and sound like a male/female chorus in real time). Can sample at 16 bit-44.1 KHz, has a 16 tracks 150.000 notes sequencer, a 240 x 128 backlit LCD, 4 outputs, a video interface (optional) and weighs 16.5 kg (or 36.3 lbs).
Now my impressions: the instrument looks nice, with a silver-gray color and even the floppy disk (on the top right) is well integrated with the overall design; the display, however, doesn't seem at the same level as the one I've seen on the VA7.
The styles: they are overall terrific, the most natural I've ever heard; I especially liked the Slow Swing, the Big Band, the Rhytm and Blues (just like a real band playing onstage) and, overall, I would say that they can keep your fingers glued to the keyboard for hours. The SD1 has two distinct drum sections: section A is based on sampled drum hits triggered by midi notes (as usual), while section B is composed of sampled rhytm patterns; the two sections work in a very well integrated manner, with section B overtaking in more "exposed" parts (like intros, breaks, fill-ins and endings): this gives an amazing feeling of realism.
Now the sounds: they are mostly good, compared to other arranger keyboards; sounds I liked most: drums and percussions, basses, acoustic guitars, voice, accordions, flutes.
Other sounds were less remarkable; I cannot say for sure (lack of a direct comparison) but I would say the the VA7 has better electric pianos and the PSR9000 maybe has better organs, but is difficult to be sure. The acoustic piano (stereo) is in the same league as the one on the VA7 and the PSR9000, but it was demoed with very fast scales, so I could judge only the attack portion of the sound. All in all, I would say that this a terrific instrument, almost intimidating: I think that one has to ask if he will really be able to dig it or will just scratch the surface.
I have been given a lot of paper stuff (and even a CD with 16 songs); so, if someone has questions, even on technical issues, I hope I'll be able to answer.
Happy playing to everyone.

#191802 - 03/22/01 12:29 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
Amelius Offline

Loc: Milan, Italy
Dreamer,

thanks for your report. Do you know if SD1 will be demoed in Milan and when?

Any comments on the user friendliness of the sequecer recording?

Happy playing to you all.

------------------
Amelio

#191803 - 03/22/01 12:43 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Amelio,

The SD-1 WAS demonstrated in the Novotel in
Milano on march 19th !!! I thought you knew because I emailed yuo this information about
10 days ago. Apparently you did not get it which is a shame. However I am sure that the
keyboars will now soon be in some of the major shops in Milan as well.

john.

#191804 - 03/22/01 12:48 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
Amelius Offline

Loc: Milan, Italy
John,

sorry I did not get your e-mail... What a pity. Thank you so much, however, having been so kind to tell me about that.

Ciao

------------------
Amelio

#191805 - 03/22/01 12:47 PM Re: SD 1 Demo
Dreamer Offline

SD 1, chapter 2
Well, I have read all the brochures they gave me yesterday and so can add a few things to the SD 1 features.
The SD 1 has a semi-weighted keyboard (with velocity and aftertouch) with 12 response curves (6 fixed and 6 programmable); functions included are portamento, legato, harmony and octave. The pitch bend wheel and the modulation wheel can be assigned to parameters like wha-wha, bend, LFO, DCA, cut off, morphing and rotor. There are 128 user voices to save the sounds you may have modified and 128 programs (with 4 sounds each) for the right section, with velocity switch, cross switch and morphing between sounds. The right section has also a second voice, which can be programmed and stored within a program. There are more than 1000 percussive sounds with 24 drum sets plus another 24 drum sets completely programmable, eventually with external samples (in .wav format). Each style has 3 intros, 3 fills and 3 endings. There are 2 micro inputs (one XRL) with a gain control and 4 main outputs plus 2 micro outputs. The vocalizer has a separate output. The midifile player has an "intelligent transpose" function and it's possibile to sync a midifile with an audio file; midifiles can be converted in karaoke (.kar) format and the lyrics -ca va sans dire- can be read on the display.
Unofficially, the price should be about 3000 euros (something less in USD).
That's all, folks!

#191806 - 03/23/01 12:06 PM Re: SD 1 Demo
BrianUK Offline

Loc: Scotland, UK
Hey Dreamer,

How many variations are there for each style?

Brian.

P.S. The song CD you got. Is it an official demo CD that anyone can get or is it just a home-made one?

#191807 - 03/23/01 01:32 PM Re: SD 1 Demo
Dreamer Offline

Brian,
each style has the two usual variations, and each variation sounds different if you play a major, minor or seventh chord. Furthermore, there is a function called "interactive arranger", which activates more or less rhytmic tracks depending on the melodic line you play with your right hand. What is really interesting is the possibility to sync to the rhytm section an audio loop (even sampled by you). This loop will be stored (as a .wav file) on the hard disk and will be loaded automatically each time you select that style. So I would say that the possibilities are endless...
The CD contains 16 short songs composed on the SD1, without external instruments or effects. Eight of them can be found at http://www.ketronclub.it (there are links to the Solton clubs of USA and Germany). Maybe if you ask them they will send you a copy; they were really kind (there was even a cocktail party before the demo) and I have to agree with DanO: Sandro Fontanella is really a nice person and an accomplished player.

#191808 - 03/26/01 04:14 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
Senior Member Offline

I was considering the possibility to buy the SD1, but I would like to hear from someone else a comment on the overall quality. Does anyone know of (any) weak spots?
Thanks

#191809 - 03/26/01 05:08 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Hey Junior Member,

Senior Member is a strange name for a junior member. Weak points on the SD1? Study the instrument and find out for yourself. Ask about reliability, service, and support. Ask about Solton's reliability on other product lines (like the X1). Do your homework . . . go play some arrangers, then make the decision by yourself . . . nobody can decide for you.

#191810 - 03/26/01 06:08 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
Senior Member Offline

Steve
(as a fancy name Stevizard isn't bad either)
thank you for your kind reply (guess you didn't sleep well, uh?)

#191811 - 03/26/01 06:40 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
tom moon Offline

Loc: Haddonfield, NJ, USA
re: weak spots. very few. I played a prototype SD-1 at Bell Solton in nyc recetly, and would say that the only area I found lacking was the electric pianos and mallets. the acoustic is great, but none of the electrics had it. rhodes was mushy, as were the mallets. but the heart of the instrument -- the patterns and drum samples -- are really great.

#191812 - 03/26/01 08:29 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Dreamer says "each style has 2 variations" but the SD1, like the X1 has 4 variations per style.
Senior, I've had the SD1 now for over 2 months along side the 9000 pro, and both of these keyboards are great. Sounds are strong on both, features are strong on both, ergonomics goes to Yamaha while the style quality goes to Solton.
I beleive that once you own any of the higher end arranger keyboards and take some time to learn where things are, they become "comfortable" to use.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#191813 - 03/26/01 08:30 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
Stevizard Offline

Hey Senior Member,

How did you know? Yeah, Monday mornings are tough . . . and I was a wee bit cranky. Sorry if I over-reacted earlier. I've had tons of coffee and am just now entering my human persona. I suppose the Stevizard handle is a bit flashy - but I'm just a flashy guy (not that I wear a ton of gold like Tom Moon).

Yeah, it's funny but if you check my posts on Monday morning . . . on second thought - don't. Guess I'm more ready to retire than I thought. Problem is, I've got another 13 years until 62 (hurry up old age).

Gosh, I wish I was as old as Uncle Dave! Say Dave, what was it like to dance in front of Benny Goodman's band?

Regards to all,
Steve

#191814 - 03/26/01 10:07 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
Dreamer Offline

George,
after reading your post I realized that I had been incorrect; when I said that the SD1 has two variations I was thinking of the "Basic" and "Advanced" ones, but then I realized that each one has two different sub-variations. So you are correct: overall, there are four variations.
Sorry for having unintentionally misled anyone.

#191815 - 03/26/01 12:07 PM Re: SD 1 Demo
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Steve -
The first time I danced was at my 8th grade graduation party. The news was full of a big rock concert in New York, (somewhere on a Farm named Yasger's), and the radio was full of news about some guy taking "small steps" for mankind....Neil somebody. So, you see "OLD MAN" - I'm just a kid! Now....... go take yer nap before you get cranky. My 8 yr. old is getting off the school bus... I gotta go! Maybe we'll color today

#191816 - 03/26/01 12:36 PM Re: SD 1 Demo
Senior Member Offline

Stevizard,
yes, we all are under pressure most of time...if you think of it, it's frightening how, once you click the "submit reply" button, there's nothing more to do - your words are gone and are there, for the whole world to see...and words can hurt, more than stones, unless you can read what lies behind them...
By the way, thank you all for replying to my question. Here it goes...CLICK.

#191817 - 03/27/01 07:27 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
Stevizard Offline

Uncle Dave,

You've got an 8 year old? That's a lot to take on for the grey and aging crowd. My youngest is 16. I love her dearly but I'm looking forward to the day when the birdies have left the nest and its just me and the wife again . . . the gentle life. BTW, what kind of coloring books are you into? Don't tell me you're hitting that second childhood age. I didn't think we did that till we hit the alzheimers-club. (Don't flame me, some of my best friends don't remember who I am.)

Regards,
Steve

#191818 - 03/27/01 07:29 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
tom moon Offline

Loc: Haddonfield, NJ, USA
Stevizard, you're really winning friends with comments like that "ton of gold" swipe. it's always dangerous to make assumptions, especially about someone else's situation. fact is, you have no idea what I've gone through or am going through now -- financially, spiritually or otherwise. and guess what? it is none of your business. if you knew me you would understand how injurious that kind of comment is. I've read similar diatribes from you before, and I've always felt the same way: We gather here to talk about music. And musical instruments. Not issues of class/socio-economic status/etc. There are other places on the net perfect for that discourse. Please, go find them.

#191819 - 03/27/01 09:43 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
Jupiter5 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
I've had the SD1 now for over 2 months along side the 9000 pro, and both of these keyboards are great. Sounds are strong on both, features are strong on both, ergonomics goes to Yamaha while the style quality goes to Solton.

Hi Goerge

As a kn6000 owner, I always assumed that the "Yamaha's"(9000's etc) where quite difficult to use by comparison to the kn6000.

Anyway George, I have had an offer to get a yamaha 9000 pro - and could have one by the end of the week. What I want to know is: is the Yamaha 9000 pro advanced enough to Part exchange my kn6000 for? (my dealer is asking £1000 +my kn6000 now - although i may have to find my own speakers.). I want good Acoustic Piano sounds, and also good string/Cello/Viloin sounds as well, plus the usual ones too. Are the soloist sounds better than the PSR9000? - and is there any advancement over the psr9000 at all in the Pro version? (I understand it has more ROM (48), so does that mean the Pro 9000 has more - and better samples?. Also what speakers would you recommend (cheapo ) to start me off. I only play at home george, so 40 watts or so would be enough but wouldn't want to pay more than £100 ($150-$160)

All in all - is the Yamaha 9000 pro, a good all round keyboard that can be "professional" without any other keyboard connected to it (though i do have a Yamaha A4000 sampler) I am one of these "one keyboard band" types! - and like a excellent set of sounds all in one unit (never taken to modules - despite my purchase of a sampler - which is slow to use, and I don't use it that often now). If the sampler on the Pro 9000 is good, then I may get rid of the Yamaha A4000 sampler, and use that as a sole source for sampling.

regards

Tony

#191820 - 03/27/01 11:55 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
Stevizard Offline

Tom,

It was a joke -- didn't mean to hit a nerve. A diatribe is more than 1 sentence.

#191821 - 03/27/01 07:13 PM Re: SD 1 Demo
George Kaye Offline

Jupiter,
I would be happy to give you my opinion about trading in your KN6000 for the Yamaha 9000 pro, but remember, this is my "opinion" and others might night agree with me.
In my limited times trying the KN6000 and KN6500 it has been my opinion in past models (5000) and in the current models that the technics sounds, especially drums are not as good as Yamaha sounds. Being that both of these are Japanese made, I've always compared these two the most closely and I've compared the Italian models including Solton, Generalmusic and Roland in their group. In the end though I realize they are all pro arranger keyboards. I have always thought that Yamaha and Technics have choosen to use Japanese Style creators where the other companys have used European. However, during the past year I have learned that this might not always be true. But, I will just compare the Yamaha and the Technics right now.
I like the Yamaha alot. It's piano, I think is much better and I think the rest of the sounds are generally more realistic to my ear. Yes there are some new solo orchestral instruments which are an improvement over the PSR9000, but generally it's the great feeling 76 note keyboard, the new vocal harmony XLR mic input and of course having 128 note polyphony is a real plus over the technics. Every 9000 pro owner loves their new keyboard and I've sold many in the last 2 months. I don't think you would regret trading in your KN keyboard for this one. I am in the US and don't understand British Pounds. Please tell me how much US dollars plus your keyboard you are spending so I can tell you if you are getting a good deal.
For speakers I hope you have the ability to hear and purchase in your country the new Yamaha YST-MS50's. These little beauties are a three piece set including two 20 watt satalite speakers and a 40 watt subwoofer. I hate to call them computer speakers, because people don't think they should sound as great as they do. I almost always sell a pair of these speakers when I sell any keyboard in my store, including Tritons, XP80's and all arranger keyboards when people need an extra 80 watts. And, the amazing thing is these speakers sell for $149.00.
I hope this helps
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#191822 - 03/27/01 09:02 PM Re: SD 1 Demo
Jupiter5 Offline

thanks for the Info George. just use this to convert pounds into dollars http://www.argonet.co.uk/glencall/curr.html

These are probably the speaker you are talking about George, http://www.rlsupplies.co.uk/itm00684.htm
and they are Computer speakers in a way, so that can sound a little "off-putting" to the buyer I suppose.
£1000, will be $1,434 dollars and £65.00 for the speakers will be $93.25

bear in mind though, that I would only get about £950-£1000 for my kn6000 in a private sale, so i am being offered more from my dealer than I would get privatly. Are the keys Semi-weighted George?. Anyway, thanks for the info. (I'll miss these scat, doo bobs cat sounds mind you, unless the yamaha pro has something to offer in this department.

regards

Tony

[This message has been edited by Jupiter5 (edited 03-27-2001).]

#191823 - 03/28/01 01:14 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
George Kaye Offline

There is a really good vocal scat voice on the 9000pro, the Yamaha speakers you refer to seem to be the same except that the model number ends with a 55 instead of a 50 and there is no USB port on the YST-MS50. The picture does look like the speakers so I would guess they are the same.
The price your dealer is offering seems fair to me.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#191824 - 03/28/01 06:11 PM Re: SD 1 Demo
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi
has anybody been able to listen to the demos listed above? I have tried many times with no results.
Thanks for your reply
Eric

#191825 - 03/28/01 08:21 PM Re: SD 1 Demo
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
George and others..
You mentioned that the Psr9000 has Scat type sounds. Have you tried the vocal drum kits on the SD1 ? I am curios what you think .
DanO

#191826 - 03/28/01 08:49 PM Re: SD 1 Demo
George Kaye Offline

Dan,
I've listened to the vocal drum kits on the SD1 and they sound very good. What I like about the Yamaha 9000 pro and I think this is what some of the readers are talking about is the ability to play melody type playing and having different vocal layers be abled to be played on the keyboard. Being able to use velocity cross switching to change the vocal type sounds. Roland uses this really well on the new VA products. It is the same vocal sounds they used on the FP9 piano. They call these scat voices. Yamaha has added these in their new voices in the 9000pro.
On the SD1, the vocal kits you are talking about are mapped as drum voices and so are available only on drum sets and so each note plays a different vocal sound. Perhaps these sounds can be used as actual voices but I have not explored the posibility yet.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#191827 - 03/29/01 08:14 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
Ketron_AJ Offline

Loc: Middletown, DE
Dan and George et all.

Yes, playing voice/samples is different from the vocal kit voice/styles. To get an idea of what these sound like, LOAD into the X-1 the Contemporary sounds, LOAD the pattern 'Vocalize' ... and just listen.

The difference?

* With the vocal kit (Loaded into RAM in X-series/on board in SD-1), the patterns are pre-programmed/determined. When you play a pattern that uses this kit, you should hear the same parts looped (every say 4, 8, etc measures). The vocal kit comprises of various vocal samples assigned and accessed via different keys (you can hear the independent parts in the X-series via accessing the RAM banks once you have loaded the CONTEMP sounds... similar to accessing your KICK/BASS drum, congas etc in your STANDARD drum kit when in DRUM EDIT mode.

*Using on board RAM, you can actually sample a sound and play-back with a style (just as you would play back say a PIANO voice). With the SD-1 sync-groove tech expanded to sync wave files with patterns/midi files, I believe you can further more adjust the sampled tempo to match current pattern/midi file tempo but still maintain pitch (and vis-versa). These voices are however NOT played via using a style/pattern. They are played using the RHS keys ... just as you would play any other voices on the keyboard!

A good example of this would be to sample a live choir singing "We will be heard" in the key of 'C'. Now upon playback (after temp matching/editing) using say an 8beat style, call up this new sample and play a 'C' note on the RHS for the first 2 bars "We will ...". Next play an 'F' note on the 3rd bar "...be heard". You could further enrich this by playing complete chords on the RHS. (Note: With the X-series boards, you will notice different tempos/pitch as you add more keys to your chord). As George mentioned, in the SD-1 this is similar to ROLAND's Variphrase tech.

This should be exiting!!

AJ

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online